Female or Male Western Hognose?

Hi everyone,

I purchased an axanthic hognose a couple months ago, she was labeled as a female. I always noticed her tail was a little longer than most females but didnt think much of it. Now that she has a grown a bit her tail seems long without any immediate tapering. Please help me figure out if shes a male or female thank you!

3 Likes

Looks female to me. I have an axanthic girl that was the same way. I honestly couldn’t tell when she was smaller. But she just kept growing and growing. At some point I was just like yea… She’s definitely a girl.

2 Likes

Looks female to me! Here’s a good image to go off of:

Reference by @stewart_reptiles

2 Likes

Yay thank you both!:))

1 Like

Definitely with you on this one! 100% a female hoggy!

1 Like

Can we see a full body picture just for fun? I love hoggies. :heart:

1 Like

Of course! Her name is Sorbet.

My other hognose Gelato

My first snake Sherbert who recently escaped his enclosure and is now missing://

6 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about Sherbert. Your little noodles are too cute!

3 Likes

They all look amazing! As far as Sherbert escaping, think like a snake. Look in a range of 10 feet from the tank and look at walls, boxes, and cramped/small spaces.
You should be able to find some tips in these threads (not sure if it would work but you could try putting a shallow box of bedding down with an entrance).

4 Likes

Thank you!((:

3 Likes

Thank you for the help! I live in a studio me and my boyfriend turned the house upside down and he was no where in sight. He was the friendliest hognose would beg to come out of his enclosure when he would see me walk by or hear me. Im super sad about It. I still have hope that I will find him.

4 Likes

Well, good luck in finding him. Don’t lose hope as snakes can show up months later.

3 Likes

Looks female to me I don’t have a pic of a female but here is a male next to a AA for reference

1 Like

I’ve had a lot of small snakes exscpe my advice it look where you least expect if you think it’s too small you should look there first I’ve so far only had one I never found but I think he may have been stolen but that’s another story

2 Likes