Bearded dragons again

I like the name Bel lol

2 Likes

Haha I thought about it but nah I like it so it stays.

3 Likes

So funny thing is I had a list of names and let the wife choose. Among those names were Duke which is from the Latin Dux meaning leader and Scorch. She came up Duke Del Scorcho which is kind of like “leader of the burned”

5 Likes

Man, that name is so creative. Plus it matches her color.

3 Likes

Pretty critter. Love the name!

3 Likes

The whole crew…
Cohabbing dragons is not recommended for beginners or those who do not want baby dragons… cohabbing is challenging to do properly and truthfully this isn’t quite right yet. I’ll be building them an even larger enclosure soon and retrofitting this one for another species entirely. The new bearded dragon enclosure will be 6-7 ft long, 28 inches wide, and 3-4 ft tall. It’ll have 3-4 basking zones, multiple encouraged nesting areas, and hopefully I’ll be able to get some live plants going.
This current enclosure was never intended for this many dragons but things happen and while they’re getting along okay I want to do the very best I can for them not the minimum.
For me personally the benefits of cohabbing make the challenges of it worth the effort. It’s not about making things easier for lack of enclosures. You still have to have enclosures on hand just incase something doesn’t work out. I enjoy watching the dragons interact with one another and how they interact with me differently when there is a group dynamic. While in the wild it may be true that they spend a good amount of time alone they also live near others of their own species as well as individuals of other species which they undoubtedly interact with from time to time. They’ve developed complex ways of signaling and communicating and unless they are allowed to interact freely or you live in Australia you’ll never get to see these things.
Reptiles are not as simple minded as the hobby so often treats them to be. I prefer to give them the opportunity to express their naturally evolved behaviors to the best of my ability.

7 Likes

When we had ours we had them together also :blush:
They’re beautiful lizards!
We had a citrus and a snow (white) who we actually imported over from an amazing breeder, though she wasn’t great and took a while adjusting etc after that long trip! Reggie and Luna :grin: Both girls so no babies for us, it was when I was younger, around 12, Still remember them, they were amazing. Reggie would come when called and all, loved running about the front room!

4 Likes

5 Likes

Thought I’d share some updated pics with you all…
I’ll start with the newest member of the crew Duke Del Scorcho (leader of the burned)

Then theres Meatwad who was originally acquired as a male but now looks quite androgynous. Only adult dragon I’ve ever had that i could not be certain of the sex…

And Starfire who rarely fires up but man when she does its a show…

And the beautiful Miss Dahlia who is almost always fired up.

And the whole gang in one shot…

And just Meatwad and Starfire…

I’ll be building them all an 8ft long enclosure here shortly and that’ll probably be the next time i post pics.

6 Likes

I love the name Meatwad. That’s amazing.

You really have beautiful dragons. Thery’re quite literally :fire:

2 Likes

I know we arent supposed to post feeding pics but I just couldnt help myself…

9 Likes

Gonna have to get a bigger cage!

2 Likes

This build needs a sponsor holy crap. 3 modular units to form one huge enclosure that can be split up when needed and moved when necessary. The dividers slide in and out of the top each enclosure has a removable wall on each end. So that later they be added onto if I choose. Would love to do it out of pvc but that isn’t an option so wood it shall be. Now I need to work on the design for the stands as well.

5 Likes

PVC would look so awesome for this!

1 Like

Unfortunately PVC is just too cost restrictive. I cant get it locally and shipping large sheets of it is outrageously expensive unless you get a lot of it.

2 Likes

That looks amazing! I really like the optional multi-compartment design. I’m guessing that you intend to leave those compartments open most or all of the time, but it’s super cool to have the ability to seal up those partitions and create up to three separate enclosures if you want/need to.

I agree that it would be extra awesome if you could use PVC, but since beardies like things dry, I think wood will work just fine. Only real downside is how heavy it’ll be.

I can’t wait to see it once it’s built! I’m super jealous of people with building abilities. That’s one of those useful skills I just never learned.

3 Likes

Start out building boxes. Once you can build a nice box you can build a cage. Its not as hard as it looks you just gotta commit to doing it. Helps if you have someone around to guide you a little, but if you dont theres youtube and lots of community colleges have non credit woodworking courses.

3 Likes

Trying to get funds together for this thing while hours at work are pretty tight, but in the meanwhile Duke has been doing a lot of showing off for the ladies over the past couple of weeks so i thought I’d share a little of that…

6 Likes

Updated design image with the carts for each enclosure. The dividers will likely be pvc or blacked out acrylic and the tubs on the shelves are not exactly the ones I’ll use but those bottom shelves will be used for baby enclosures and grow outs. Decided I’ll go with a dark stain and the backgrounds will be images printed on pvc sheets from Toad Ranch.

Technically i could just add sides and doors to the carts but as for rearing babies the enclosures have to be cleaned so often it makes more sense to rear them in plastic bins. But who knows what ill do when it gets to that point.

5 Likes

If anyone would like a fresh new Beardy wall paper for their device…

You have my permission to save and use this for personal use.

6 Likes