Considering jungle x jungle

God I love those. I’d love to have one. I feel like early on inbreeding may have contributed, from what I have read? I’m no expert, but I know gecko’s have plenty of infertile morphs that get made just so people can have them as pets. Now if they die 10 years early, that’s another story.

I feel like real documented trials, with extremely detailed notes and diverse genetic pools would give some definition to the situation.

2 Likes

To the best of my understanding, the problems with Super Jungle have nothing to do with inbreeding, and therefor the lines can’t be “strengthened” by outcrossing. The problem is an inherent part of the gene, and all Super Jungles, inbred or not, are at risk for the associated defects.

3 Likes

This one was even bigger 25 lbs. My daughter landed it.

Now to get back on topic if i do breed jungle to jungle it would be this female.

To this male. He is a BCC X BCI.

9 Likes

Arabesque x Arabesque also produce ones with genetic abnormalities. Such a pairing has the likelihood of resulting in half the babies having genetic defects and/or a high rate of mortality.

Where have you heard this? I’ve never heard of abnormalities from Arab x Arab. Only that it appears dominant, with a few extreme pattern variances.

1 Like

Back when I first started keeping, pre-FB, when the forums were popular, I recall discussions and I have been under the impression that it was similar to how it is with say Spider BPs, that the Super was either a lethal combo or that a Super doesn’t exist. At one point someone had what they thought could be Super Arabesque, and they looked something like you described, but needed to be proven out - similar to how you have to prove out Super Hypos by breeding them.
I’ll be honest, I haven’t kept up with that to see if they were ever proven out, but the fact that I’ve never seen an ad for a Super Arabesque makes me think that it could be similar to the spider BP where there aren’t ones or it’s a lethal combo. I’ll be the first to admit I could be wrong, that I don’t know everything, but I think it’d be a good thing to research further. I used the genetics calculator on MM to see if I could find ad examples of any Super Arabesque or combos and none came up.
Everything I ever read back in the day advised against breeding for the Supers in Motleys, Jungles, Arabesque, and Aztecs.
Of course, so much valuable information that existed on those forums has been lost as they shut down.

3 Likes

The old forum days were so great. Kingsnake, the boa forum, the reptile room, fauna, rtb, and so forth. I have a tolerate/hatred thing with Facebook for killing them off.

I really miss the reptile room and the boa forum especially.

4 Likes

Great discussion, y’all, even though this has THOROUGHLY messed up our breeding plans. :sweat_smile:
I miss the forums, too, but maybe we can do it even better this time?
Plus, a lot of great new people have joined the hobby since then.
There’s a lot of good things going on in the herp industry right now. It’s really exciting to participate!

3 Likes

Thankfully a few forums still are around, this one so far has been a good one (far better than what kingsnake did with their forums). I only wish more sellers would use it.

The main thing we need to do (this is my opinion some others I’m sure think differently) is we try to be civil and not let our personal feelings become facts we try and preach (which is the biggest problem found on Facebook) I know I was guilty of this plenty in the old days.

6 Likes

There weren’t enough like buttons for this post. :grin:

2 Likes

I agree I like this forum to and plan to stick around. I always try to help when I can. I may not be the smartest one :laughing: but I do have years of experience owning boas. I always try to remember I was new at one time and knew nothing about boa back in 1976 when I got my first boa.

It’s so much easier to find info nowadays. Not all of it is correct on the internet but if you research enough you can figure it out what is correct.

I remember the first time my boa had an eye cap. I thought she was going blind in one eye. Ended up taking her to the Brookfield zoo in Chicago. The head guy in charge of the reptile house meet me in the parking lot and just popped the eye cap right off. Talked to him for about 30 minutes about boas.

9 Likes

I’ve decided not to breed Junglebesque to Junglebesque. Instead I’m going to put a leopard to Jasmin my proven Junglebesque to get some 100% hets. I’ll try to find a super jungle to pick up and raise instead.

6 Likes

You, too, huh?
:rofl:
We traded out a 3 year old Purple Paradise Keltic Jungle male to fix this problem.
We’re going to sell or trade our 2020 breeder’s holdback Ghost Motley possible Jungle as well.
This one really caught me off guard, but we’ve just about reorganized our way through it.
I was thinking “Super Jungles?!:
EVERYONE will want these!!!”
wrong.
Better to find out now though!
Aaron

2 Likes

Wow never knew about any issues with Arabesque x Arabesque. I guess thats why I have never seen one! What is the problem with khal Albino x Abraesque as that one is new to me and I hope to produce Arba Sunglows in the future?

2 Likes

I doubt the Arabesque x Arabesque breeding has issues as it’s been done multiple times. It appears dominant in those breedings. The problems with Arabesque I’ve heard about are being delicate when fed (can’t feed large prey etc) but I’ve had no issues with any of mine. Combining all of my Arabesques together I have close to 100 years of lifetime with them all and they have been great feeders, grow well, no regurge etc.

Regarding Kahl Albino Arabesque, any problems would likely be in regards to the Albino problems not to do with incorporating Arabesque.

5 Likes

I had no issues with Arabesque and Kahl Albinos when I bred them

7 Likes

I have never had any issues with my Arbaesque het Khal girl either and i have had her since she was a wee litle baby. She is now somewhere around 10 pounds and a complete sweetheart with a bottomless stomach! I am glad people are still working with the gene as i love the pattern and color mutations it provides, especially the freckles!!!
Whats your favorite Arba combo?

2 Likes

Beautiful parents and babies you have there!! I’ll take #6 please, no creature should be aloud to be that derpy, and thoes eyebrows ^^!

3 Likes

8 Likes

The freckles are such a huge part of their unique appearance. My favorite Arabesque combo is the Jungle Arabesque. It’s simple, they complement one another so well and they get better and better with age. I hope to get a monster tail to work into the combo down the road to pump up the tail color.

5 Likes