DNA question

I’ve heard of one of the ball python groups working on that. Did not know there were two groups and I definitely didn’t know they were accepting other species’ sheds! I would love to send some in. Can you link their website or contact info?

2 Likes

Rare Genetics Inc. (the group that has the sexing from sheds) is the second group working toward identification of ball morphs. He is also accepting sheds, instructions on how to send them in are on his website

(Potential for adult language in both of these so be cautioned)

4 Likes

Cool, thanks!

2 Likes

Thank you @t_h_wyman, I thought I’d heard of Rare Genetics doing something like that, but couldn’t remember where. I’ve been using their DNA sexing, so I’ll definitely start sending in more sheds if they’ll take them.

2 Likes

Anyone know what the cost involved in DNA testing is? I would love to know the genetics of this female. When i purchased the pair i was told they had just purchased the pair from an individual the day before and that person had bred them for the last 2 years but they didn’t know what morphs they had. Both are around 4 or 5 years old.

2 Likes

The cost of actual sequencing is not terrible, in research terms. Probably looking at a few thousand. Bigger matter is the bioinformatic tools and processing power involved in decoding, interpreting, and understanding the different data sets

More information on these ideas can be found here:

And here:

And here:

And here:

5 Likes

I really do hope we get to a point where we can test DNA for hets, that’ll be extremely useful. Also downright cool. Thanks, @t_h_wyman !

@dugglc1, if you’ve got Snows in the clutch, your female is Het Amel and both parents are het for Anery. Odds are your dark babies are Aneries rather than Charcoal. Can’t say for certain, but it’s much more likely . If you want to post pics of everybody we can have a look and maybe some ideas.

3 Likes

They are all stacked up in their tubs right now but Sunday is feeding day so i will try to get some decent pics of the ones that i’m not sure of and post them Sunday evening.

2 Likes

Picture day didn’t go good lol. Everybody in question is in shed except for one. This is one i think is snow. Not a good pic but she just wasn’t having it.

2 Likes

That looks more like a Blizzard to me, but you’ll have to wait for someone with more experience to confirm. A snow usually has a rather prominent pattern, this one blends in much more which leads me to think Blizzard, in which case your darker hatchlings would indeed be Charcoals.

2 Likes

There are 3 that i think are charcoal, but all 3 are in shed today so i didn’t bother trying to get pictures. I did have 2 like this one but i have to go get tubs with latches because i have already lost 6 babies due to them squeezing between the tub edge and lid and popping the lid loose. On my way to go find some now.

2 Likes

That baby does look more like Amel+Charcoal than Snow, meaning Amel and Charcoal.

Dang, I’m really sorry you’ve lost so many babies!! I hope you’re able to find them.

2 Likes

No luck finding the babies. I lost one of my breeders due to my kid leaving the door open a few weeks ago but knowing what a pig she is i put her enclosure in the floor overnight with two mice inside and left the front open just enough for her to get in. When i woke up there she was too fat to crawl back through the small gap i left in the door. Haven’t seen any trace of the babies and i tried the same thing with them.

1 Like

I am glad you got your adult escapee back. I hate to say it but those babies are going to require a search and rescue effort if you hope to see them again. If they’re currently in blue or recently shed, they’re not likely to feel a lot of pressure from hunger at this point. They’re more likely to seek security/ safety. In their little snakey minds, that likely means somewhere quiet, snug, and dark. You’ve already discovered that, unfortunately, it doesn’t take much of a gap to be big enough for a baby corn snake to squeeze though. Unless you have airlocks, they can go right under any interior doors.

Your best bet for seeing somebody is to check along baseboards with a flashlight after dark once the house is quiet. They usually travel along walls rather than venturing across the open space in a room. They may be attracted to water, which they’ll need anyway. You can try putting some out along with a hide or three. I’d you have cats or dogs, keep an eye on them as they may well point you to the escapees.

Wishing you luck.

1 Like

Ok i got some pictures this week. Hopefully they came out good with the yellow light in the snake room.

Those are what i believe to be normal albinos

These 2 either snow or blizzard.

These 3 i suspect to be charcoal.

2 Likes

All of these are from what was supposed to be an albino male and a normal female.

2 Likes

Pretty sure your snows are Blizzards and you were correct in your Charcoal IDs, beautiful little ones!

2 Likes

I’m no expert by any means but the albinos seem to have something besides just albino going on with them. The red is pretty intense and the patterns have something else going on too.

2 Likes

I see normal Amels, Blizzards and Charcoals. All very pretty babies! I don’t see any pattern variations outside the usual differences of individual variation. The Amels’ red is bright but doesn’t seem unusually so in this light. Try getting pics in natural, indirect light. Outdoors or by a window in an overcast day is perfect.

It’s not at all surprising that your female was het Amel since that trait is really, really widely distributed. It’s more surpassing that both parents happened to be het Charcoal, which is much less common. What a fun surprise! Congrats again.

2 Likes

I had the luckiest day ever today. I live in central Florida so was out in the back yard this evening picking stuff up getting ready for the storm tonight and was walking along when i spotted my blizzard baby that got out of her tub over a month ago. I picked her up and i think she was happy to see me because she was a little cold and looks like she may have found a little bit to eat out on her own, but not very much. She curled right up in my hand and enjoyed herself a little body heat on the way back to her tub that now has a locking lid lol. Tomorrow she will enjoy a freshly warmed up pinky that i bet she will eat like it’s the best meal she ever had.

6 Likes