Cohabitating crested geckos

I am wondering if anybody has any experience with cohabitating crested geckos. Right now I have a male crested gecko that I hope to breed in the future. I have him in a 30 gallon tall bioactive enclosure and I am wondering if it would be okay to keep him and a couple females in the same tank. From what I’ve read online I think it would be okay but not everything online is very accurate so I wanted to ask what your opinion was.

1 Like

Many people do co-hab males and females without issues, but I personally prefer not to. However, I did co-hab multiple females. I would usually keep females is groups in large enclosures and keep males in smaller solo enclosures, then rotate the males in for breeding. I never had any problems with this.

4 Likes

Females with females is definitely do able but if you were really set on keeping a male and female together I would at the very least keep a group of 1.2 because then the male wont harass a single female when he tries to breed. But every animal has its own personality and iv’e heard females attack other females so its really dependent on the animal. if you get a female be sure to introduce them and see how it goes the first few times.

2 Likes

My kid is co-habing a 1.1 right now and there is no issue other than we discovered they have been breeding and at least two hatchlings are MIA and we suspect cannibalized. Hazard of having them in a fully naturalistic viv though

4 Likes

Thank you, I’m probably going to end up putting a male and 2 females in the enclosure and keeping a close eye on them to make sure there aren’t any problems. If there are problems I can remove the male and then possibly add him back in for breeding season just to breed and then put him back in his enclosure. I’ll add in multiple egg laying boxes and then when the females lay eggs then I can incubate them and then keep the hatchlings in some 5 gallon enclosures that I have.

1 Like

if you setup a naturalistic enclosure you don’t even need to add egg boxes. My friend would find eggs scattered about in a naturalistic setup when he would breed his.

1 Like

That’s true, I might add them anyways just to maximize chances that I find the eggs and they hatch safely, but that’s still a possibility.

1 Like

Yeah… Unless your female is really good at hiding them. And then you only find eggs when you have an unrelated issue that requires you tear down the tank and suddenly find eight eggs in various states of incubation including two that obviously hatched but no signs of babies anywhere in the tank…
Not that I am speaking from experience here :laughing: :upside_down_face: :scream:

13 Likes

See? Now this is why I am glad you are a mod haha. But yeah I see your point.

2 Likes

Hey I see your user name is Erie-herps. Are you by chance from Erie, Pa? That happens to be my hometown and can offer you some advice .

No, unfortunately, it is in relation to Erie lake but I’m in NW Ohio.

Who Dey! :tiger: :tiger2:

I personally wouldnt recommend it outside of breeding (for a short amount of time). If you do plan on breeding I would be concerned 2 females or more together would result in the dominant gecko hogging food from the others. Ive heard horror stories about females killing males during breeding so that was enough to turn me away from it! I would hate to be a female gecko getting harassed my a male all day though. :joy:

1 Like

I had the male for a while so I learned behaviors and everything, I put them together and they’ve been fine, no fighting or anything, both are eating and neither are hogging anything. The male I have isn’t aggressive though (hopefully stays that way during breeding season) so I’m not too worried about them fighting or hurting each other. When I do add another female then I’m going to add another food source so everybody would be getting plenty of food. I think it’s worth the risk, if anything did happen I should be able to help them quickly since I’m often in my reptile room and I’d be able to quickly set up a new enclosure for the aggressor.

1 Like

Don’t cohabit just don’t they fight they get sick and just so many thing’s

1 Like

Why do you think that? Do you personally have experience or know somebody who has experience who tried that and got that outcome?

I have kept groups of females together no problem, for years. As long as the enclosure is large enough and there are multiple feeding stations, it works fine. Also, Anthony Caponetto, one of the individuals responsible for making crested geckos so popular, cohabs mixed sex groups (only one male) year round.

3 Likes

I know a number of others that do this as well. Groups of all-females or a single male with a harem are safe to cohab as long as you meet all the other necessary requirements: sufficient space, sufficient cover/hides. sufficient feed stations.

4 Likes

I keep my breeders in groups for certain ones . Pairs on more specific traits and maintain them year round like that. I have been breeding cresties from 1994 to today and only one time did I hsve a problem when a female just decided the cage was hers alone and she would run off Any newcomers. By relentlessly chasing them around So I removed her from my linages and never again has there been a issue . I quite literally have hundreds of cresties from hatchling rk beeedersx

3 Likes

I cohab females only, in pairs or trios.
The males have their own vivariums, as i found the non stop breeding would stress out the female, who would then be on edge the whole time and the male who would only think about breeding, and it’s not fair on them.
I pair when breeding only so neither are stressed out for long, and I leave them in for 3 days, or remove before if I see them lock :grin:

But the females all get along, have had a couple be picky about their tank mates so switched around some and now everyone is perfect :relaxed:

2 Likes