Cohabitating crested geckos

As an update I kept a 1.2 trio. I think the male was stressing out the females so I moved the two females to a new enclosure.

2 Likes

This concept is fascinating to me, and for the longest time i was very much in the “house alone” group. However, im always open to learning, to improving care, and in keeping my space efficent. I have three females, one of which is adult the ither two are juveniles/teenagers.

For those of you who do cohab females, whats your enclosure size? Are you using tubs, or commercially made enclosures?

I have a very tall, custom background paladarium that i have a male in currently and im considering switching him to my 24x24x36 (or… whatever the big more square -relatively speaking-tank is, i forget). And putting my girls in the paladarium. There are a ton of hidey spots, and id offer multiple food stations.

1 Like

I keep 2-3 females together, I would keep more per enclosure, but I don’t have space for bigger enclosures. I believe the 24 X 24 X 36 (or what ever it is as I can’t remember either) is okay for 2 females, however more is better

I keep males in solo enclosures and I have a breeding tub.

I had 1 lady that did not like cohabitation so she lives on her own but she didn’t mind her neighbours.

I only put Cresties together that are of a similar weight & size. I offer 2 feeding stations in different locations.

I’d recommend not moving them together until they are of similar weight

3 Likes

I think what you’re thinking of is the 18x18x24, which is what I use for my 2 females.

1 Like

For how long do you all co-habitate juveniles?

If females then I keep together until they go to new homes.
Even males and females sometimes if they get along and not near maturity! :grin:

3 Likes

Im surprised that you cohab even females …i know people do it, its just not something i like doing, all mine are housed individually so i know they are thriving, and also know who is eating, we have had no tail drops either at all …but that goes for all our reptiles …we dont cohabit anything not even babies/clutchmates

1 Like

I have cohab some of my babies out of curiosity. Some seem do better with cohab and some seem to do better individually. I guess it depends on the Geckos.

Same goes with adults. I think most do better on their own though

1 Like

Each to their own for sure! Some don’t like it and others do!
Theres a few breeders I know myself who Cohab also, they may not say it as a lot don’t put much out there, but I’ve even been and seen some as has the oh :blush: And they’ve had no issues either!

All my females are over 45+ Infact most bigger, All eating, they clean their bowls, we always put 2 bowls in the vivs, crickets all eat fine etc also, and all are thriving and doing amazingly!

I have also had no tail drops from
cohabing either so not sure why that’s mentioned?
We brought some cresties with no tails. And only had 2? Babs throw their tails as hatching annd one who escaped :smiling_face_with_tear:
Oh and a female who threw her tail as was bitten by a widow! So thank god she did throw it or she’d be dead.
Other than that everyone here is fantastic! :black_heart:

Suppose it’s like the tub situation, I don’t like the idea of a tub myself :smiling_face_with_tear: But I know ALOT who now use tubs as less expensive and can stack them on top and save room etc.

See I have Pumpkin who won’t eat on her own at all. Tried many times as she’s pet only, but she stops eating unless living with another female.

1 Like

Strawberry was hard to get to eat until cohab. Now she’s a fantastic eater.

I have a baby gecko that eat it’s tail thinking it was an insect :person_facepalming: but wasn’t cohab. Just a greedy gecko :sweat_smile:

It wiggles is it must be food! :smiling_face_with_tear::joy:

1 Like

Basically yes! This Gecko is so impatient for food that it eats from the bottle expecting it to be insects :rofl:

1 Like

You must get a video! :joy:

I never thought of that. I showed my eldest yesterday. He was in fits of laughter

1 Like

People would think we starve them :laughing:

1 Like

Def each to their own, of it works for you then its all good , only said about tails cos i k ow alot that cohabbit end up with tail losses but if you havent had that then all good
As you say alot of people dont like tubs, we dont stack ours either they are all on racks with appropriate ventilation …like we do our exo terra tanks, i dont like it myself when people jusy have stacks of tubs, we actually have a mixture of tubs which are semi bio and bio active tanks for the cresties and all thrive in both

1 Like

Worked for years luckily!
If any aren’t happy or eating then they go alone for sure, it’s never forced. But touch wood we’ve got some great pairs/trios.

Big mama for example can be fussy on who she lives with, she adores Dolly and has from day one, But there was a female I used to have, and when introducing it was apparent it wouldn’t work as she took a disliking instantly, so she didn’t go in the viv with her.
I also introduce and watch multiple times before hand :blush:

I’ve seen many fully bio tubs before too, plants, wood etc. they work if you need space, opening a lid though just isn’t for me.
Plus you can get very large tubs now! I know a few who use and they’ve got very large ones haha.

2 Likes

we have split lid ones that was a recommendation from Oddball …they are amazing so you dont have to fully take the lid off!

1 Like

Oh that’s a good idea, didn’t know she used tubs either! :blush:
Also seen people turn tubs on their side and they cut a big hole out then put mesh over, like a mesh door if that makes sense at all to you at all? Assuming they then glue the lid shut too…

I do see more people using tubs than vivs these days, with Leo’s and fat tails too.

Think also atm with everything costing more, tubs are the cheaper option for people atm.
My only issue is, you get some wallys with tub keeping and thinking they need nothing else in there like vivs or you can’t do bio etc…
example: I’ve recently seen someone keeping baby cresties in what looks like takeaway tubs with nothing but kitchen roll. And That’s it…
The person who was listing for the guy on a couple groups for sale won’t tell anyone who’s cresties they belong too who’s keeping them like it though so no one knows who’s keeping them so poorly or letting them go so small… Let alone listing them all wrong too :upside_down_face:

1 Like