Are these okeetee or normals?

Yeah, your adults should be good after having meals increased, should put on weight no problem. As for the younger ones, it’s more personal preference, but in my opinion, I’d wait another year with any females just to be on the lower end of the egg binding risk.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for the help

2 Likes

No problem, I’m familiar with how many questions can pop into your head as you move along this journey.

2 Likes

Females definitely should wait until they’re in good physical condition, muscular, but not thin. And I agree that the females need to be 3ft and 3 years and 300 grams before breeding. Males don’t have those restrictions because obviously breeding is a lot less strain on their bodies, but if they’re too young or small, they simply might not know what to do when paired with a female. I would say males should be at least a year old and probably at least 150 grams to have any chance of success. I’ve heard of smaller males successfully breeding though. For the thin ones, I would not brumate them this year and instead feed them regularly and get them out for exercise to help develop muscle tone. Around January, I would reassess body shape to decide whether they should breed that year or wait until the next. I know it’s hard to force yourself to wait an additional year when you’re excited, but if they’re not in good shape going into breeding season (the females anyway), the chances of things going poorly increases.

4 Likes

Ok thanks for the help I think it would be better to let the younger 3 breed after next season then so they would be ready rather than risking their health. At least I will still have the charcoal amel and snow that I can breed for next season.

3 Likes