Difference in Anerys

What is the difference with the different Anery morphs? I see 4 of them but I can’t really tell the difference. I’m thinking of getting a male to breed with my Hypo Kahl Jungle female. I know I need a specific type but they are almost never labeled as such.

3 Likes

If you look at the morphmedia section it’ll give you a breakdown of each type. I believe type one derived from Boa Imperator. Type II from Central American. BEA visually is different with the eyes being dark/black along with the anerythristic traits. Carbons look more silver to me. I do believe they are all recessive genes and not compatible with one another. So if your goal is to make visual anery, you need to stay within the same type.

There is also a selective bred CV anery in the type 1 strain. Those look awesome.

Whats your goal with the pairing?

4 Likes

Here is the page that will give you the breakdown on each. I guess carbon has black eyes as well, pretty cool.

3 Likes

If you look at the combos of Anery T1 there is a picture of Willow lol :joy:. Just a small plug :crazy_face:.

4 Likes

I believe there was an Anery type 1, blank eye Anery for sale on MM before.

Here you go. It is a double visual anery.

3 Likes

Thank you guys. I’ve read the morph descriptions a few times but maybe I’m inept with this, I can’t see much of a difference. I am really shooting to get rid of the yellow, I love the look of the white/grays with black eyes. Thinking a carbon. Then I’d have to find another female for the next breed to bring out the traits correct?

3 Likes

It might be a long project but yes that’d be the start. Breed your sunglow to a carbon and get double het for kahl/carbon - in the form of normals and hypos with jungles popping up between those two.

That’s where it might get long to get a homozygous kahl and carbon. If you search in the carbon section no one is putting that carbon trait to kahl right now (atleast not for sale). That could be a good thing as those “normals and hypos” could be worth money or a trade to fund your project.

Not sure it’s the best route (I’m still just in the research stage of breeding) but I’d imagine some would breed a double het male back to mom once it’s roughly 18+ months old. Raise a double het female during that time from the same litter. Once that DH female was 4-5 years old you could breed a male from the line bred pairing (only 50% het carbon though)back to the DH female to get visuals.

Hopefully someone experienced can confirm that for you. Whether that’d be the right way to go about it.

3 Likes

Edit: this was meant to be a reaction to you, @smite

Carbon isn’t really accessable considering the availability and especially the cost. Besides, most people agree that carbon is just a phenotypic line of RDR BEA. Kenny got his Carbon project out of a VPI Aztec line from Jeff Ronne, which was het for RDR BEA. That in combination with 1) the fact that carbon and RDR seem compatible and 2) there are RDR’s born with the same silver appearance like carbons have; leads most people to conclude that they are the same gene.

Most people who have a hard time accepting the above mentioned points are people who bought in to carbon project for $10k per animal. I can see why. That must be is a pretty hard pill to swallow…

So, I would just go for RDR BEA. Especially when the goal is just reducing yellow. RDR seems to be just as capable as the carbon line to do that, but just for a fraction of the cost.

5 Likes

One more thing to consider is the size of the animals that you want to create. Type 1 is a Colombian lineage gene. All others are central American forms of Anery, so they will tend to be smaller than the type 1 animals.
The more Colombian genetics, the bigger the animals (grossly simplified).

Besides creating animals without any or almost no yellow is also possible with type 1. From what I heard it is important to select a type 1 that is super dark. The darker the anery, the whiter the snow or moonglow.
Quality is key here.

But still if you don’t want to take any risk any yellow at all; I would go the RDR BEA route.

One thing to keep in mind with RDR is that you will also loose almost all pattern if you breed to a T- albino (which your Kahl is). Breeding to a T+ like VPI will hold pattern in combination with a RDR (called specter) but that would mean you create a whole new project and need two new snakes…

Do you just want an all white snake? Because if that is your goal, you also could go the fire route. You can create beautiful animals with a single copy of the gene as it is incomplete dominant and you can create all white animals in the super form.

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification and background on the Carbon/RDR type anery. Much appreciated

3 Likes

No worries :grin::v:t3:

2 Likes

Thank you for the incredible response and a lot to consider. I’m loving digging deeper into this it’s always been something I’ve wanted to do.

3 Likes

No worries, bro! If you are new in the world of boa morphs I highly recommend checking out the podcast Boa Rack Radio. It is only one season and consists of 20 episodes. You can find it on Spotify. Season 2 is dropping soon too. Can’t wait for that!

Also Dave Palumbo of muscle serpents university on YouTube is the creator with the most content about boa morphs.

4 Likes

This is great information, thank you!

3 Likes

Thanks again that content looks great, I’ll be finishing it all! I’ve been looking at everything you said and reading up on the different combinations, especially the different albino morphs. I’m leaning towards the type 1 for the pattern and to keep the size bigger. I don’t really want it to be completely white but I love the blacks and grey with white.

3 Likes

wrong on so many levels. lol. boaffliction.com for the full details.

Can you please elaborate, Kenny? What points I made aren’t correct? I’ve read your website, but still can’t see why carbon is different from rdr bea. Maybe I am just stupid haha

6 Likes

Perhaps a little more info would be helpful. Condemnation and silence isn’t going to help. The link you provided wasn’t particularly helpful. In fact, the history of the Carbon gene as you have written it practically spells out that Carbon and RDR are the same gene. That is certainly how it reads from the pairings you describe and the animals used in said pairings.

6 Likes

I for one appreciate all your information and explanations you give. You’re not stupid at all my friend and contribute loads of useful information for all of us here👍

4 Likes

Appreciate your kind words!

2 Likes