Ball python hatchling bug eye

Just hatched today and he has a bug eye. Is this a permanent deformity?

1 Like

It will really depends, if it is bullous spectaculopathy (which is an accumulation of fluid) it can be caused by an infection, duct blockage or failure of the lacrimal duct to develop, in newly hatch snakes it’s usually the latter.

Drainage can be option but finding the right vet that is familiar with the issue and capable to investigate will be the hardest part and if the duct did not develop it will come back.

3 Likes

Thank you, I will keep an eye on it and hopefully it gets better. Just never seen it before. Should I try to flush with saline or put Vaseline on it? Vet is not close at all so hopefully won’t have to take him.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t do anything, let it shed and see how it looks after the first shed, I hatched something similar to that years ago and it look better after it’s first shed, not perfect but a lot better.

1 Like

Sometimes that will shed off. I’ve only seen a few cases like that and none of them were mine.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information.

1 Like

Thank you for replying and for the information

1 Like

So now how is the snake?i have the same problem if u can help me

1 Like

I know this post is really old, but I just had a baby hatch with an eye that looks just like this. Any updates on what happened with yours?

1 Like

How did yours turn out?

2 Likes

Maybe @mblaney can assist. @noodlehaus and @caryl plus many others could possibly help out. Hoping this brings attention for you👍

5 Likes

I suggest starting a fresh thread, as the most frequent users of the forum can change over time. I don’t have enough experience with neonate snakes to comment other than to say that what @stewart_reptiles said sounds in line with what I know about the subject.

A vet visit with an experienced herp vet will help you figure out the best course of action.

4 Likes

I agree. A new thread with all of the details pertinent to your baby will possibly be helpful in getting others who may have seen this to chime in. I’ve not had this particular problem with mine. To the best of my knowledge, the info already in the thread is accurate. And of course, the AVMA info is a great resource. :+1:

3 Likes