Breeding plans or dream snakes

do you think a super lesser to a super mojave spider would be safe?

All you will get out of that cross will be more BELs, some of which will have spider (although you won’t be able to see it).

1 Like

Yeah a clutch of BEL is my goal. I was just wondering because there was a super mojave that has spider and is like $100 cheaper than a super mojave wothout spider.

I don’t see why it would sell for less just because it had spider in it. It could be just that individual seller priced it lower or maybe a bad wobble vs other spiders.

It also depends what kind of BEL you want. Super mojave will often have a grayish head vs other BEL combos. Maybe the spider helps whiten it, I’ve never done that pairing.

I think it’s a supply and demand issue. Overall there are less people who want spider ball pythons, both to breed or as pets because of the wobble, so they are usually priced lower. I know when I was looking for a female clown last year I couldn’t find one below $400, but yet there were female spider clowns for $300. I’ve seen across the board in many morphs that adding spider usually deceases the price by $50-100

5 Likes

Yeah, I haven’t been able to sell the last 3 snakes I have available. All of them happen to have spider in them.

It’s a shame so much misinformation has been spread about them, a few of my potential customers explicitly mentioned not wanting the ones with spider morph which really sucked

On the other hand, you might be able to tell if a BEL has spider if it shows any wobble symptoms :rofl::sweat_smile:

This is true. The spider I bought was a good price, but she has wobble. I learned my lesson, always ask if it has wobble or not when you are inquiring about it. Have them send you a video of them holding the snake before you buy it. You should be able to tell from the video if it has bad wobble. I should have thought about that when I was looking. Live and Learn. But my Girl is very pretty.

1 Like

thankfully people like you and the seller I was looking at are honest because I couldent tell that she carries the spider gene.

@snaxxs you mentioned the different BEL having a different appearance. I was not aware of the slight variation depending on the genes that made it. I am kinda new to the thought of ball python breeding. From pics it can be difficult to see the subtle differences. Are Mojave butter more white vs butter lesser?

Look at mystic potions, crystals, super mystics, super specials! They are all bels and they are wildly different!

2 Likes

Not especially, no.

2 Likes

Being new I always forget about all the genes that can make BEL. I know you guys made a list. I need to reference that

1 Like

Here you go:

2 Likes

Personally I find mojave lesser/butter or super lesser/butter to be the most white. Super mojaves almost always have a gray/purple head but like any morph there will be individual variations.

1 Like

Cool snakes that for sure.

2 Likes

I just purchased a BEL and he is a super lesser which was the most white I could find

4 Likes

I have a pair that I can’t wait till they are ready.

7 Likes

My next purchase will be a female banana leopard to go with my banana lesser fire pinstripe. I also plan on getting a couple other single dark gene females for my boy.

I have my super lesser male that only has a single mate so I plan on finding him another lady or two. Might just get a couple normals and produce a bunch of lesser.

6 Likes

I can’t wait for them to be ready, either, Jesse! Awesome critters!

We won’t be producing any ball pythons this year, but we have a 1.1 yearling double het pied/clown that I’m very excited to breed someday. I need about six more het clown females, for our clown projects.

Amazing stuff, everyone, the combos never cease to amaze.