Congenital Defect in Crested Gecko

New poster here! Hello!

I work for a chain pet store and I’ve made a habit out of adopting the crested geckos we receive that aren’t considered sellable. Yesterday we got in this little crestie and it’s obvious he’s got a defect, I think he’s really too young to be this noticeably deformed from MBD. I’ve only had him for a day but he’s eaten some critical care mixed with some banana cream pie Repashy to make it more appealing, he chowed down like he’s never eaten before! He gets around more or less normally, his back legs sway a bit more… kinda like a person with large hips. I have him in a baby bin currently lined with some paper towels, the usual super simple set up. I noticed he passed some urates overnight as well. He can jump, but not very far like all the other youngin’s I’ve had. He’s on the thinner side at the moment.

I just wanted to hear some input from those of you who may be more experienced with this sort of thing. Based on the photos provided, how serious could his deformity be? I notice his ribs are also not uniform upon just visual inspection. As long as he can eat, pass stool and urates, and move around fairly well, what does his prognosis look like? Depending on how packed the exotic vet is in my area I might try and squeeze him in for an X-Ray. Any idea what morph he’d be as well? Don’t think he’s anything fancy, looks rusty-red in person.

11 Likes

Severe MBD :pensive:

He’s a red Harley also.

Poor thing, whoever he’s from is awful!!

11 Likes

I believe your Gecko has severe mbd. Sorry

10 Likes

I applaud your efforts, but this Gecko may not live long :cry:

12 Likes

Awwwww That just breaks my heart! But he is such a sweet little guy! I detest these big box stores that sell animals purchased from what I call “reptile mills”. The animals are mass produced and treated like disposable commodities…… Such a shame……:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::rage::confounded:

9 Likes

I’ll continue to update on his condition. I am not letting myself be too hopeful for his survival but he does definitely have a desire to live! He eats readily and has passed some urates so it gives me some reason to hope… I know our store only had him for two days, so he likely came to us like this…

He explores constantly just like any other baby too, so I don’t know. I give him a 50/50z

9 Likes

Well @nygma Even if he just has a few good months living a happy healthy life being well taken care of, that’s all that matters! It’s so kind of you to rescue the little dude! He’s probably been in cramped quarters for most of his short life so he is making the most of it by exploring his new home! And eating good food! :blush::+1::heart:

6 Likes

Got him to eat two small calcium coated crickets and some repashy tonight. Chugging water too. He pooped a nice poop for me too! I got a good pic of his side profile that I’ll post tomorrow when I have access to my laptop.

9 Likes

Awwwwwww! It sounds like the poor little guy was starved! With the way he is eating and drinking so well! I wonder if he had to fight for his food where he came from? :thinking:

And the fact that he is pooping :poop::poop::poop:well lets you know his plumbing is working!:blush:

You are doing a great job so far @nygma :+1::100::star_struck:

7 Likes

Poor little dude. Hope your care helps him feel much better whatever time he’s got. Sounds like he’s loving life and the food you gave him. Nice of you to look out for him.

8 Likes

Hooray for you, @nygma! The little guy is going to have a great home for whatever time he has. It sounds like he’s maximizing his opportunities now. It also sounds like he’s coming from an unethical breeder. He should not have been shipped for sale. I am glad this baby found you at the other end of that journey.

6 Likes

Whenever we get reptiles they come through UPS or FedEX so we can’t reject them upon arrival like rodents, the most we can do is make note of it on the invoice they send us for the reptiles so we aren’t charged for him… as far as I’m aware. But that wasn’t done this time, though I think anyone could see he’s not exactly Right.

Went to buy an upgrade tank today and got him some reptivite without D3 since he’s already getting calcium with D3 on crickets. How should I alternate the two? I know when they’re younger they can stand to eat more insects, would 2 super small crickets every 3 - 4 days be cool? I don’t wanna overload him but also wanna make sure he gets on MRP. Also bought him a brannnddd brand new UVB bulb to dangle over his critter keeper, don’t wanna blast him by sitting it right on top.

5 Likes

Crickets 2/3 times a week. They can easily eat 5+ a time.
I have some who will eat more.

You don’t need to dust crickets every feed either, couple times a week is fine. As you can overdose on it.

We use arcadia earth pro powder here usually, best one we’ve found.
Or repashy calcium plus.

5 Likes

Curious… what would cause such a severe case of MBD in such a small gecko. I mean there is some calcium in CGD. Musta just been feed crickets not dusted… or just starved to often to much? Anyways good on you for trying to help him…poor little guy. Probably has had a horrible existence up till now.

2 Likes

Some can be born with it. And as that’s young I would say the case.
Mum didn’t get enough anything which caused issues with the bab.

I would think very long and hard op as to if he has a good quality of life… I know we always want them to live and be ok but we can’t be selfish too, you don’t know he’s not suffering… the way he is at that age may only get worse… his lil insides all squashed and all… breathing affected… even with eating and drinking there could be issues.

8 Likes

It’s actually awful how bad he is. I’ve not seen one that horrendous in a long time :cry:

7 Likes

I see something like this and it’s so frustrating. We all miss things, but there is no excuse for a breeder to allow an animal to get this deformed much less sell it to someone. People can be so gross sometimes.

6 Likes

When I worked in pet care at Petsmart I learned about “wholesale reptile mill breeders” that sell to the big box stores. The little critters are massed produced and shipped in extreme hot and cold weather, and in obvious critical condition as is this case. It’s all about the money and “disposable@ little animals. :pensive:

5 Likes

I’ve seen so many videos those places. So heartless.

5 Likes

Here’s a sickening Petsmart story.

We received a FedEx box one afternoon in the middle of summer- 90 degree temperatures. I opened the box and inside were 6 little deli cups with 6 little melted ball python babies inside. The “overnight” FedEx label was dated 5 or 6 days before the box was delivered to us. In other words 5 or 6 days late in the middle of a summer heat wave. Did the box get lost? For sure. Should those babies have been shipped out in the first place? H—L no!

Need I say more?

7 Likes