Clown + ? Genes

Picked this girl up. Been trying to figure out what she has in her. Clown is a for sure thing. Heres what i know about her.

Pairing was
Dam: Pastel Enchi Spotnose TH Hypo DG clown
Sire(s) 1: black pastel leo YB dh DG and clown
2: OD spotnose enchi 100% het clown

Now based on the darkness the breeder and myself think the black pastel sire is the dad.

Would appreciate any input. Ill be looking into a shed test as well

7 Likes

The only thing I think that’s pulling me away from agreeing with you on black pastel being present, is the washed out head, which would indicate it got pastel from the mom I’d imagine. If that was the case you’d have a black pewter and this isn’t black pewter.

Otherwise, pretty snake and I’m not much help!

4 Likes

i was thinking pastel as well based on the washed out head as well. pastel and black pastel are both incomplete dominates so always a chance that the snake hit both and maybe the hypo is causing the washout in the head to be more dramatic? I still have much to learn on gene identification myself so I’m just guessing.

4 Likes

I could also be very wrong, as I don’t work with clown. But black pastel + pastel usually makes a more gray colored animal. See below.

Definitely let others chime in as clown isn’t something I work with, so I’m only giving input solely on what I see color wise really.

4 Likes

agreed, i was looking at different combos on there as well to see if anything seemed similar. I was kind wondering if the spotnose or OD was influencing it but in order for OD to being in the works either A: the 2nd sire won the race, or B: this is one of the rare cases that both sires tied the race. I will see what others have to say and def send in a shed sampe

4 Likes

Definitely not Spotnose and definitely Black Pastel so that identifies the Sire. I believe it is Black Pastel Pastel YB Clown. There have been several examples sold here on MM that look very similar. Pretty animal.

4 Likes

I don’t know anything but I’m trying to learn more. But I can say she is gorgeous I definitely love the color and pattern . :fire::fire::fire::fire:

3 Likes

I can see this being on the dorsal.
Has this snake shed as of yet, or is it just my computer/the photos of it looking dull?

3 Likes

I disagree. Color is significantly different than black pewter yb clowns on morphmarket. The original pair snake has much more red/brown to it than you would see in a black pewter combo. Even looking at the ones posted on morphmarket.

4 Likes

Not to argue the point, but just to share my thought process, which is largely process of elimination. I think we can all agree there is no Enchi present, because there is too much pattern. When I see OD and Spotnose, Pastel and Spotnose, or all three, I see bright snakes. So I am comfortable eliminating Spotnose.

It is too dark to be anything sire #2 is carrying, so I believe that Black Pastel is present. The color suggest more than just Blk Pstel so I am including YB. Now that may be the end of it, but the patterning on the head looks like Pastel is present. The other possibility is it is just Black Pastel YB Clown but the other hets present are influencing the color.

I still believe a 100% that this was sired by #1.

3 Likes

I assume the snake shed for its breeder. Hatch date was around 9/10/23. She has had one meal for me and is currently going into shed so I plan on posting post shed pics that will hopefully help

3 Likes

what would the DG do to the pattern and color in this case. Seeing you haven’t mentioned the DG, I assume you aren’t seeing any signs of it?

Also, do you know what the TH stands for in the DAM by chance, not having any luck figuring that out

3 Likes

TH just indicates it’s triple het. Het for clown, desert ghost, and hypo.

3 Likes

Not disagreeing here, but I do not think it’s possible this animal has pastel and black pastel. The coloration is way off it to be a black pewter. I think YB is present,

@ballornothing @banereptiles any thoughts on this snake?

5 Likes

I’d just do a shed test. Out of all the morphs in the pairings, the only tests they don’t have is spotnose. So if it tests positive for bp, yb, or hom DGa/DGb, then you know the bp leo yb dh DG clown is the sire. If it doesn’t test positive for any of those nor OD, then it’s possible its still sire 1, but it might be sire 2.

Do you know what the rest of the clutch was? Was it split sired? It is possible for only 1 hatchling to have a different sire, so this doesn’t mean a whole lot, but it can give you an indication on what’s most likely.

5 Likes

Gotcha, thank you

3 Likes

I unfortunately do not know what the rest of the clutch was. I do plan on doing a shed test on this girl. I truly believe she is a powerhouse snake, just need to know what she is packing to plan for the future. Thank you for the help

4 Likes

Is the breeder able to provide insight into what the rest was?

What did the breeder sell this snake to you as? And do they have photos of the parents they can provide?

3 Likes

Looks like a Pastel YB Clown to me.

5 Likes

I will have to ask about the rest.

He did not have her listed as anything. She was $100, he was upfront and said he hasnt had any time to really look her over. At the time, he didnt even know of it was male or female till he popped it for me. Obly thing that was clear is she is a clown.

Here are the pucs i found of the Dam and 2 Sires, sorry the 3rd poc isnt the best

3 Likes