Bittersweet babies arriving: Allstar x Aria; make that "Sweet babies!"

It’s Day 60 for this clutch and they’re pipping right spang on time. It is always a joy to see those little faces appearing. I’ve got other emotions swirling with this clutch, though; their mother, my sweet Aria, didn’t survive becoming eggbound despite best efforts and veterinary care. (That thread is HERE:Not the most auspicious start: TWO problem girls .) I have never before lost an animal whose offspring arrived after the parent’s death. It feels very strange.

But enough sorrow. Aria’s life was too short, but at least her story will continue. These are the first offspring for either parent. I can’t wait to fully see these babies! Allstar is Red Factor Strawberry Granite het Amel (produced by VMS), Aria was Snow Cube Stripe ph Hypo, Caramel. These babies will either be Anery (or Coral Anery) het Amel, Diffused, Stripe OR Snow (or Coral Snow) het Diffused, Stripe. There’s no way to know about the ph Caramel from this breeding.

The first Anery pipped this morning someone between 0600 and 0800. Currently there are three Anery pippies and va Snow visible through the slit in its egg.

16 Likes

Thats a shame about the loss. It can be hard to loose animals you care for. But those are some beautiful babies!

5 Likes

I hope there are some beautiful babies in there so that you have many lovely holdbacks of Aria’s line. Her legacy will live on!

6 Likes

Thanks, on both counts. Aria was produced here, always handled regularly, and she was a sweetheart. I’m doing my best to focus on the happiness at the arrival of these babies! I’m curious about whether any will be Red Factor, and how easy that will be to identify in neonates. Of course, each one has a 50/50 chance of RF. There’s are 9 eggs. Hopefully somebody will be RF. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Thank you. It’s going to be hard to select holdbacks from this group. I’m very happy to have that decision to make, though. And you may have just named one of them: Legacy.

5 Likes

What a beautiful name for one of these beautiful babies :face_holding_back_tears:

5 Likes

Odd are a few should be RF then! At least you will have her babies to remember her by and the moments you had with her!

4 Likes

Dear Aria’s genetic line shall continue, I’m sure these babies will be as radiant as she. Her spirit will live on in those adorable little snoots.

4 Likes

Oh those little noodle boodle noses! I so feel for you in my heart because believe me I know what you are going through. But how blessed you are to see new life spring from a dear life you loved.

@noodlehaus just hopefully named another one? “Spirit”?

4 Likes

Aw, they look like perfect little pips. Can’t wait to see some of them out of the egg!

4 Likes

I am quite thankful to have these pippies!

Indeed I am!! Aria was Dazzler’s daughter. Dazzler’s parents were Boz & Tulip, two of my first corn snakes whom got from Kathy Love way back when. I’ve named past keeper daughters in Tulip’s line for tulip cultivars. Gonna make some exceptions this time around. :heartpulse:

Legacy for sure. (I do love the name Spirit. I can’t use it now, though. I had a wonderfully courageous mare named Spirit back in the 1980s, way before the “Spirit” movies.)

4 Likes

Might I then suggest, “Heart’s Delight”?

4 Likes

That’s an excellent suggestion!

3 Likes

I’ve got some errands to run, which will keep me from wanting to peek at pippies every 5 minutes for a while. Currently I see four Aneries and one Snow. I think two of the remaining four eggs are Snows based on looking through the eggshells. The other two aren’t positioned to see well enough to have made a guess on color. I’ll check on them later this evening and update.

Thanks for sharing the journey. Y’all are deeply appreciated. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Hopefully all these little babies bring lots of joy!

3 Likes

Little tip is that snows will have an overall more red appearing shell/fluid when candled and the aneries will appear more yellow.

4 Likes

Totally understand about the name thing! Names are important but it’s what we carry deep in our hearts @caryl that matters the most. At least in my mind………:pray:

4 Likes

Current count is four Anery & three Snow pippies. Nobody has emerged yet, of course. The egg sitting by itself (which I believe holds a Snow) and one on the bottom (no idea on it) are yet to pip. And on that happy note,

I bid everyone a good night!

9 Likes

Morning check still shows the same numbers. The second Anery to pip has emerged. There’s a small slit in the egg on the bottom of the pile so the only uncut egg is the solo. Which, I just realized, is a great name for a baby whose dam was named Aria: Solo.

10 Likes

The final two pips haven’t emerged yet but everyone else is out now. Final count is four Aneries, five Snows so that hit the 50/50 split as much as possible with an odd number of eggs. They’re all potentially Red Factor. One of the Snows is noticeably pinker, and I think I can see a bit of color on one Anery’s head. Could be RF, could be individual variation, could be wishful thinking. I’ll be wanting help with figuring out potential RF after they’ve shed.

Here’s some sweetness.

10 Likes