Breeding Thread- Flare's Exotics

I thought I’d start a thread I can update over the year as things happen, and geckos hatch, and I have cute pictures of my babies:)
But, some information:
I paired my geckos early January (Don’t remember the exact date, but I’m pretty sure it was the 5th or 6th.) I saw a lock, and know that they were locked for a good 15 minutes at the very least, so I removed Velvet the next morning. Now, yesterday I noticed that she was a bit more chunky than she usually was, and today I found a single egg in her tank. I looked around a lot, and didn’t find another one, but the last time she laid, she only laid one as well (And it was a dud, as I had just bought her, and she had never been bred before then) I didn’t notice any veins, but I’m thinking that’s because she probably just laid it, so it hasn’t had time to develop. I’ll be checking it again in a week, just to make sure, and I’ll go from there. But, as always, incubate until there’s no debate:)
And now, some pictures:

3 Likes

Excited to follow along! It is quite early for her to be laying though, typically they go 4-6 weeks after they were paired, sometimes even longer if they’re first time breeders/you pair early in the year, so it is likely just a dud - but definitely keep looking, and keep us updated, and like you said it’s better to incubate just to be sure :crossed_fingers: :blush:

2 Likes

Okay! Yeah, both are first timers, so I’ll keep looking out for eggs, and seeing if this little guy is fertile. Hopefully it is, but if not, that’s okay too.

3 Likes

Is there a red cheerio? X

2 Likes

Not that I saw. I read somewhere that it might still develop, but idk.

Such a cute little egglet! :heart:

How longs it been?

I’ve witnessed females laying, took eggs right away and always been a cheerio or not.
Not developed later on.

I’d even a slight red or faint one then you’re ok and should be fertile. If completely clear egg I’d be saying infertile.
Also 19 days after pairing, I’d assume not fertile as she already had those eggs cooking.
I’d defo repair her now x

1 Like

Okay, I’ll put her in tonight when I go to bed. I will probably candle again just to check, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t see anything.

2 Likes

I repaired them last night, saw at least two locks (and they were running around all night) so now I’m back to waiting again :joy: Lot of waiting in this breeding game.

2 Likes

I feel that! Have a pairing from 10 December that still hasn’t produced, can’t repair though since the male had to have his pene amputated afterwards so i decided to retire him :sob: Trying to give her as much time as possible before i decide to repair to a different male :confused:

1 Like

Around 2 months for eggs to hatch… you get used to it :joy:

1 Like

Just the 1 peen?
They can still mate with only 1!

I know of someone who’s male had to have one removed too as prolapsed anfter mating. They actually paired him again when all healed etc and was all fine.

I’d probably worry though incase he lost the other also!

2 Likes

I decided it wasn’t worth it since i don’t want to risk him having to go into surgery again - It was his very first time mating, he did a very good job as far as i could tell but it was almost like he forgot about it being out afterwards, didn’t see him even try to get it in :sweat_smile: The vet did say he’d be good after 2-3 months though if i wanted to

1 Like

Loving this thread idea.

I’m hoping it’s fertile for you, but didn’t seem likely.

Yes the wait is a killer! I’ve decided to take a year off of breeding this year as just isn’t good time for me, but I’m hoping I’ll still get some eggs from last year :crossed_fingers:

Also sorry to hear about autumn Geckos issue with the male, it’s quite worrying. I agree it’s risky breeding him again, but not impossible. I would also retire him and hope for the best that the female will lay, it’s still early days so hopefully :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Yeah was their first time mating their boy also!
Maybe they got too happy… :joy:

1 Like

Well, I’m still waiting for more eggs, But I think the fact that she hasn’t laid yet is a good sign that this batch will be fertile. I’m not very patient lol, but I think once I get my first set of eggs I’ll be a lot more patient.

2 Likes

After three months of (im)patient waiting, we finally have two lovely, fertile eggs! Lol, now I can sit back and wait until the little things hatch.

6 Likes

Yesterday was three weeks of waiting for these eggs to hatch! I plan on candling the eggs again at one month, just to make sure they’re progressing, and seeing how much they’ve developed. I have heard that you need to be careful with how you put the eggs back, because if they’re not in the same position they could drown or something? Is that a concern?

3 Likes

I believe the idea is that if you rotate them or position them back in a way they weren’t laid, it can kill them. Easiest thing to do? Take a marker and put a little line on top, then just keep it positioned so that line is up the whole time you’re looking at it. Then you know how to place it back as well.

1 Like

Your eggs were laid the same day my chickens were born :laughing:.

As for making sure they don’t rotate, just put a small ‘X’ on the top of the egg

1 Like