Crested Gecko Birth Defect

Hi!

Ive been monitoring my new baby crestie since rescuing her from Petco, and I noticed two of her toes are fused together. The two middle toes on one of her front legs. There is nothing wrapped around them and she shed just fine recently.

I will get pictures later but has anyone else seen this? It does cause her to stumble and not climb well. But she eats great. The foot is smaller.

Thinking of renaming her to Toes… lol

5 Likes

Aawwww poor little baby! Sounds like maybe a birth defect if that foot is smaller. Or maybe the deformed foot was caused by a previous accident……Either way you now have a special needs gecko…….:lizard::blush:

1 Like

Love her all the same! Shes also growing a little slower, but shes got a heat pad all hooked up to keep her warm.

Will definitely have to work to make sure her upgrade from her baby tank is suitable if she falls.

2 Likes

Yes her handicap should be considered when upgrading her setup. Maybe little safety nets would be in order! And she definitely needs a bit of heat as well…… :blush::+1::lizard:

2 Likes

Two toes fused together… Sounds like the Gecko wasn’t humid enough and the toes stuck together. Or could be a birth defect. Pics would help.

Heat mats don’t really help with most enclosures as doesn’t warm the ambient temp. Overhead heat is preferred.

Although I use heat mats (combined with oil filled radiator for the room)

5 Likes

Shes in a tub at the moment. What would be an option that wouldnt melt the tub?

2 Likes

Also, theyve been like that since I got her. More than a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

Pics, as you can see theyre fused together. There also deformed, there are no sticky pads on them. So she misses when climbing.

3 Likes

Heat is 76F and humidity is around 70-80, with a drop at night.

3 Likes

That actually looks like some stuck shed that’s actually also restricting one of the toes, also looks like her claws are missing?

Humid baths, in a tub, wet paper towel and make sure tub is misted to try help solve this.

What’s she eating?

4 Likes

Aaawwwww! She is so precious! There’s no telling what happened to her poor little foot! She looks happy with you though! I think she will be just fine and dandy with you! :lizard::wink::blush::heart::+1:

3 Likes

Pangea breeding and growth, pangea papaya, and the banana cream treat mix. 1/1/.5 ratio. The treat mix is to try and put some weight on her, I suspect she is stunted.

She eats around 4 crickets twice weekly as well.

I did see the abcess as I was taking pictures. And yes, the claws missing lead me to believe it is a birth defect. When you see it in person the toes are seamlessly fused together. I have tried gently separating them with a wet cotton swab, but they are formed together. I will try the baths to see if it helps with the abcess.

3 Likes

She may have the stuck shed because of the way theyre fused. Since its just on the one side… unsure.

3 Likes

Crickets 2/3 times a week is best. Pangea every other day also.

Let us know how she gets on!

How old is she?

5 Likes

Unsure! Thinking around 4-6 months. My 9 month old is twice her size so going off of that. And will do!

3 Likes

I’d say she’s perfect size for that age.

4 Likes

Poor lil gecko. Definitely sounds like the feet got stuck together through low humidity & stuck shed.
Probably from the store :worried:

if in a small ish box, heat mats should be okay :smiling_face:

3 Likes

It is a smaller tub. She slips due to the foot so shell probably have to be in a smaller tub for life. Obviously lots of floor space and what climbing space im comfortable with, considering she can still crawl around. Going to try soaking and see if it does help

3 Likes

If it were me, I think I’d give her a more horizontal enclosure with very soft bedding so that lots of low climbing opportunities can be offered to give her the proper Crestie Experience, and she can just hop back up if she falls a short distance. Substrate kept nice and cushiony and limiting the possible drop distance will let her be a gecko without hurting herself.

5 Likes

This is what i was trying to say^^ shell have plenty of room to crawl around.

Pics after a hornworm treat

4 Likes