Are these Lavenders?

SO I need some help here. I got this pair from 2 different places, was told they both we just “plain lavenders” However they are so different from each other that I now question if they are even lavenders? The first set of phone if the female, Taken outside but in the shade. The second close up of her eye is taken in the sun so you can better see the actual color of it.

6 Likes

To add to this, this is the male. same as the female, last photo of his eye

was done in the sun.

5 Likes

They both look Lavender to me, not sure if there’s anything else. There’s a lot of variation in expression of any morph, especially so between different sexes. I’ll tag @solarserpents & @caryl as they may have more insight here.

5 Likes

The first one definitely looks like a regular lavender, maybe hypo as well?

The second one is throwing me off because he has some faint yellows, which lavender does not typically have. It’s giving me amaretto vibes though.

5 Likes

He’s the one I really wonder about. I even think sometimes there is some ultra or something there?

4 Likes

Certainly could be!

4 Likes

Bonus! These are babies that I just got from these two. I’m seeing Tessera but neither one is tessera so I guess stripe? I’m so confused on these two LOL

8 Likes

Very pretty animals! I’m seeing Lavender in both. The coloring and the ruby pupils are pretty usual for Lavender. The female is light, possibly some form of Hypo or even Charcoal, though possibly not. As @noodlehaus said, “There’s a lot of variation in expression of any morph, especially so between different sexed.”

I concur with @solarserpents on the male. Those lovely yellow tints indicate that something other than Lavender is present. He is Lavender, but there’s something else visible. Maybe Caramel, maybe Ultra. We can guess, but without knowing his parentage, it’s going to take breeding trials to really know.

What a beautiful clutch! Those aren’t Stripe. Some do indeed look Tessera. Would love to see belly pics. Given that Tessera is a dominant trait, these babies must have a Tessera parent. Neither of these animals is Tessera, so logically your female must have retained sperm from a previous breeding to a Tessera male. That’s really the only thing which makes sense.

5 Likes

Those 2 lovely parents certainly produced some “eye candy@ babies! Congratulations! I tried to pick out which baby I liked the best but I couldn’t! :heart::two_hearts::100::white_check_mark:

3 Likes

@caryl What do you think about this one? Just hatched out of the largest egg in the clutch. he’s as big as some of my 1 months old babies! I’ll be happy to get you belly photos of any of them just let me know what ones!

5 Likes

That’s one pretty cool :sunglasses: baby for sure! Congratulations on a winner! :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

Very pretty. Looks to me like a Motley Tessera, obviously Lavender, either Hypo or Ultra. It could be a pinstripe type Motley without Tessera involved, but those usually have more visible lateral striping than I see here. They also tend to hand more irregularity in the dorsal Stripe. Motley Tesseras are known for long, clean, narrow dorsal striping with wide borders, exactly like this baby. Thoughts, @solarserpents, @noodlehaus ?

5 Likes

Actually, I had a thought. In order to see if it’s even viable, however, I need more info.

@dream-scales could you by any chance contact the breeder of the female and ask if she was previously paired, and if so, the genetics of the male? Also if she wasn’t, what are the lineage of her dam and sire? I’d get that information from the breeder of the male, too, if you don’t already have it.

3 Likes

@noodlehaus @caryl I asked and they are saying she wasn’t ever paired and this would be her first clutch. I do have a Tessera male here that I don’t think I ever put her with (put my memory’s not what it used to be LOL) However, that male is a coral ghost. Proven many times from his breeder and has never given anything with red eyes. Anything from him would be normal somethings, right? In fact I bred him to a Anery het Amel female this year and nothing with red eyes at all.

4 Likes

So I’ve been having a discussion with @solarserpents & @caryl, and I plan to reach out to a few other breeders, but I suspect that there are some things about Tessera (or just corn patterns in general) we’re not quite sure on. It’s just a theory, I’m a newbie, could be totally wrong, but…That’s why I’m interested in the lineage of the dam & sire of these “Tessera” babies, because I wonder if there is any link. Since you say this is her first time breeding, that makes me even more curious. Knowing what pairings created the two animals you paired gives the missing bit of info.

2 Likes

Could you post a picture of your coral ghost tessera too?

5 Likes

You could be onto something Jess! It makes sense to me! :thinking:

3 Likes

@solarserpents Sure! Here are photos of the Tezzera male.

5 Likes

So all the babies are now out of eggs. This is the last one to hatch

5 Likes

If the dam was a virgin, and you have a Tessera , I’d presume that he is the sire. If he’s a Coral Ghost, it looks like he’s het Lavender and you hit crazy odds although that’s going to be even more clear after the babies have shed. Just from this one picture set of him I wouldn’t rule out his being Lavender. Natural light would help. The dam is apparently at least het for some allele in the Hypo complex. The ruby pupils you’re seeing are typical for Lavenders. They can become less noticeable as the animals grow and melanin accumulates. Some lose the ruby color altogether. They’re also seen in other Hypo-based morphs. My RF Strawberry Granite has them, for instance. (The term “red eyes” usually refers to red irises, as seen with Amels.)

4 Likes