Color changes in Albinos

I know that Albinos are yellow and white, however my girl (who is supposedly only albino) is starting to present some oranges. Is this typical or is there maybe some other gene involved that I don’t know about? It doesn’t matter to me personally, just curious as I will be breeding her when her time comes.

1 Like

Albinos will change as they age but, It may help if you post a picture so we can see what you are looking at. Guide in asking for Morph Identification Help

1 Like

I will try to get a better pic today if I can, she just shed last night and is very agitated so far today. I am just curious if Albinos with no other genes have oranges come out over time.

So I hope I’m going to word this right, if not hopefully one of the little genies will pop up and correct me

🧞‍♂️

@t_h_wyman

So during the development of your snakes pigment it went through certain branches. Each of these branches must be complete for it to develop the usual wild type pattern.

Yours stopped at the first hurdle, Albino, however it may have filled in parts of other branches that connected to it further down the line, giving it other possibilities of showing colour.

Think of it as this hypothetical postman.

The postman starts of in a bright white uniform.

With each and every house he delivers a letter he gets splattered with a different tone of paint.

Each street has its own colour and each house it’s own shade.

Your postman may have only posted the letters on White Lane and took a shortcut to post one letter on Orange street, and then finished his shift.

… I hope that makes as much sense as it does in my head :joy:.

There is a line of albino know as “blushing” albino where they develop orange and pink blushing as adults. We worked with this line when we had albinos.

1 Like

I dont suppose you would have pictures of both a “regular” albino and a “blushing” albino under the same lights would you @osbornereptiles ?

I’ve been looking. I have comparison pics somewhere. When they hatch they are yellow and white as oppose to the orange and white. The blushing het albinos look Axanthic at hatching and quickly gain normal color. They will also change different shades of yellow as adults. I’ll see if I can’t locate pics.

1 Like

Would love to see them. My girl is currently 500 grams and here oranges just seem to be more prevalent with each shed.

Quick answer is yes, some if not most albinos will show spots of orange as they age in the single gene form. If you’re talking about a large amount of orange throughout the body then there’s possibly another gene at play. I’ll try to get some pictures for you to show what I’m talking about with the single gene. Post some pics of yours though so we can get a better idea of what you’re referring to.

Just realized this pic doesn’t show what I’m talking about…the one on top is the single gene with some orange spotting around the alien heads…

2 Likes

So here are the ones I could find so far. These were all animals produced here.
Normal Albino and Blushing Albino

Clutch of both.

A clutch of hets with Blushing. Notice the one in the middle/bottom is lacking the orange.

2 Likes

After a couple of sheds. Blushing on the right.

2 Likes

I have been summoned

That was a good attempt at explanation @eaglereptiles but you missed the mark a little LOL

Without a picture of your animal @cocky2001 I cannot tell if there is another gene at play but if you bought it as just an Albino then in all likelihood it is nothing more than that. the “orange” you are seeing is not really orange so much as it is localized concentration of the yellow pigment in a smaller area. This is not uncommon with the morph/species. You tend to see it most frequently along the borders of their markings. You can also encounter it in blushing/flame areas

1 Like

That is exactly what I am seeing. Thanks everyone.

The blushing albinos go through a change as the grow into adults. The pink/orange-yellow blushing develops and they tend to have more contrast than the typical high-contrast albinos.

I have an albino who has turned almost all yellow from blushings in the “normal” pattern.

3 Likes