Crested Gecko Enclosure Re-do

I’ve started gathering supplies for my crested gecko’s enclosure. next steps are to collect wood from a local park to place in the habitat, then go to home depot to get supplies for the background, which is a big foam board, soldering pen, foam carver, drylok and paint. I will be doing updates with photos across the next few weeks showing the process. should I share the first pic when I have the background installed or when I have all the supplies?

6 Likes

I think as you progress sharing photos would be enjoyed and appreciated by many of us.

Definitely want updates :blush: What ever pics your willing to share :grin: I will one day do the backgrounds on my enclosure, when I get more time… It’s so much fun :grin:

Make sure the branches you collect hasn’t had any chemicals or it can be fatal to your gecko. Oh and make sure it’s not from an evergreen tree.

I have collected many with no issues, but I recently cut my magnolia tree back so I’ve kept the branches from them so I’m doubly sure - I’ve just got to bake them now :fire:

Can’t wait for updates :relaxed:

1 Like

I will make sure it’s not an evergreen tree, and the park I’m getting them from is a hiking/forest park, so I know they’re not spraying chemicals all over the entire 340 acre forest. :grin:

2 Likes

Also you want to cook your wood you collect in the oven before putting into your viv! Otherwise you risk slugs/snails and other bugs getting into your enclosure and I will say that isn’t fun to deal with!! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I agree, I cook all mine. If they are too big for the oven I chop then down. Gives off a nice smell when cooking them. Apparently you can bleach, but I’ve never tried it.

Also you can boil any leaves you collect, which I’m sure you know too! Or also cook them by putting on a baking tray! :blush:

2 Likes

I have done this :arrow_up:
And it works amazing :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@ghoulishcresties @foxreptile @lumpy Yes, I know all this :grin: I’ve cooked wood for reptiles before. I bought the leaves I’ll be using at a reptile expo, so that will not be a problem.

4 Likes

Sorry, force of habit. I’m sure you know exactly what your doing and I can’t wait to see the final result.

I’ve only ever bought leaves lol but I plan to gather the leaves from my garden this year :crossed_fingers: we’ve had lots of ants so I haven’t bothered.

1 Like

No need to apologize! whenever someone around me mentions they’re getting a reptile, I end up walking them through an entire care guide :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Same…I love talking about reptiles :grin:

1 Like

Glad it’s not just me :joy:

1 Like

Omg I do the same, I’m always used to being asked everything about Cresties that I too just help when I’m probably not needed😅
Or I go on a rant about reptiles to my family and they just stare at me… (No one in my family or friends have reptiles so) :joy:

2 Likes

Same! Most of my family members won’t even go near a reptile :joy:

3 Likes

I ended up over my aunties last week after collecting 3 Cresties and a fat tail.
My Nan was getting them all out and stroking them and telling them they’re cute, and my Aunt ran… She literally ran off into the house.
After about half hour she came and stroked one saying how soft they were but said she still doesn’t like them. :woman_facepalming:t2::joy:

3 Likes

No one I know really understands my fascination with reptiles, other than hubby :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: even then, I think that he thinks I go overboard.

Hubby tells me off for overthinking things with his snakes :blush:

Partly why I love it on here :grin:

1 Like

Do you usually get dead leaves off the ground or live leaves off the plant

2 Likes

I personally go with dead leaves on the ground. Obviously ones without signs of mold or any other things that could be bad.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t take it off the tree as that can damage the tree, plus if it’s not your tree it is likely illegal.

Same with wood, if it’s not your tree then you aren’t allowed to cut it. We have some places near us where it’s illegal to take anything off of the floor so it’s definitely worth checking first.

1 Like