Day active snakes

I am wondering if I am going to have a daily active snake. Not big or heavy snake. Maybe a size of treepython.

We are building our terrariums in our living room, so when the ball pythons are in their hides during the day, I would like have a snake that I actually can see in daytime.

It is so hard to get anything from Finland. We don’t have breeders so many.

But I really like colors and l like climbing snakes.

Do yu have recommens or opinion ?

2 Likes

Eyes are peeled on this lol.

What about BRBs? I want one of those so bad but don’t know that much about them, are they a little more active?

1 Like

Most king snakes, milk snakes and rat snakes are active during the day. Blue beauty rat snakes
and Taiwanese beauty rat snakes are semi-arboreal, and so are Texas rat snakes and black rat snakes. Corn snakes are also active during the day and explore a lot.

4 Likes

Seeking a point of clarification here (I am thinking it may be a language barrier) - Is your intent to cohabitate these animals in the same enclosure?

1 Like

@t_h_wyman
I didn’t see that at all I don’t think they meant that.

1 Like

@thecrawdfather
Not saying it is there intent, it just is not fully clear.

But if it is their intent that changes the list of possible answers so I am seeking clarity in order to answer more appropriately

2 Likes

Are you set on Pythons or are you open to Colubrids as well?

1 Like

No. Every snake is going to have their own enclosure. It is going to be just whole wall full of balls, so it would be nice to see someone in one of them instead of watching “empty” terrariums…My breeding adults will have bigger glass “tanks” and others in rack we are building.

@stewart_reptiles, I am really open to any kind of snakes that fits my plans. Biggest terrarium is going be maybe at least 150cm(could be more) tall x 120cm x 60cm an there is space fo climbing.

2 Likes

With that size of enclosure you could easily get any of the snakes I listed. Colubrids like king snakes and rat snakes are always active and most like climbing. You should be able to find a couple species that you can have shipped to Finland at some point, but you may have to wait until later in the year for hatching season. And for shipping restrictions from the pandemic to pass.

2 Likes

The enclosure would be larger than needed but with the right amount of “furniture” that would make a great space for a Honduran Milksnake, Not climber by nature but active and if given the opportunity they will climb a little.

And as far as color well those are Hypo Tangerine, Extreme Hypo Tangerine and Extreme Hypo Vanishing Pattern Tangerine, they of course come in other mutation as well.

4 Likes

Carpet pythons, Carpondro’s, Green Tree Python. I never see my Peruvian rainbow boa (brb) in the day ever.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Thanks for everyones opinion!! I was first thinking about green tree python, but but haven’t found anything…yet :smile:

But I will let you know what we got when we find something.

We were having a good discussion with my husband and he fell in those rat snakes… So maybe I have to change my plans a little bit to get 1 of them to him :smile:

@harrytb and those GTPs are gorgeous!! :heart_eyes: Does that yellow stay yellow or is it going to change to green when older?

2 Likes

The 2 yellow ones curled up are Carpondro’s, GTPx carpet pythons, mother is a 50/50 Carpondro and the dad is an albino carpet pythons, so these are classed as 25% Carpondro’s, they are about 16 months old and will stay these colours, these were them as babies

5 Likes

Well I have two hybrid cats… maybe I need couple of snakes too :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

2 Likes

People have brought up GTPs as good. I will caveat that with a small disagreement. GTPs are great display snakes because the will sit out on their perch all day, but they are highly crepuscular so you will not really see much activity from them until the lights go out.

Carpets have been mentioned but I will throw a specific vote in for bredli because they are seriously bombproof and they do not get a lot of love

Womas and blackheads are both fairly day active

For colubrids, rhino rats would be a decent candidate as would Vietnamese blue beauty.

1 Like

Umm brbs typically hid daytime as well. If you want a snake to display. Aim for anything aboreal as 1st pick and 2nd semi-aboreal. Them tree huggers stay generally coiled around a branch tempting girls with apples while other seek secure, satanic dark hides for their daytime rituals

4 Likes

I really want one down the road I think they’re gorgeous

Im with ya. Was my 1st snakey and am sold on her being the most beautiful ‘normal’ snake. Now i have 2 red tail boas, brb, 2 gtp, junglecarpet and 7 bp. Something i have learned in time is. Each and every individual have their own unique personality. Back to the topic, just dive into the more tree loving snakes. I believe their more enjoyable handling but when their babys especially brb have to be pampered with 100% humidity and nip anything but with proper care they tame down and become resilient. Tree pythons as lil ones are like ribbons and have to be extremely careful with thier spines and be extra vigilant removing shed stuck at the very tip of their tail. Its very skinny which multiple sheds can build effectivly killing the tip. They use their tiny wiggly tails as to imitate insects which brings dinner to them like a g

2 Likes

I came across corallus horantulus… small but gorgeous :heart_eyes: I don’t know do much about them, except they like climbing and are the most easiest to handle…what do u say :thinking::thinking: