Are these okeetee or normals?

Hi there, I’m just finishing my first year breeding, so I can offer you some of what I’ve experienced/done. I did not brumate any of my animals for my first year, and I didn’t find it had any bearing on the success. However, because I did not brumate, I started pairing in February to get a better chance of fertile eggs. You can wait for the female’s first shed of the year, I didn’t factor in a male shed for mine.

I will mention this: if you breed, be ready for the worst case scenario. I had a female end up eggbound, needed to be spayed and cost me over $1500 when all was said and done. Got very lucky and she made it through everything.

2 Likes

At least the female was ok. So would it be ok to start at the beginning of the year then if so what’s the when should you increase their food? And can you spread 1 male to multiple females?

2 Likes

You can start at the beginning of the year, yes. I’d start increasing feedings around 4-6 weeks before you plan to start breeding, minimum. You’re going to want your animals filled out but not obese, to make sure they have the energy throughout the season. Some males will still eat, others will fully refuse food during breeding season. You can definitely pair males to multiple females, but you’ll likely want to give them a bit of a break between pairings.

2 Likes

Ok thanks but how many meals would they need weekly?

2 Likes

This is more of a case by case thing. Since you’re not brumating, you’ll be feeding all winter. I usually up my females to 2-3x a week depending on their overall weight, body condition, appetite, and feeder size. You don’t want them packing on too much extra weight to the point that it affects their health. You’ll have to research here what works for you and your collection, though I’m sure others can give you better tips than myself.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for the help. Would you continue this feeding schedule after pairing them with the male and after they lay to build their strength back up?

2 Likes

I usually continue to feed my females on the same schedule throughout the season, yes, though I do offer smaller feeders if they are gravid. Some females will eat while gravid, many won’t after a certain point.

2 Likes

Some breeders double clutch their corn snakes but is this advisable?

2 Likes

I do not personally advise double clutching, it can be very hard on the females. Especially if you’re just starting out, it’s better to have fewer clutches so you can get a feel for everything with less risk of being overwhelmed.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for all of the help

2 Likes

Any time, most of us are here to help anyone in the community. :slightly_smiling_face: It’s a lot better to go into things with all the advice you can get, and to share experience with everyone else.

2 Likes

In regards to the first pair, they are not what people expect to see in an Okeetee. I would doubt they are even from an Okeetee lineage. Pretty classics tho

:+1:

4 Likes

Thanks for the help I’m only a little confused on this one now

Not too sure if it’s a charcoal or anery?

2 Likes

It seems very high contrast for charcoal. But the amount of yellow and the lack of intensity in the yellow point towards charcoal.

3 Likes

Thanks but is there a chance that It could have both of the genes then? Or would it still have to have some yellow?

2 Likes

Pretty unlikely, mostly due to the fact that very few people breed anery and charcoal together (a morph called carbon). Here’s some carbons to look at. Anery Charcoal Cornsnake - Ians Vivarium

3 Likes

ah ok thanks for all of the help

2 Likes

how old/size/weight should they be before breeding?

2 Likes

The general suggestion for females is three years old, 3ft long, and 300g. Males can breed pretty young, I’d go no younger than 18-24 months and I personally like my males to be 200-250g bare minimum. I go more by body condition than weight on my males.

3 Likes

So the adults I’m getting should be fine to breed as long as I can get some weight into them as in the pics they do seem under weight. But my younger ones are all around a year some of them almost a year and a half they are all about 3ft and 200g so would they be fine for next season or should I still wait until they are 3?

2 Likes