Dark Charcoal/Pewter line

Wanted to share where my Onyx line charcoals are currently at. I’m real excited to see where 2026 takes me with this lineage.
I’m not entirely sure if there’s one gene, or 2, or a full on polygenic suite causing the variance I can find in a clutch.

The founding female, an SMR pewter

The holdback daughter

And the current generation

1.1 charcoal masques

1.1 pewter masque

11 Likes

Very nice dark corns! That founding female is particularly gorgeous!

7 Likes

Wow that is really a great project. Love dark colored snakes and those are awesome!

6 Likes

Love seeing these beauties! Are you expecting more hatchlings from this project this season? How old are the babies in the latter pics?

4 Likes

The 4 babies were about 7 months in those pictures.

Yearling pictures, taken today. This line tends to lighten up for the first 2 years and then darkens significantly.

10 Likes

Beautiful snakes!!

4 Likes

Love seeing these beauties as they grow. How many do you currently have from these lines?

4 Likes

Nice project!

5 Likes

I have the original holdback daughter who is the mom of the current babies, an adult male pewter full sibling to the '22 kids, their adult charcoal het motley half-sister (through mom), their adult lavender het pewter half-sister (through dad who is unrelated to the founding female), and their niece, a pewter het lavender (through the full brother to the lavender female). And I kept back 2 lighter '22 female charcoals. So in the end I have a 3.8.

5 Likes

Very nice. That gives you quite a few possible future combinations. They are truly beautiful, and a very distinctive look. Congrats again!

4 Likes

While it won’t help me towards my goal of darker and darker charcoals, anyone with Gabby as a mom is also at least 50% het for hypo and amel, and anyone with Gallium (sire to the '22s) as a sire is 50% het for lavender. Will definitely make for some interesting clutches in the future.

4 Likes

Thank you, I’m very pleased with them!

4 Likes

thank you! I’m really happy where I’ve gotten considering the males I’ve had to work with have all been very light colored. It’s great to finally have some darker males to keep back and I suspect I’ll get nearer my goals much faster when I’m not diluting so much.

5 Likes

What is your goal?

4 Likes

To create charcoals and pewters at least as dark as the founding female from SMR. Don said that he would randomly produce some that dark, nothing consistent. I want to be able to consistently produce near-black charcoals and pewters.

6 Likes

She’s a beautiful snake I can see why

3 Likes

Beauties for sure! The dark coloring is striking! :+1::100::white_check_mark::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Apparently Onyx at least took that idea of ‘lighten for 2 year’ and went ‘nah’

Coal:

Jet:

Marquina:

9 Likes

They are all great but Onyx…just wow!

5 Likes

Onxy is so dark already, it’s kind of hard to imagine how that coloring may end up. You may get that mythical black corn snake!

I know that Jet isn’t the coloring you are going for, but personally I really like the purplish tones on this one.

5 Likes