Cohabitating crested geckos

I am wondering if anybody has any experience with cohabitating crested geckos. Right now I have a male crested gecko that I hope to breed in the future. I have him in a 30 gallon tall bioactive enclosure and I am wondering if it would be okay to keep him and a couple females in the same tank. From what I’ve read online I think it would be okay but not everything online is very accurate so I wanted to ask what your opinion was.

Many people do co-hab males and females without issues, but I personally prefer not to. However, I did co-hab multiple females. I would usually keep females is groups in large enclosures and keep males in smaller solo enclosures, then rotate the males in for breeding. I never had any problems with this.

2 Likes

Females with females is definitely do able but if you were really set on keeping a male and female together I would at the very least keep a group of 1.2 because then the male wont harass a single female when he tries to breed. But every animal has its own personality and iv’e heard females attack other females so its really dependent on the animal. if you get a female be sure to introduce them and see how it goes the first few times.

1 Like

My kid is co-habing a 1.1 right now and there is no issue other than we discovered they have been breeding and at least two hatchlings are MIA and we suspect cannibalized. Hazard of having them in a fully naturalistic viv though

3 Likes

Thank you, I’m probably going to end up putting a male and 2 females in the enclosure and keeping a close eye on them to make sure there aren’t any problems. If there are problems I can remove the male and then possibly add him back in for breeding season just to breed and then put him back in his enclosure. I’ll add in multiple egg laying boxes and then when the females lay eggs then I can incubate them and then keep the hatchlings in some 5 gallon enclosures that I have.

1 Like

if you setup a naturalistic enclosure you don’t even need to add egg boxes. My friend would find eggs scattered about in a naturalistic setup when he would breed his.

That’s true, I might add them anyways just to maximize chances that I find the eggs and they hatch safely, but that’s still a possibility.

Yeah… Unless your female is really good at hiding them. And then you only find eggs when you have an unrelated issue that requires you tear down the tank and suddenly find eight eggs in various states of incubation including two that obviously hatched but no signs of babies anywhere in the tank…
Not that I am speaking from experience here :laughing: :upside_down_face: :scream:

8 Likes

See? Now this is why I am glad you are a mod haha. But yeah I see your point.

2 Likes

Hey I see your user name is Erie-herps. Are you by chance from Erie, Pa? That happens to be my hometown and can offer you some advice .

No, unfortunately, it is in relation to Erie lake but I’m in NW Ohio.

Who Dey! :tiger: :tiger2: