How to get proper Brumate temperatures

So my house only gets in the mid 70s during winter and I want to breed hognoses so how would I go about getting the right temps 55-60 that I’ve heard

1 Like

I have heard of buying wine coolers and setting them up properly. I hope this helps.

I’ll tag some hognose breeders I know

@trnreptiles
@elementalherps
@stewart_reptiles

2 Likes

I’ve used a wine cooler as a brumation chamber! I basically just propped the door open, which kept it at the perfect temperature.

It’d probably work a bit differently depending on the fridge and what kind of temperature settings it has, but it’s definitely something you have to fiddle with first!

I kept my hogs in regular sterilite tubs, with their water bowl. They will still drink water while in brumation, as they don’t fully go to sleep like with hibernation in mammals.

2 Likes

I’ve successfully used a wine cooler to hibernate hognose over the last 5 years. For air exchange, I open the door every other day for 30 seconds or so. I stopped putting water dishes in their tubs as their shavings were becoming super saturated and I was worried about RI’s. Instead, I pull them out and offer them water weekly. This season I may try cooling the entire room though.

1 Like