Encouraging more Photography competition entries

Ok maybe not that then… urrrm I don’t know how else then?

Personally I’d rather keep the best in it. I like their photos for inspiration and goals. At the end of the day any photos I post of my family are just for fun. I’ve never won any of the contests here and I’m cool with that. I’m not a photographer and my creativity levels are mediocre at best. But if I were serious bout it Id wanna beat the best personally.

4 Likes

I’m game for that if y’all will post more of your astronomy stuff cause that s*** is amazing

3 Likes

My SO has said the female herpers group on FB does something like this where the winner picks a theme for the next month, might be interesting. We just got a macro lense yesterday so I’m excited to try some photography/videography myself

1 Like

THANKYOU!!
It’s been such a ballache learning how to do it. Apart from the fact I still get jitters in the dark…it’s not something you can practice all the time. The stoopid moon and weather effects it. As do the times the stars rise. I enjoy the end results but takes HOURS to combine it all and make the shots!! I get excited but it’s COLD work doin it too.

2 Likes

What about a points system? Could that work?
IDK count towards photo of the year?

1 Like

@welshmorphology please don’t take your photos down. while I understand the objective of this, your photography should still be shared. This site was created to bring us all together and share our beautiful creatures of all shapes and sizes. We should all aspire to be better for our community and our animals. Nad I’ve learned so much from alot of you. And I continue to see what all you have all produced. I’m intimidated by the competitive aspects as well but I also used to be intimidated by snakes. Now I want to breed them and fill my home with them. I’ve started taking pictures more and more i will start sharing them as well. It’s the best therapy I’ve found. I have pretty severe anger/anxiety issues. My reptiles keep me balanced. Seeing all of everyone else’s reptiles keeps me balanced. Please continue to share. No one is any better than anyone else. Just because my pics aren’t as good doesn’t mean I shouldn’t share them right? Or just because they might be too good doesn’t mean I shouldn’t share them. We are all here to see these magnificent creatures.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Photos of The Month Submission Thread - May 2021

Its disappointing that debate has been crushed and also diverted to other topics.
If I didn’t have a point, and others did not feel the same, there would be no likes of my first post.
Please continue to like the first post if you agree and are worried to offend if you post your opinion,
As I am now. Despite posting considerately, respectfully and kindly

The debate wasn’t crushed and diverted, it was proven unnecessary.

Your original points were:

We have a few threads already…
What’s your “photography” set up?photography

As I said, excluding people for success isn’t the way to go.

These contests already take up quite a bit of time, this would only double the work for the same output.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for hearing ideas for changes and improvements on any level… but the suggestion of dividing the community for the sake of a light hearted contest isn’t getting my vote.

8 Likes

That’s what worries me, if a simple innocent suggestion/comment can divide this community to such a degree that - some people got really upset, others withdrew their pictures and the thread had to be closed for a cool off/staff discussion.

1 Like

The suggestion was fine, however some of the comments following it were slightly offending. We decided that it wasn’t necessary because of the variety of winners (with the exception of aiotm but there are more entries).

1 Like

Ok I am willing to learn, I thought i had been kind and respectful. I made many comments. Which one was offensive?

It had a good intent but depending on the interpretation it was hinted that the skilled photographers should be separated away from everyone else. Essentially it was hinted that they were “too good”, which implies that being skilled is a bad thing. We also determined that picture quality isn’t the main factor in the competitions. Lumpy also explains this well.

2 Likes

Firstly I was complimenting the skills of some of the members here.
I wasn’t suggesting winners be penalised or separated off.
Giving the winner a special title for the month is an accolade, prize and recognition, and taking the next month off out of the next 11 months is hardly a punishment balanced with the recognition of the title by their name they would have for that month off.

As for lumpies comment, I did not hate. And when you win you get a prize, accolade, recognition is good for confidence.
edit: Like I said to lumpy If you see me hate post flag the post.

To most people it isn’t about winning or recognition. It’s about entering and having fun. You intended it as a compliment but some might have taken it as being seperated which takes the fun and enjoyment away.
We came to a conclusion and I think we’re done here.

4 Likes

I think the data here is pretty clear :woman_shrugging:t3:

However, I don’t think that the discussion was a total loss - we learned just how important some members of this community are and how much they can enrich our days with something as simple as a photo. I’m personally feeling inspired to try to take some photos of my collection this week.

7 Likes

OK. I have been told that twice now. I get it. I will post no more in here.
I still think you have provided no evidence of my offending or hate posts.

It’s about the interpretation. You meant it as a compliment but someone took it as discrimination.

1 Like