Cultures growing like wildfire!

At what point is it safe to culture my colony to reduce crowding while i increase their numbers?

Also, i feel like its risky to lift the cork but can find no mention of dangers, is it safe to check on them like this or should i only do this if removing and cultureing?

Cant upload video, so uploaded to youtube instead. Ignore my breathing lol.

1 Like

Oh… derp… thats a picture not a video… fudge… how do i…

I usually add them into Vivs, or sell them when I have too many. You have quite a lot so you can reduce them fine!
Though my dairy cows I haven’t sold yet. I have hundreds and I don’t want to part with them :joy:

2 Likes

I don’t need them. But I am very happy for you that your cultures are growing so well!

2 Likes

Its crazy, i started with about 20 isos total and 500 springtails. its been only 3 months lol

2 Likes

That is wildfire!

2 Likes

The giant yellow spotted dont seem to be breeding yet, but the whites and especially the oranges have basically exploded in population haha. If the colony looks stable to culture, i think im gonna make a couple more bioactive grow containers will probably seperate the spotted giants so they arent outcompeted and die off.

3 Likes

I will definitely be keeping my current soil mix moving forward, it has worked far better than i imagined. Luckilly i have plenty of saved snake shed from before the mites, so i have plenty kf food for them.

3 Likes

Defo separate.
I don’t mix when colonising them, as they’ll kill others off usually. My cows would 100% win over dwarf whites haha.
We’ve got different types and have them in vivs too, i added only a few cows in a few vivs and gone mental :sweat_smile:
I also think the cresties may eat some if they see them so not a bad thing for them :grin: So any reptiles you have that would have a nibble?..

Make some more tubs up add around 10 in there, watch them boom! Add more if you want but it’s so fun seeing them start off as a few and then go mental :sweat_smile:

We got 11 Panda kings the other day… already shedding to breed, so we shall see in a couple months how many there is then! (If I can count them)…

4 Likes

No nibbles, my animals are carpet pythons and ball pythons. So isos are far too small for them haha, though my sister has leopard geckos in bioactive with a humid hide, she hasnt tried actually putting a CUC in with them yet, but the setups are ready. As long as she keeps the humid hide moist, it should work as a home for a CUC. Her leos look at dubias like they are satan, nor will they eat adult mealworms, so they may not nibble on them haha. I definitely have enough oranges for her to test. Dont think the sprintails would do well with leos though, too dry, the humid hide wouldnt really be enough for them i dont think.

1 Like

Yeah they should be fine with Leo’s. They may try much on the bigger ones, tasty mini treats :sweat_smile:
Oh don’t you love a fussy reptiles :woman_facepalming:t2:
Took me months to get a fat tail off wax worms because the previous owner kept feeding them!
I have a mixture of isopods in with my fat tails, all live over the moist side and in the hides, they are breeding too, I’ve put in dairy cows, tropical Greys and dwarf whites.
Funny enough too the fat tails seem to do their business over that side also :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh yeah, shes not getting the armadilliums haha, the powder oranges reproduce fast enough they could take some attrition though haha

3 Likes

An update, my dairy cows, ghestri (spelling, the yellow dotted ones), dalmations, blues, oranges, and little seas are all breeding. My zebras are as well… but with how fast they commit suicide, we will see how that works haha.

1 Like

Nice! I have found that all these are very prolific. Like this thread states, they are like a wildfire!

The ghestri took the longest, but now that they are going, i hope it continues reliably :slight_smile: alot of these werent cheap to try starting up, so success means it wasnt a wasted investment :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh! On a side note, they have been thriving with me using baby carrots as extra food, but i worry they may need variety. They have been demolishing them like no tomorrow, but should i add other veggie types? Im very inexperienced when it comes to isopods and am keen to learn any tips or tricks if you have them :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is funny. How do yours do suicide? :grinning: My A. officinalis culture felt “adventurous” and about 100 of them escaped through an uncovered hole for cross-ventilation. I checked on them one morning before heading to my school, and saw them in a line TAKING TURNS dropping through the hole to the outside worlds. It was adorable but crazy. I am still finding the dried-up roly-poly corpses scattered throughout my reptile room :grinning:

Baby carrots work great! They are known to enhance the colors on your isopods, but other than that, they are not super rich in nutrients. From my experience and my research, alternating between squash, grain, and apple really works wonders for both growing and producing. :slight_smile:

It doesn’t take much experience to keep isopods, even some rare ones like Cubaris. They are really a lot simpler than most let on. :slight_smile:

I have some that sneak out air vents and cant walk on the plastic surface so flip upside down and dry up (i need to get some wore mesh for the air vents, some of my colony tubs arent very advanced yet… they are tubberware with air slits in the top essentially haha. But thats across all of them ill occasionally find some. The zebras like to drown themselves. All the other species are content using the moss as long as i dont let it dry out. But the zebras if it gets any drier than dripping wet, they decide its time for a swim… it doesnt go well for them xD

1 Like

Haha. Yep, a lack of mesh screen is what caused my officinalis to escape. :slight_smile:

Do you put standing water in your isopod bins? They typically don’t need them at all and just the moss is fine. Of course a bioactive will probably have a water bowl, but generally standing water is just a death trap for isopods :slight_smile: