Boa Constrictors!

Ember is a fitting name, thats a beautiful boa

2 Likes

Fantastic coloration on her!!

1 Like

Post-Shed shots of Acacia, a Burke T+ Sunglow Nicaraguan. This animal is pure Nic, no outcross. She is three years old and her color is still coming in. The can especially be seen on the head.

11 Likes

Boy, that’s a pretty snake!

3 Likes

Jeff coined the term “pastel” to describe a polygenic reduction of melanin.

Bloodlines of higher amounts of pinks and reds derived from that.

The reduction of melanin was a mechanism to more effectively selectively breed for higher amounts of color but pastel was defined by the originator as solely a reduction in melanin.

2 Likes

A fun :camera_flash: from earlier this morning :sun_behind_small_cloud: of some early courtship :two_hearts: of two of our :star_struck: stunners:

Sherbet (Kahl Albino Aztec Hypo Jungle) x Dolly (Kahl Albino Motley Roswell Ladder Tail)

Hoping :crossed_fingers: for a successful :snake::snake::snake: Fall!

8 Likes

Whats that substrate? Never seen it before. What year are the two boas?

2 Likes

Looks like what I see in garages. Lol

1 Like

@mattcookreptiles this is a product called Dri-Dek. It is made South of us in Naples, Fla by Kendall Products.

[https://www.dri-dek.com]

As @dsed noticed :sunglasses:, it is used is garages, bars, on decks, etc., to allow liquids to drip through leaving a grippy no-slip surface.

For humans, this is great on concrete floors for safety and comfort and for bars for allowing glasses to dry, etc.

For our :snake: buddies, it allows their liquids to drip through (onto newspaper when we can source enough from our local library!) so they aren’t sitting in it while also giving them something to grip with their belly scales: those bumps are made from soft plastic and the entire thing is completely disinfect-able.

We’ve been using it for years with great success! For example, both of us have seen more than one of our boas use the Dri-Dek during a shed for that very difficult nose spot. And they really move well on it!

The only caveats to use are:

1. There is a production odor that is a result of an outgassing process. We used to soak the squares in water, changing the water daily for 2 weeks to help reduce the smell, but we are finding that if we order enough ahead of time and take the squares out of the boxes the odor dissipates on its own. If the Dri-Dek is put in the cages too soon before the smell has time to reduce, it can really be noticeable for us and the boas.

2. We don’t use it with tiny :snake: buddies. There is a possibility of heads getting stuck, etc. Also bigger and thinner/sneakier snakes can find their way behind or underneath, as they would with any substrate. But we find, with consistent training, then soon “get” that they are meant to hang on top. :nerd_face:

3. There is size modification required per enclosure usage; Aaron cuts ours to fit the cages/tubs, and if the cage isn’t square, the process gets a bit wonky. The cool thing is, though, he cuts a hole to fit a PVC 4 inch coupling that in turn holds a water bowl, which keeps the water locked in pretty well. Unless we have a snake that is trying to tell us something. :laughing:

Hope this helps!

Using the Dri-Dek is a bit of an up-front investment, but we have found it to be worth it in the long run. I don’t remember us having to replace any pieces, and we have had excellent luck with their customer service! If you do order, tell 'em Voodoo Magic Boas sent ya. We are big fans of theirs. :+1:

And as for our lovebirds, our .1 Dolly is a 2018 and 1. Shep is a 2019.

5 Likes

Emmit is almost ready to come home. Excited to watch this guy grow and pair him with Rosalie. Plus, its always a pleasure to visit and see all the boas my good friend Brian Abrahamson has and get to see new projects going.

14 Likes

Headshot of “Hesperis” the Argentine.

13 Likes

Nothing like an Argentine head.

2 Likes

I love those big blocky heads.

3 Likes

Beautiful boa there! Deep colors, fantastic contrast and super clean pattern :star_struck:! Excellent pick!

3 Likes

Thank you very much!

2 Likes

My God, he is beautiful! Very good choice!

1 Like

Thanks Riley, he’s a very active and curious little guy. Got a few new PVC cages and I think I’m either gonna try a freedom breeder or a herpstat 2, not sure yet.

1 Like

Some pics of my beautiful Suri girl (on the hunt) :heart:

10 Likes

Took a few babies out today.

Male BCA X BCI he is het albino to so he should make some killer looking babies.

Male BCC X BCI hypo jungle het albino. He is starting to be one of my favorite one’s now. I almost sold him to.

Female BCC X BCI motley het albino. She has finally accepted me now. She no long wants to kill me. :rofl:

2022 Female sunglow motley jungle. I plan on giving her away to a friend as a surprise.

2019 Female sunglow motley jungle. She has keeped her colors well for me.

8 Likes

Beautiful Tom, I get excited when you post pictures my friend. I love the tails on motley boas.