Argentine Boas vs BCI- differences?

So here’s a question for all of you boa people that are more knowledgeable than me. So I’ve been looking at boas for a while and have found that i really like the look of Argentine Boas. I was wondering, however, if there is any major differences in things like care, demeanor, size, and things like that between Argentine boas and your standard boa. Thank you!

5 Likes

They’re pretty much like Imperator, but Occidentalis tend to get bigger.

8 Likes

Most Argentine boas I’ve had were very vocal/hissing but were still amazing boas. Ive always referred them as the pit bulls of boas due there heads as adults. Like randall said, like Boa Imperator as far as care. I’ll have them again for sure, nothing like a black and white Argentine.

7 Likes

Ok thank you guys! I’m currently in between getting an IMG boa, a sunglow boa, or an Argentine boa so we’ll see what happens. Appreciate the help!

6 Likes

Can’t go wrong with either of those choices. Looking forward to seeing what you go with.

6 Likes

So I may be partial but you really imho can’t go wrong with a boa. Mr CA boas are about as slow and docile as you can get. I think the Argentines may not be a whole lot different. Boas in general are just great snakes. I am excited for you! Can’t wait to see what you decide on! :heart::blush::wink:

4 Likes

Definitely all wonderful choices!!!

5 Likes

I’ve been wanting some BCO as well…

The max pink line sounds really cool as well!
Keep us updated on what you end up going with!

3 Likes
🧞‍♀️

@westridge

This genie can likely share some pictures of both to help make your choices.

Edit: oh, this is not a new thread…

4 Likes

Last tuesday i got this beautiful maxx pink argentine! Here’s picture i just put in the boa constrictors thread

4 Likes

Hesperis22
Hesperis22b

Some shots of Hesperis the BCO at various ages. I do not have pictures of a normal BI.

A few traits of BCO: different head pattern, some specimens get very large, black or near black background color, full “circleback” pattern, fully connected side medallions with a zigzag pattern above, dark gray underside with lighter markings. They may show pink color or be black and white, but there is little to no yellow in the pattern.

Boa imperator is made up of a wide variety of localities that all look different, so it is hard to make generalizations about their appearance. Colombian animals in particular are very different from any of the Central American or Mexican localities. There are also a number of island races that differ greatly from mainland animals.

10 Likes

Lovely descriptions! Thanks for that.

3 Likes