Calico - Review - Rat Snakes [DONE]

This template contains both “gene addition” and “gene review” forms, please delete the one which is not applicable to your request

Gene Request Form

Please fill the below form out to the best of your ability. Answers do not need to be lengthy. If appropriate you may forward this request to someone who is more able to supply the answers.

Facts

Species: Pantherophis Grey and Black rat snakes
Name of Gene: Calico, or Calico Cow Sucker
First produced by whom: Will Bird from wild caught snake
Year First Produced: 2008-07-01 earliest record I could find
**Genetics Type Recessive
In complex with other genes?: no
Other names/aliases for it?: Calico, Or Calico Cow Sucker
Description: Hatches out yellow like an albino, but starts to get black specks around 6 months old. the specks red and orange also starts to appear slowly. As adults they have many speckles with high concentrations on the head

Appearance; What it does/looks like?

• Head: A thick patch of dark speckls as adults
  • Body: Saddles are yellow, but the speckles are throughout the body
  • Belly: Off white without pattern
  • Tail: The tail seems to get more reds and oranges, but still has the black speckles also

Proven Lines: These gene has been in captivity since at least 2008, and many breeders are working with it
Related Genes: no related genes so far

Proven: To what degree it is proven out to not just be polygenic? The breed lines have been outcrossed and reproduced, and white sided gene combos have been talked about
Unique: Why do you believe this is a new morph and not an existing one? This is a well established morph, but it needs to be updated to be listed as a recessive gene.

Problems: Any problems? The Chinese Beauty Rat Snake Also has a gene called Calico. This has let MorphMarket users list Calico Black and Grey Snakes so far, but it does not sully support the sell of Het Calicos
History: The history behind its discovery? SerpenTrack Specimen Details Not too much documentation has been found, but this is the oldest record I could fine
Disagreement or Controversy: whether the first wild calico was a grey rat snake or a black rat snake. Basted on location it was likely a grey rat snake, and most outcrossings have produced offspring that look more like grey rat snakes.
References here on the community: has been sold on MorphMarket since the start of MorphMarket

2 Likes

I did hear that lemon is getting test bred to see if it is alilic with calico. that test breeding is more than a year away, but I am eager to hear how it goes.

1 Like