Back to the Good Old Days? Going Insane?

Ok, so I may be super weird, but are there any reptiles that when you check on them you get a flashback to the good old days when you were starting out, or a smell of something? Mine is the smell of newly wet sphagnum moss. Just was wondering if it was for everybody or if I was just starting to go insane :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome to the club. :rofl:

Just kidding, Iā€™ve recently started, so not for me. Though sometimes when handling geckos I think of how far theyā€™ve come from not even being able to be touched to being easily handled.

3 Likes

Whenever I go talk to my first Sweet Boy Kaneki!
Was my first ever Crested Gecko and he started my crazy obsession with them.
Though he will always be my fav, Took me enough to find ā€˜the oneā€™ but I saw his picture and fell in love :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Yes! Ok, so I am not as weird as I thought. That is exactly what I was hoping for.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t been keeping reptiles for very long but holding my 1st bp, Harold, brings back memories of doing school work with him back when I was homeschooled

4 Likes

Whenever I catch a whiff of green bell peppers, Iā€™m transported back to the excitement of my first clutch hatching.

2 Likes

ā€¦did they smell like green bell peppers? Iā€™m intrigued

4 Likes

Corn snake eggs that are near hatching start to smell bell peppery. And then itā€™s a much more noticeable smell once they actually start pipping. Itā€™s weird, but not unpleasant at all. I have only hatched corns, but Iā€™d be interested to know if other species also get that smell!

3 Likes

Oh thatā€™s interesting. I couldnā€™t catch too much of a smell from the ball python eggs, it was pretty overshadowed by the scent of the vermiculite. However there was a faint sweet smell that was similar to that of amniotic fluid

2 Likes

Okay, yeah, Iā€™m insane but at least Iā€™m not alone in my insanity. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Iā€™ve always noted that ā€œabout to hatchā€ scent of my corn snake eggs. Iā€™ve never thought of it as bell peppery, but itā€™s definitely noticeable. Iā€™m certain that Iā€™ll be sniffing bell peppers this year for comparison! :joy:

5 Likes

Sometimes Iā€™ll see some sphagnum moss and itā€™ll remind of of when I first got Irwin, my crested gecko.

1 Like

ā€¦ That isā€¦interesting?
I have never heard of that before. I despise bell peppers so I think I will not be breeding snakes any time soon.

When I smell Reptichip it takes me back to when I first got Kai.

1 Like

Nice! It feels so good to be reminded of something like this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine has to be the rare occasion that a North American rat snake (other than corns) come in at the rehoming centre I work at. Iā€™m originally from the US and my first snake was a huge black rat, so I have a soft spot for them.

3 Likes

The smell of aspen. I remember walking into my friends store when I was seventeen and remembered a clean smell and everytime I smell aspen it brings me back many years later.

2 Likes

Feeling or seeing keeled scales, in general I just really like it but it also reminds me of my first ever reptile which was a Banded water snake named Viper. He was so awesome and beautiful and I still remember the feel of him winding through my fingers.

1 Like

Hello fellow homeschooler! Best thing ever was to be able to do my homework while watching the snakes do their thing, or even better out in the woods where I could listen to the birds and be amongst nature.

3 Likes

Yep! During the 'rona pandemic I would do my homework in my reptile room. Super calming and even helped me focus more on what I needed done.

1 Like

Might be different for me but whenever I try to work in my room I always get distracted and end up watching, maintaining, and handling geckos. But, this usually happens whether or not I work in my room, lol.

2 Likes