Breeding season's just getting started!

We just started pairing our first group this week! I sure hope this isn’t a repeat of last season :expressionless: One clutch between 5 females was :-1: I’ve been waiting for this girl to get up to a decent weight for the last 2 years, especially since her clutchmate gave us her first clutch in 2019

11 Likes

Best of luck this season…Hope those beautys get you some gorgeous babies.

3 Likes

thanks @ag2357! He seems to be one of the few boys who’s actually figured out what to do. I hope this doesn’t set a precedent for the rest of our pairings

4 Likes

Wishing luck! Make sure to update us if she lays!

3 Likes

I’ll definitely update if/when she lays :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Man you guys are killing me with these hoggies pairings!!! Next year Shaun next year lol. Best of luck hoping to see a lot pictures of hognose clutches posted!!!

2 Likes

Thanks Shaun! You’re breeding for the 2022 season?

2 Likes

I’m breeding every season lol. But yes next year will be doing western hognose. I got a group 2.2 that are literally possible het for about everything. And one of my males is a German import pastel. This year I’m breeding balls,children’s, and super dwarf retics.

3 Likes

I look forward to seeing what you produce in 2022 :slight_smile: Pastel is a highly underrated gene, I’ve got one pastel boy I need to get in some lines here.

I really wish the bigger snakes weren’t illegal here, I’d probably have a super dwarf in a heartbeat

2 Likes

Thank you! Male 1 is anaconda pos het axanthic albino toffee male 2 is German pastel Female 1 is anaconda pos het albino axanthic and toffee female 2 is normal pos het albino axanthic and toffee. So hoping I can prove something out!!!

What’s the definition of bigger snakes? Does it just restrict all large species (burms, retics, anacondas, etc.) or like Ohio just restrict certain snakes until they get 12 ft and then they’re illegal (in my state I think there might be permits to get large snakes but it’s expensive and I’m not sure it’s possible anymore). I just found out about my state allowing the snakes until they get to 12 ft (I still don’t know how they check it, do they somehow find out you have a snake and come to your house and measure your snake?) and I’m already planning to get some super dwarfs.

1 Like

In my state I can have a king cobra but no eastern garter snakes lol.

2 Likes

Wow, that is going to be a mixed clutch if any combination of those possible hets prove out! I’m also a BIG believer in those odds games.

Our provincial laws actually sound similar to Ohio. Burms, rocks, retics, anaconda’s are illegal (unless you applied for a permit in 2009 I believe) to own. Boa’s need to be registered once they hit 3’, same with some of the other larger species. It’s pretty much based on the honour system, but the Ministry of Environment will pay you a visit if someone reported you.

You should read the laws for Saskatchewan. Sand boa’s are illegal, but go nuts owning a gator :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to see hoggie babies.

Good luck with the beautiful snakes you have there. @elementalherps

2 Likes

We finally got eggs from her this morning :slight_smile: 10 good and 3 slugs, not bad for a first time breeder. Now the wait to see what we hatch!

7 Likes

So cool! Congrats!

1 Like

Thanks @solarserpents :slight_smile: We’ve been so excited about this pairing. She’s from our first clutch and was a painfully slow grower. Definitely worth the wait though

Wooow! Congrats. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes