Ball python humidity

How do I keep humidity up and constant without spikes. I’m having to mist with a pressure mister twice or three times a day which I’m afraid is causing unhealthy spikes. The humidity is dropping at night to about 39% -42% which is “normally suggested to be around 40-60%” and it’s on the lower end. I have a 4x2x2 with a mesh top all covered by hvac tape except where the light domes are. My substrate is cypress mulch and coco fiber and it stays up when freshly changed ever 3 1/2 weeks or so. But after about a week I keep having to mist daily multiple times and don’t want bacteria build up. I’ve had a ball python pass before that may have already been sick and I’m horrified of anything happening to my snake. I know spikes aren’t great. Any help is appreciated
My enclosure is not bio active currently because it would be destroyed immediately. My ball python is always in front of the glass when he is less that 2 feet long and has all his enclosure to roam in. I’m wondering if this has to do with husbandry I keep getting mixed info on misting and want a permanent solution

2 Likes

Misting IS going to be very short term as it will evaporate away quickly. You should be MIXING water in with the substrate, not merely misting the top surface of the substrate. Coconut husk is very good at absorbing lots of water and slowly releasing it over time, which will keep the humidity up.

What are the temps on the hot and cool sides? How are your sheds?

7 Likes

Knowing your temps and humidity you are trying to keep it at will help us.

Coco husk is best, as already stated. If you have front opening doors, closomg the gaps and even any vents will help.

Using a second water dish on the hot side, filled with water and coco husk will also help.

Under tank heat would be better then abything above. As it will keepnthe surface to temp without heating the air above first.

4 Likes

My temps are good and Steady. and I do mix water with my substrate. I have had my ball python for a little over a month almost two. So I haven’t seen him shed but I know he did shortly before I got him my humidity at rest is typically 40-55 but drops easily. I know ideally it should be 60 and around 70 in she’d. I feel like I’m doing everything right but my humidity stays on the Lower side rather than the idea “around 60” . I have a large water bowl in the middle to raise humidity and soak. Am I doing something wrong I feel like I’ve done all the tricks to raise it and maintain it but it stays on the lower end. I have a digital govee hygrometer and temp and a heat gun I check multiple times a day

3 Likes

My temps are good and Steady. and I do mix water with my substrate. I have had my ball python for a little over a month almost two. So I haven’t seen him shed but I know he did shortly before I got him my humidity at rest is typically 40-55 but drops easily. I know ideally it should be 60 and around 70 in she’d. I feel like I’m doing everything right but my humidity stays on the Lower side rather than the idea “around 60” . I have a large water bowl in the middle to raise humidity and soak. Am I doing something wrong I feel like I’ve done all the tricks to raise it and maintain it but it stays on the lower end. I have a digital govee hygrometer and temp and a heat gun I check multiple times a day

1 Like

Welcome to the community!
Do you have more than 1 light dome? As others have mentioned, under tank heating seems to be easier to keep humidity up consistently. If using under tank heating (instead of overhead heat) is out of the question, adding the other water bowl or larger water bowl can help. I have a small room housing my ball pythons and have a large mixing bowl filled with water that i leave out in the middle of the room also

1 Like

But what are they? More info is needed to help. And what heating sources are you using? lights, CHE, DHP, etc.

1 Like

Humidity hanging on the lower end of the spectrum like that is a non issue if the animal is properly hydrated. My ambient humidity is around 15% so it’s impractical for me to reach anywhere above 40% without heroic efforts. 40% has worked just fine for me across hundreds of animals for most of a decade. Change the water out multiple times a week to encourage more internal hydration and you’ll be fine.

2 Likes

My ambient temps are 84-87 with a 90 basking spot and the cool side is 78-80
I use a DHP and a ceramic heat emitter.

Cu using DHP AND CHP over head. What do you recommend for hearing mats/thermostant on a tank that has an open frame tank stand (zen habitats) with no bottom support, is there a safe tape to use? Heat tape to tape it on to the bottom? Do you have any recommendations on brands?

Are you actually getting bad sheds?

1 Like

Those are both great at drying out the enclosure . However, they can actually be great for increasing humility if there is a large water bowl under them

I wouldn’t use an UTH as they aren’t good at heating the air. They are great for tubs as those hold everything in a bit better but with large PVC enclosures they aren’t.

Never had any issues with under tank heating in pvc enclosures and humidity? Some of the enclosures are extremely large. Id use heat tape over CHE any day.

OP, until you have an actual bad shed i wouldnt over think it. Keep the pythons hydrated and see how it goes. I’ve had success with multiple styles of heating.

1 Like

What temperature do you keep your snake room at? I can’t heat up my room and it is usually around 65-70. UTH just don’t work for my situation and as OP only has one snake, they most likely can’t heat a whole room. This is also a very thin pvc that is only about an 1/8 of an inch if I remember correctly and has a screen top

Usually 74 degrees, max 76. Enclosures range in different sizes and thickness from boaphile to AP. It helps i live in Florida

No my python hasn’t shed yet since I’ve had him

1 Like

I wouldn’t make any changes if your humidity is that close to 40%. Change the water a couple times a week to encourage it to stay hydrated. See how a shed cycle goes, and then make a change if it’s not a good shed.

2 Likes

If you can keep humidity in this range, then i would not worry about it. You will see a lot of info saying (60-70) but 45-55 range while not in shed, is just fine. Wait until it isnin shed and kick it up some. If you can do this and have a good shed, you are good. As @ballornothing also posted, you should be good.

As far as heat, i would switch to uth. You could put a sheet of plywood under the tank to help hold the heat in. Just cut it slightly larger then the tank sonit site solid on it.

1 Like

You could also add a humid hide. That way if the snake decides if it needs more humidity it can slither in there.