Cooling down Leopard Gecko Enclosure for brumations

Hello all! first post here, been stalking MM for quite some time now, and im pretty much doing my finishing touches on my Leopard gecko breeding project, but want to brumate them to give them a more successful pairing and clutch, but im in the middle of georgia and this winter is about 70 degrees every day, and my room which i keep them gets to about 75-76 at night, too warm to properly get them down to state to where their metabolism will slow enough, if anyone knows any tricks it would be greatly appreciated, i currently keep my Breeders in roughly 40 gallon pvc tanks (separated rn of course)

2 Likes

Brumation isn’t necessary and none of the breeders I’ve talked to think it’s necessary (though one uses brumation to take a break from the responsibilities). As long as you lower the temperatures and adjust the day cycle a little bit during the winter and do the opposite in the spring your geckos will be in the cycle. But, if you still want to brumate these threads might help you:

I agree with erie-herps, leopard geckos do not need to be burmated, I have discussed with many breeders of leos and they have agreed. I’ve never heard of it, but I’m sure it is still alright to do. I’m not totally sure though.

1 Like

It doesn’t hurt them but it’s unnecessary. Some breeders do it while others don’t. There’s no difference in the results of the two.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification, I have never heard of it, but was almost sure it did not effect anything. :+1:

1 Like

thank you all! iv read mixed things on the topic, generally read that it isnt needed but helps, heard its not but some breeders have better success while doing it, but since pretty much every breeder under the sun doesn’t do it il take their experience over what i read lol

1 Like