I WAS having a good day

So it was a pretty good day. I built a new stand for my rosy boa tanks that made more room and moved them to a different outlet. Then I probed my jungle carpet (the bitey one) and, just like I was hoping it is female (Yay!) then it was time for thorough cleaning, which means every animal come out of the cage. All was going well until I got to Walker,Texas longnose. He managed to escape from the cage I guess. Last time I saw him was Friday when he ate 2 fuzzy mice. The cage top was closed and the locking pin was in. He is really small but he was fat with 2 fuzzies in him and the top fits tight. Looked for several hours but no sign, he could have as much as a 4 day head start and he would have been alone for some of that time with my wife’s little rat dog. :frowning_face: the pic will tell some of the story. I have never lost an animal before but I have never had one gone for days before I started looking either, I do not hold out much hope of finding him which really sucks!

2 Likes

Hopefully he turns up, best of luck

1 Like

I think I am going to make a little box trap with a one-way door and put a fuzzy or 2 in it. maybe I can get him that way. he is small and fast and I am sure he hears me coming if he is anywhere near where I am looking.He just ate really good though so it may be a while before he is hungry and hunting. I just hope the dog doesn’t find him first!

2 Likes

OK here is the snake trap. The door is weighted with 85 cents in coins and closes pretty tight. I am going to put some fuzzies in there and tape the top shut and just see what happens. Any opinions or suggestions to improve the design are appreciated.

2 Likes

Seems like you are doing everything correctly so you should find him. But do not give up hope if you do not find him for a few days or weeks because I lost one of my female bps for 4 months and she turned up in the least likely of places while I was cleaning. Found her on the rod in the closet that held up all my shirts and such. Best of luck agian to you!

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement. I have found snakes in weird places too but never more than a few hours of looking. 4 months is a long time!

2 Likes

Let’s do a breakdown of your house.

What hot spots do you have in the room his enclosure stayed in?

Any other reptiles heat mats? Check behind every tub in every rack and every tank.

Do you have a TV in there? A games console? Freezer, pretty much anything electrical will cause heat. These will be your best places to look on cold days/nights.

Check your kitchen thoroughly. Cookers can keep slightly warm underneath for days after being used.

Here is a video of a really cool and simple snake trap (this one is done outside, but I’m sure you can come up with some improvisation) …

Hopefully you find him and can post pictures of the naughty little sausage back in his home :blush::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Thanks. I tore the room apart but if we assume he has a couple days head start he could be anywhere I have looked in every warm spot I can think of too. I am hoping he is actually still in the reptile room as the rest of the house is colder. I know they have no external ears, but but I am sure he “heard” me coming as I shifted things around to look for him. I will get bait for the trap after work today.

1 Like

Looks like I forgot the pics

2 Likes

Good luck :crossed_fingers:
It’s time to start thinking like a snake :joy::snake:

2 Likes

Yeah 4 months is a very long time. Thankfully she did not lose too much weight and was just extremely thirsty but recovered perfectly fine in less than 2 weeks. Hopefully you find your boy much sooner

HE IS BACK! I wish I could say it was the brilliant trap. but he was just cruising across the floor. we have been keeping it darkish so he would feel safer and looking everywhere we go. wife spotted him on her way to the bathroom and I was able to snatch him up. SOOOO HAAAPPY!

10 Likes

:tada::tada::tada::tada:

:+1: That’s the ending we needed right now.

2 Likes

YAY!!! So happy you found him!

1 Like

He’s expierenced now,. They’re the best kind.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. It is nice to know others care. Part of what makes this site great! I think he just came back cuz he was hungry, little guy wolfed down 2 fuzzies within 5 minutes of being back in the cage

5 Likes

I’m so glad to hear Walker found his way back to you! These stories all to often seem to end in a less positive fashion. Did you ever find out where he managed to escape from? Also sounds like someone has a good boy mouse in order!

2 Likes

Didn’t figure out how he got out but I put him in a different cage. He ate two chassis but I am not sure I would call him good boy!

2 Likes

Fuzzies, don’t know how "chassis got in there. Lack of computer skills is showing!