Crested gecko hatchling enclosure size

I’m planning on breeding crested geckos and currently building a rack for the hatchlings. I’m wondering what size enclosure the hatchlings can live in, I was planning on 5 gallon vertical aquariums but I can’t find any anywhere since they’re all overpriced fish tanks. I’m wondering if tubs could work even though they don’t provide a whole lot of vertical climbing space.

2 Likes

We have been using 32oz tall deli cups for egg pair siblings, they work well enough. Then we bump up to the 6x8 Kritter Keepers

3 Likes

Do you use underbelly heat?

1 Like

So long as your home is within 72-80°F you shouldn’t need to heat them. Extra heat can easily kill baby cresties.

3 Likes

Cresties do not need any heat. As Ashley notes, heat can kill. Not just the babies but the adults as well

3 Likes

I’m going to use 32 oz deli cups for the hatchlings and I got Kritter Keepers but I’m wondering if these would work better than the Kritter Keepers. They’re 128 oz Arrow Stackable Stor-Keepers. I got them at Big Lots and they’re $3 each.

1 Like

i like the idea of these because it gives the crestie more height than the kritter keeper, but id probably add some cross ventilation if i did this myself. i think in the long run you could use either and have perfectly happy and healthy hatchlings! i keep my babies in kritter keepers and i find they still use the space and enrichment i provide for them.

2 Likes

I’m going to add some cross ventilation, that was another reason I liked these, I got the idea for the container from a tarantula forum and I figured that they’d work good for cresties. I also especially like the fact that they’re vertical and they can provide more enrichment and usable space for the geckos.

2 Likes

yeah when i first saw the containers i was thinking tarantula enclosure too! ive seen some very creative ways to make arboreal enclosures and i think this has the potential to work really well! id love to see your final product when you’re done.

3 Likes

Yeah, that would work fine. I would just be wary whenever you open/close the lid to make sure you do not pinch a toe/tail

3 Likes

Cresties do require heat dependant on the room temperature. I live in the UK and have heat mats (low heat) for the cooler months as it can sometimes get cold at night for a couple of hours.

Be careful with using curved edges for an enclosure, baby Cresties can struggle with gripping on them. It is definitely worth trying out though.

I am hoping to breed my Cresties this year and I will be starting them in a 3l RUB then moving them up after a few weeks to approximately 25 X 20 X 35cm front opening enclosure.

2 Likes

This is something I’m using for my lil cresties at the moment

4 Likes

Did you make that?

No, I found a crested gecko breeder that has a shop on Etsy which sells cool stuff for cresties like the bendy vine that is in there. I only have one ATM as I’m trialling it out as bio-active.

I have seen other options online also.

2 Likes

Thanks that helps :blush:

1 Like

Glad I can help. It’s so much easier than something that opens at the top as it’s easy to get to the food/water bowl and the Crestie, plus has plenty of ventilation. I have seen smaller sizes which might be better for hatchlings also.
I put my Crestie in there at 5g and Crestie loves it

2 Likes

I use these for mine now, hatchlings go straight in a day after hatching, and do brilliantly, growing quick, all healthy and active and loving the space! I have 2 in each one (same clutch goes in together), as you can see they’re decent size then as they grow they’ll be spilt up. Honestly been amazing! :blush:

SONGMICS Shoe Boxes, Pack of 18 Stackable Shoe Storage Organisers, Foldable and Versatile for Sneakers, Fit up to UK Size 9, Transparent and White LSP18MWT https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081GM6SDW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z2MK74TCS8S3720JVD62?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

Omg that’s what I use!!
Now sure what you paid but here ya go, the link to the ones I get from Amazon. :grin:

SONGMICS Shoe Boxes, Pack of 18 Stackable Shoe Storage Organisers, Foldable and Versatile for Sneakers, Fit up to UK Size 9, Transparent and White LSP18MWT https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081GM6SDW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z2MK74TCS8S3720JVD62?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

I paid a bit more (when you divide the cost per box), but that’s because I bought just one and it has some extra bit at the front. As I have some tiny exo terras that I bought a while back for the babies but they are expensive.

I’m definitely going to buy them from Amazon and do the bit at the front myself, thanks! They are amazing.

Only downfall is I can’t use UV. But I wouldn’t use that for baby cresties anyway

3 Likes

Sorry for kind of reviving this older thread but what about uvb? Ive read that we’re now finding that they benefit from it, do you all find that thats true or that it doesnt really make a difference?

1 Like