Caging/rack for carpet pythons

Question, im looking at what would be the best option moving forward once i have more than 2 snakes. I have good enclosures for the 2 i have, but having that size enclosure for each snake would be a logistical nightmare. Does anyone know if this rack system would be good enough for a carpet python? It has the space, my only question is mainly because they are semi arboreal, will the lack of height be detrimental for them, or does it not really matter to them. Link is to cage in question, pic attached for those who dont want to follow random links

https://www.arscaging.com/ars_caging.php?model=9706-Original

I have a 210 aquarium tank to house 1, and this is my future setup for the other. Mind you neither of those are actually set up yet considering the snakes in question are only yearlings, 1 has a 30 gallon currently, the other a 55 gallon. Once they reach adult size or close to it, i will finish setting up the display enclosures and move them over.

I can’t answer as to whether or not that rack is appropriate for carpets, but I will say that I own that model (I use it for boa constrictors and womas) and I am super happy with it. It’s a really well made and practical product. I especially like how easy it is to set the different levels to different temperatures. I’ve had it for a couple of years and it’s still in great shape.

2 Likes

There are well known carpet breeders that have house their carpets in racks for decades.

My carpet python loves to climb, she uses all of her branches and shelf in her inclosure. Even if a carpet can live in racks,…just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

1 Like

There lies the issue, when breeding, what is the middle ground? I obviously cant fit 20 210 gallon tanks in my house, i am sure that the snake would prefer climbing, the question is more towards has this worked for others and were there any ill effects. There are some that are less wide but taller, which may give more 360 degree area which may be better for carpets. I know i cant give them all mansions, but i also dont want to put them in a shoebox and call it a day haha

Edit: double checked, 9" is tallest system

Here is a size comparison for easy visualizationdownload (4)

Source: snake discovery

Animal Plastic makes a cage designed by Anthony Capponetto specifically for carpet pythons. It has a 4’ x 2’ footprint and has a climbing shelf.

I know of lots of carpet breeders that keep them in racks with no issues. I also know breeders that keep them in cages with no issues too. When I bred them I kept them in racks for the first 6-9 months then moved them to cages.

https://apcages.com/collections/arboreal-cages these? They are definitely more compact than what i have and would be easier to fit, also not terribly expensive comparatively. Looks like a good middle ground

This is the one I was thinking of.

I feel with an 8 to 9 foot CP that 3 feet of shelf wouldnt be very useable :confused: the height difference is only 6 inches between the 2 but the space difference is huge. More affordable though

If you want a coastal you definitely will be looking at a bigger foot print, this however would be suitable for smaller carpets, Darwins, Irian Jaya.

I am unsure what mine are besides their morph, but considering ive only heard of coastal until recently, i think it safe to assume its that for now and plan for a larger snake, better that than to harm it by housing it in unsuitable housing.

Just checked, the sunglow i have is a darwin, the Xanthic is a papuan. This brings up another question of if different subspeciea can breed and is it frowned upon

First order of business for you should be to find the Morelia Python Radio podcast and subscribe to it and then go through their back-catalog of episodes. They cover, literally, every single aspect of the hobby that you could want answers to :+1:t4:

Second, if you have an animal labeled as a “Sunglow” then it is a intergrade and not a pure Darwin because there is no Hypo morph in Darwin carpets

Third, Axanthic not Xanthic :grin:

Not necessarily accurate. I know plenty of coastal keepers that have animals in the 4-6’ range. The belief that all coastals are monsters is one of those bad hobby myths that got entrenched early on and just will not die. Likewise, bredli are also “supposed” to get huge but my five-year-old is only about 5’

Bottom line is that carpets are fine in a larger (41q or 70q) rack system but they will happily use all the space you can give them if you choose to go larger. My bredli I mentioned above is in an 96" x 30" x 18" cage (and I am kind of regretting that I did not go taller instead of wider)

2 Likes

Not necessarily accurate. I know plenty of coastal keepers that have animals in the 4-6’ range. The belief that all coastals are monsters is one of those bad hobby myths that got entrenched early on and just will not die. Likewise, bredli are also “supposed” to get huge but my five-year-old is only about 5’

I don’t disagree just think being prepared to have a 4x2 foot print (only going an extra foot is better suited for coastals) I agree that while they can reach 8 to 9 feet they are rarely seen at that size in captivity.

Just checked, the sunglow i have is a darwin, the Xanthic is a papuan. This brings up another question of if different subspeciea can breed and is it frowned upon

As mentioned if it is Sunglow it is not pure.

Serious Carpet Pythons enthusiasts tend to be more of the purist type you also have those that don’t mind intergrade but for whom lineages and percentages will matter. (I am one of those)

Over time because many people got into carpet and did not care or knew what they were breeding we ended up with a lot of mutts.

Now your average pet owner does not care he will only want a good looking animal whether it is a trophy animal with great lineage or a mutt with unknown origin.

I used to breed IJ Jag so but I knew what I was breeding and the percentages, it did not matter to pet owners but generated little interest from serious carpet owners so I stopped and got back in again 3 years ago with some pure Darwins.

Finally here is something you might want to look at
http://www.moreliapythonradio.com/Morphs-of-the-Morelia-complex.html

1 Like

Fully concur :+1:t4:

Another great resource (I forgot Eric had that page)

1 Like

Appreciate it, ill give it a look! I assume when you say “if its a sunglow then it is not pure” to mean that sunglows dont exist for pure darwin subspecies?

Ill give the podcast a listen! As for sunglow, it is my understanding that sunglow for carpet pythons does not include hypo as it would for other snakes, it is carmel+albino (morph market identifies it this way as well) so not having hypo would not rule out sunglow. As for the xanthic thing, i generally use my phone to type, so typos were all over that post haha, my bad! Im thinking of also doing scaleless corns at some point, so for the rack system i can always try it out with the carpets, if it seems to be causing issues i can move them to better housing and use the racks for the corns (after proper cleaning and disinfecting). Alot of good resources in your post, i appreciate it!