Can anyone help identify my boa

I just purchased a snake and they Said it was a hypo keltic orange slice boa… I can’t seem to find orange slice boa… Is that a thing?

I have never heard of orange slice. But that animal does not look like a Keltic to me. It looks like a single gene hypo.

2 Likes

I absolutely agree with @westridge, it looks like a hypo. And usually Keltic is going to be produced by reputable breeders

1 Like

2 Likes

3 Likes

I have a hypo BI too… Here’s a picture I find they look very similar

PS he’s going into shed here

2 Likes

I bought it off someone on Craigslist… Came with snake and cage for only 200$ so I’m not worried of being ripped off lol but I’m curious on what it actually is… I texted her and she said she bought it off a couple that was breeding and it’s been two years but she said she thinks the parents were orange tail x super salmon hypo… She said she’s sure it’s a hypo keltic orange slice… Which I can’t find orange slice or orange tail… I’m trying to use genetic calculator but orange tail doesn’t show up… I did however find other sites selling" orange tail"… I just don’t know if there’s another name for it or it’s made up

Orange tail was a line of hypo back in the day it kind of like salmon. If there was no Keltic in the pairing and there is no way the Keltic made it into the offspring. Keltic is an actual gene not a line bred trait.

1 Like

I asked her that as well if there was no keltic from what she told me and She said she’s sure one of the parents had keltic but couldn’t remember but she’s “sure” that it’s keltic … The snake does look similar to salmon when I was looking at some on here…

So what is orangetail classified as now since they don’t call it that anymore? Just hypo?

Know that is a question for @tnstorybook and @eaglereptiles

1 Like

I’ll be honest, whenever I get stumped with boa IDs I ask @westridge or @thebeardedherper
With that said, I dont see Keltic in here either, just a beautiful hypo.

From the Keltics I have seen, and I may be mistaken, they tend to have very circular tail patterns with a lot of white thrown in.

The best way to learn your way around boa morphs would be to find Warren Booth on social media and take some time looking through his pictures and posts. Also googling his name will bring you to some amazing scientific research around boas.

1 Like

I got tagged but I don’t think it was on purpose lol. Very new to boas. We do have some boa projects but I’m not good enough to help identify! That being said from what I have seen, I don’t think Keltic either. Again don’t take my word for gospel though.

2 Likes

A few words about hypo lineages. The salmon boa is a line of hypo developed by Riche Isle in the early 2000s. The Orange-Tail was developed by Jeff Gee around the same time. Nowadays, animals are often labeled as a Salmon or an Orange-Tail with no regard to their actual lineage, so the terms really don’t mean much. Side note: Both lineages are originally of Panamanian descent, so animals descended from either line can’t really be said to be “Colombian.” But that doesn’t stop most people. There was such a thing as a pure Colombian Hypo, but I’m not sure if this line still exists. I recall that Jeff Ronne worked with it, not sure if he still does or if it’s still pure.

4 Likes

Looks like a standard hypo to me

3 Likes

Safe to say it’s probably a hypo salmon? :thinking:Is there a way to identify them through test or anything lol like swab test and such?

There’s nothing to compare it to yet. They’d need a library of DNA. The only way to verify it is through breeding it and seeing what the offspring looks like.

1 Like

I could be wrong but I believe Jeff has a bloodline of “pure Colombian” normals that he worked into existing hypo bloodlines. I picked one up when I visited him in 2008 (photo below), wish I still had my boas!

6 Likes

Outstanding animal!

2 Likes

Maybe someone knows what this guy is. We found him in a motel 6. He was very small so we thought he was only a couple months, but im thinking his growth may have been set back a bit because he was starving to death. He was almost gone. I am just wondering exactly what type he is. Hes not a true bcc, his color is pretty dull. I would live to know exactly what he is though. Thanks!

4 Likes