Boas of Madagascar

This topic is dedicated to the 4 Boas of Madagascar!
Dumeril’s Boa (Acrantophis dumerili), Madagascar Ground Boa (Acrantophis madagascariensis), and Madagascar Tree Boas (Sanzinia madagascariensis madagascariensis and Sanzinia madagascariensis volontany).

4 Likes

Madagascar ground boa

Dumeril’s Boa

Sanzinia madagascariensis volontany- “Mandarin” or “Brown” or “Western”
Photo credit to Paul Mitzelfelt

Sanzinia madagascariensis madagascariensis- “Green” or “Eastern”

10 Likes

Helpful tips, tricks, scientific literature mentioning these 4 Boas, possibly a list of known breeders and helpful Facebook groups (only posted with their permission).

Basic Care Guide

Tips for Troublesome Eaters

Published Literature
Pylogenetics and Phylogeography

• 1979 - Chromosome morphology of the Madagascar tree boa Sanzinia madagascariensis. Branch.
  • 1980 - Chromosomal evolution in Serpentes; A comparison of G and C chromosome banding patterns of some colubrid and boid genera. Mengden and Stock.
  • 2000 - Molecular phylogeny and historical biogeography of Pacific Island boas (Candoia). Austin.
  • 2001 - Characterization of polymorphic microsatellite loci from the two endemic genera of Madagascan Boids, Acrantophis and Sanzinia. Watson, Williamson, Huebinger, and Louis.
  • 2001 Phylogeny of South American and Malagasy boine snakes: Molecular evidence for the validity of Sanzinia and Acrantophis and biogeographic implications. Vences, Glaw, Kosuch, Bohme, and Veith.
  • 2003 - Phylogeography, systematics and conservation status of boid snakes from Madagascar (Sanzinia and Acrantophis). Vences and Glaw.
  • 2004 - Inferring the phylogenetic position of Boa constrictor among the Boinae. Burbrink.
  • 2008 - Phylogeography and phylogenetic relationships of Malagasy tree and ground boas. Orozco-Terwengel, Nagy, Vieites, Vences, and Louis Jr.
  • 2007 Geographical patterns of deep mitochondrial differentiation in widespread Malagasy reptiles. Boumans, Vieites, Glaw, and Vences.
  • 2009 - Characterization of 20 microsatellite marker loci in the Malagasy tree boa (Sanzinia madagascariensis madagasariensis). Ramanana, Bailey, Shore, Ramilijaona, and Brenneman.
  • 2014 - A taxonomic revision of Boas (Serpentes: Boidae). Pyron, Reynolds, and Burbrink.

Biodiversity and Vulnerability

Predation

Reproduction

Pathology and Anatomy

Color Changes: Birth to Adult

List of Breeders

Facebook Groups

Will edit as I have time.

5 Likes

We decided that she wasn’t right for us but she is a beautiful animal. She came from Paul Mitzelfelt.

4 Likes

One of my gravid girls :slight_smile:

4 Likes

These are beautiful animals. I am looking forward for people to add some content here ! :+1:t2:

1 Like

One of my female MGB

6 Likes

This is Illidan, my Madagascar Ground Boa. He was surrendered to me a little more than a year ago. He’s a pretty cool guy most of the time but has been known to have mood swings. I consider him my most beautiful snake. I’ve been hoping to find him a girlfriend one day! To share and spread this gorgeous species would be awesome. I have noticed when I mention his species, most people think they are Dumeril’s. They didn’t know there was a difference between the two species! I suppose I wouldn’t have before research, either.

8 Likes

Very beautiful! They tend to be more flighty than Dumeril’s. And yes I do agree people confuse them too often. I hope we can change that with this thread.
Also, I wish you well in finding a lady for him. We need more around.

Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Flighty is a good word for it. Sometimes he’s chill and sometimes he’s like RUN AWAY. I think it depends if I wake him up or not.
I haven’t put as much effort into finding him a lady as I should. When I get a little bit of money I am going to though. They’re such beautiful animals!

2 Likes

Wow these are awesome!!

1 Like

Babies were born July 28!

8 Likes

The Madagascar Ground Boa has been at the top of my list for a while. Unfortunately, the only individuals I’ve seen for sale recently were $8000 a pair, a bit out of my price range. They were adults though, so I’m hoping that some day someone will have some babies that I can afford.

2 Likes

Dumerilli 1,1

5 Likes

Oh my goodness they are beautiful. You guys and gals make me want a boa more and more lol.

1 Like

Possibly gravid mgb.

4 Likes

This snake never sits still for photos, so I was thrilled to grab a shot of him today.

“Pan” the 2019 male Madagascar Ground Boa. He is very dark.

Pan23

6 Likes

He has a BEAUTIFUL pattern! Wow!

1 Like

Despite being a squirmy boy, Pan also has a very sweet temperament and is very trustworthy. He is a total diva when it comes to eating, however.

1 Like

I’ll have to get some more photos. But this little guy is the latest addition to my serpent collection. He has had three meals with me and a shed. Just got in his 4x2x1 enclosure from AP. Will be getting that set up in the following weeks and possibly go bioactive with it. Any recommendations for plants?

5 Likes