Loose snake any ideas

Well kevin my pastel clown male got out of his enclosure while in my brothers care since I’m on vacation I just hope he finds him hes not an adult and I live in ny so it gets cold in my house

2 Likes

The fact that it gets cold can be used as a advantage here. It likely gets even colder outdoors and eaves less reason to wander far.

Make a checklist of places that get warm in your house. TV, consoles, stereos, lamps, cooker, fridge, freezer, shoes, piles of clothes… Anywhere slightly warmer than the floor.

1 Like

Also from what @eaglereptiles said have him check if there is a space between like the tile or hardwood floor and your stove possibly. Because that would be both warm and dark.

2 Likes

I’m just afraid because I also have 3 dogs that aren’t exactly snake friendly

1 Like

Make sure no one turns the oven on until you’ve located the snake.

Leave it’s water dish out with fresh water. More than once I’ve caught a loose snake while it’s drinking. Look for it in the middle of the night that’s when it will be out moving around.

3 Likes

I know some good tricks are using flour around where the snake would pass through(around walls, doorways, etc.) but keep in mind that the flour can sometimes be hard to clean up. Also leaving out rodents and seeing if the snake eats it in the night(not sure how this would work with dogs) and if the resource is available trail cams that detect movement set to the highest sensitivity(as long as it is in an area where nothing else will set it off).

3 Likes
  • Check bathrooms/toilets, they frequently head for water.
  • Look up as well as down, lamps and light fixtures and such can be sources of heat
  • Leave 30cm lengths of Scotch tape parallel right against the baseboards. Scotch tape is just sticky enough to stick to them but not sticky enough to cause harm and it is easy to remove with a little bit of olive oil. DO NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN SCOTCH TAPE!!
4 Likes

Thank you everyone for the advice I will be sure to let my brother know because I’m still on vacation

2 Likes

We recently lost our ball. We have a room dedicated to our herps and we keep it closed up tight. I don’t know what your situation is, but we placed flour along the walls, primarily in the corners. I rigged up one of his heat lamps and his favorite hide on the floor with a thawed mouse on top. I was hoping he would seek the warmth, find the mouse, and curl up in his hide. He got the mouse and avoided every flour trap we set. But I was able to work out how he got to the mouse with out disturbing the flour. We found him in a tote that we keep his fresh substrate in. We used the flour as a process of elimination tool. The flour was not terribly difficult to clean up but we have vinyl flooring. We are also in NY so we were concerned about the temperature. He was gone for less than 12 hours. I know how terrible you feel right now. I was inconsolable while my boy was MIA. Best of luck bud.

1 Like