Crested Gecko Enclosure Re-do

You pick up dry leaves off the ground.
Oak is usually best, and if you know the person, magnolia leaves! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I will be collecting the leaves from my magnolia tree this year :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Magnolia leaves are awesome, let me see if I can get a picture of my tree LOL :joy:

Here is my tree

4 Likes

Lovely tree.

I like magnolia trees :grin: I will try to get a pic of my tree at some point, but it’s raining ATM

2 Likes

I can’t wait for pictures! Pictures of everything is great. :grin:

You can’t use bleach on wood or some plastics since it stays in the porous parts and causes dangerous fumes. Baking and/or boiling works best from what I’ve found.

Is there a problem with this? :rofl: I do the same. They give me the look of what are you actually planning to do with your life. :rofl:

I never knew that magnolia trees could be grown. I might have to look into getting one. Usually I just collect a ton of leaves in fall from leaf piles and that lasts me the year.

2 Likes

The magnolia tree is about to blossom, so I’m holding out before I take pics :grin: it was here when we moved in (several years ago) & already well established so we kept it, not the best spot but there was no way I’d get rid of it.

I’ve managed to collect some leaves from the cut of bits and I’ve just got to cut the branches down to size for the oven, it probably won’t need a trim now for a few years. I’ve got a few enclosures to do this year so will definitely be collecting more in autumn when the tree drops it’s leaves… It’s great to not have to go far for them :fallen_leaf:

I’ve read that about bleach but as I’ve never used it (and don’t plan to) I’ve never really looked into it, but good to point out. The main reason I decided not to use bleach as it’s not great for a bathtub of done regularly, plus I have 2 nosey children… Oven is safer for us and OMG I love the smell of freshly cooked wood/leaves :wind_face:

1 Like

I’ve done some pyrography and that’s one of my favorite parts of doing it.

1 Like

Lol this made me laugh! :rofl:

2 Likes

So my tree hasn’t bloomed yet, but as the weather is nice I thought I’d take a pic. There is a few flowers… Will try to get another pic when it’s in flower.

I hope to get lots of leaves in autumn :crossed_fingers: I’ve already collected a small bag from the branches I cut off. Just got to chop the branches down and pop them in the oven :grin:

1 Like

So, I almost have all the supplies now, so the next update should be coming soon!

3 Likes

Yey can’t wait :grin:

now I have all the supplies for the background, so I’ll show the process to making that. I won’t be installing it until I have all the plants though.

nevermind, I don’t have the hot wire cutter yet.

Is there any way to stop a crested gecko from from destroying a parlor palm? I really want to put one in the enclosure, but I know the have a reputation for flattening them.

1 Like

Nothings going to stop a Crestie from destroying any plants. Defo learnt that the hard way :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I agree, they will destroy it if they want to.

I put my parlor Palm in the back corner of an enclosure with a plant in front of it and logs next to it, that way it doesn’t get totally crushed, it just falls to the other plants (usually) it’s been in the enclosure for several months now. It was an already established plant before I put it in.

My two girlies don’t tend to go on it anymore, they prefer to hide behind it

1 Like

@foxreptile @ghoulishcresties I think I’ll put a big vertical log instead :grin: I was orignally gonna use a plant for him to hid in, but now I think I’ll go for more of a tree look.

4 Likes

Logs may do better, but not as pretty

3 Likes

To beautify you always can add pathos :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Yes! Was gonna say pothos. :laughing:
Or what we’ve done before is put a birds nest fern into the log! Looks like a tree! Or another big fern :blush:

5 Likes