Bull nose rubbing

Hello have a female bull I adopted about 6 feet she had irritated nose when I got her she still rubs her nose its worn down not bleeding or anything . Question can these heal up completely if I can figure why she’s doing it to begin with? Or is it gone forever?

Basically her front scale / plate is flat some say after few sheds should heal up looks liek scale is completely worn down whats your guy’s opinions on it?

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @roy200079! Sorry to hear about your bull snake having this problem! I have no experience with bull snakes myself but you should probably supply more information before someone who is familiar with the breed can help you.

What type of enclosure is she in
Size of enclosure
Substrate type
Temps
Humidity
Type of rodent
Do you feed live or FT
How long have you had her
Do you know how she was kept before
What type of heat
Lighting

This may seem like a lot of information to supply but the more information presented the better to diagnose the issue.

Again, welcome to this family! I am sure someone here can help you! :+1::blush:

6 Likes

Welcome to the community! I have had bulls and northern pine, and while not technically a burrowing species they did nose everywhere in the substrate, even my hands while holding them occasionally! They never rubbed hard enough to hurt themselves, although this is a common problem in a lot of different species. The reason we need to know all @caron suggested, we could see if it’s trying to escape too much heat, feels insecure and threatened, medical issues, ect. So please give as much info as possible, preferably everything @caron suggested if you are able. Also some pics of the entire snake and some of the nose may help as well. Everyone is really helpful here and I am sure you will receive some great advice, just need to know some more first!

3 Likes

Hello she was an embassador animal so been around lots of people shes very large for local state bull 5+ feet myabe closer to 6 feet.

Im keeping her in a 4x2 enclosure temps about 82 degrees warm side. Ive mever had other bulls with this issue.

What usually settles her down is a larger meal. She’s extremely friendly puppy dog tame and I just want the best for her and want her nose to heal up:)

4 Likes

Welcome! I’m a huge Pituophis fan as well. I have found that these snakes do well when you give them lots of substrate to burrow in. They don’t create their own burrows in the wild, but they are a semi-fossorial species. Try to use about 3-5 inches of aspen shavings. I used to keep mine on an attempt at a “bioactive” substrate. Due to all the burrowing, it failed to mat up and function as an actual substrate, and turned into regular dirt. It didn’t hold burrows at all, and he started nose-rubbing. I switched to aspen, and the issue mostly went away. I also increased the amount of foliage and wood in the enclosure, and he stopped pacing. These are an active species, and they will try to get away from conditions which they don’t like.

Try to incorporate multiple hides and lots of fake plants, and keeping it at a somewhat higher humidity than you might think. I maintain mine at about 50% humidity. This replicates the moist rabbit/prairie dog burrows which they spend 80% of their time around in the wild.

Mine’s nose rubbing healed over time after I made the changes described above. He does have a “crinkly” rostral scale, but he’s healed up otherwise with no intervention except for the changes in habitat design. Good luck with your new snake!

3 Likes

@roy200079 If she will let you, you can rub some vitamin E oil on her nose area. Vitamin E oil was recommended to me by my reptile vet.

If she is provided burrowing substrate as @monty_pituophis suggested, you may have to apply it every other day or so. And btw, what’s this lady ambassador’s name?

Hope you can get her fixed up! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Hello thanks for the input! I do use shredded aspen for substrate I wiil ard some wood / logs to enclosure of course heat treating them first.

I do think I need to remove the mesh screen vent on top and switch to something else im in the process of building her a 6×2 enclosure that will accommodate her the rest of her life. I’m hoping to find a male for her in the near future but want to just get her settled in first and have her nose heal up:)

3 Likes

Hello thanks for the recommendation I was thinking about the vita

2 Likes

@roy200079 Again, all the very best to you for caring for your girl and doing what is best for her! I am sure once you get over these humps, she will be just fine! :blush:

1 Like

Hello I haven’t given her a name yet working on it:) I will try some vitamin E oil I’ll try anything to help her heal up.

These are by far my favorite snake to own get large but not dangerous large ! Her personality is amazing she comes right out of enclosure when opened to he handled.

2 Likes

Oh @roy200079 ! She is very nice! And it does help that she is so very friendly! She definitely deserves a special well thought out name!

You mentioned getting a male for her. Do you intend on breeding?

1 Like

Yes I would like to eventually I wouldn’t house them together until that time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good idea! Lol! Keep us updated on the nose situation……. I’m being “nosy”! :joy::rofl::sunglasses::grinning::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Her nose is little better still has healingnto to do she just shed few days ago shes much larger than I thought her skin measured about 6’8" so shes probably actually around 6’4".

3 Likes

Awwwww She looks like she is trying to pose! So how is her nose rubbing? Is she enjoying her aspen? And what about a name?

1 Like

@roy200079 The healing may take a little while longer but the vitamin E is a good skin oil to keep the skin supple. She looks like she is very contented! I’m so glad you have her now! :blush:

1 Like

Hello yeah my goodness still working on name by end of week I will choose one.

Is there a certain type of vitamin E oil I should use is it something I can get at a walmart?

2 Likes

You can buy the vitamin E capsules and just pin prick one of the ends of the capsule and squeeze out the oil or you could buy the oil itself in the vitamin aisle.

Any drug store, or Wal Mart etc should carry both…….

1 Like

Any type will do

2 Likes

If she has quit rubbing her nose then it will probably heal on its own, just more slowly.

2 Likes