‘Field’ Arachnid-ing(?)

Someone had babies :heart:

1 Like

Ya can always send em my way :upside_down_face: i love all spiders. I have found that few other girls hold my same interest in spiders heck even most guys but spiders are amazing :heart:

That wolf spider was in the driveway. She paused just long enough for a picture. Then she was off. Looked like she had been injured at some point due to missing a limb but other than that was in good shape.

1 Like

Im glad you have so many species around your home to enjoy and photograph i very rarely see spiders where i live. The exterminators here kill everything including bees i always feel bad that they seem to do more harm than good. Honestly i don’t think an exterminator needs any experience and they seem to not understand that these poison kill everything and any thing that eats them and the toxins build up in larger species. When i first moved to California in the 70s it was still rural-ish where i lived now its all fancy homes.

4 Likes

False widow spider looks exactly like your one pictured which is brown. I have lots of black widow spiders and they are all black as can be except my slings.

3 Likes

I understand what you are saying. It was darker and blacker than pictured. The sun and ground around it made it look brown. It had a perfect red hour glass on the belly when I moved it. Some around my home are jet black and some are not as black but still black. I have never found a false widow around my home. Not saying they do not exist around me but I have not seen one.

3 Likes

When i lived in Arizona they were all over the place. Id catch them in my house ( probably trying to escape the heat). They typically are a nocturnal species and hide most of the time. They rarely are out in the open ( unless they got disturbed or on the move to find a new location) they are amazing ambush predators.

I know some people see them as threats but they really aren’t that scary. Most people bitten get dry bites and the few envenomations are recoverable very few people have died from a black widow bite ( like in the single digits) i think they are smart spiders and can be quite enjoyable to watch in their enclosures at night. Their appetites are voracious.

I love spiders :spider: :heart:

3 Likes

New guy at work. I think he’s an I.T. guy. His names Gregory

9 Likes

Hi Gregory! Make sure they show you where to find the coffee machine and the bathrooms, hehe.

3 Likes

lovin that lyssomanes shot

2 Likes

Not so much field arachnid-ing, but I found what looks to be a baby bold jumper in my bathroom earlier today. It was like the size of a gnat.

6 Likes

Spent a little time looking for scorpions this weekend in the Great Basin in Northern Nevada. Should have taken better photos. The two large ones are Black Desert Hairy Scorpions (Hadrurus spadix) the smaller ones are bark scorpions. We saw hundreds of them in just a couple hours of looking. Easy to spot but it was a lot of fun.

8 Likes

The desert hairy scorpions looks as if they are about to do their courtship dance.

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure what they were up to. We observed them for a long time and they didn’t fight so that makes sense. I was surprised to learn how readily they eat bark scorpions or smaller deserts though. It was very interesting to get a small window into their world.

4 Likes

If you use red lighting you can observe them without disturbing them. Scorpions don’t really like black light but its such a handy tool for going out at night, especially if doing “real” camping . My scorpions literally hate the black light and run really fast to hide from it. I turn on my red lights and they really aren’t bothered.

3 Likes

I lived in Maricopa Arizona and use to go out at night to watch the animals come out. I swear AZ. Had 2 temperatures hot and hotter :joy: :woman_facepalming:.

2 Likes

Love seeing these guys when out and about!

7 Likes

Good to know. I could tell they weren’t huge on the light. Be nice to spot them and then be able to observe without disturbing them.

1 Like

Beautiful orb weaver :heart:

1 Like

I believe that scorpions cannot see IR either so you may be able to observe them with NV ( this i haven’t tested ) the red light i know for a fact doesn’t bother them since they cannot see red spectrum.

1 Like