‘Field’ Arachnid-ing(?)

Went spider-hunting with a couple of the guys at work. One is actually pretty into spiders, so we had fun. We found LOTS of false widows.

Large female who made her web against the door to a utility closet that’s rarely opened. There was a smaller female who had made her web a few inches above this big girl, though the smaller female ran and hid in the crack of the door when I got close. It was interesting, a bunch of small daddy long legs (I counted 6 total) seemed to be sharing the webs of both females.

Handsome male underneath a big canvass umbrella (picture is out of focus because I was trying to take it almost upside down).

Decent-sized female on the same umbrella, a couple feet from the male. (There were also two juveniles under the umbrella, but they weren’t out on display as much, so I didn’t photograph them.)

Huge female (biggest one we found) out in the garden.

4 Likes

It would be neat to observe them. They’re behavior is really interesting even if it mostly is just them fighting, mating, or eating each other :joy:

1 Like

If i was able bodied id definitely be out in the fields and woods. Imma wood girl stuck being in the hood. If circumstances was different id definitely be a rural gal.

1 Like

Beautiful :spider: :spider_web: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart: spidersare so amazing and they really help control insects. I wish more people saw the beauty in all animals, not just the cute fuzzy ones. I have one rule but its kinda a 2 pronger. People are not allowed to kill spiders in my home or in my presence. It’s kinda of a deal breaker for me, i don’t want friends who kill something for no reason.

1 Like

For some reason there has been a large number of mantises frequenting my porch this summer. I assumed they were the apex predator on my humble porch (apart from the feral cats), but to my surprise I was proven wrong. This spider managed quite the trophy and more than enough food. I’m not sure of this species and close up photos aren’t the easiest due to the positioning of the web, but this occurred in central Oklahoma if that helps anyone.

4 Likes

Wow, that is one brave, ambitious spider! That mantis is huge by comparison, and it’s not like mantises are defenseless. I don’t recognise the spider’s species, but I’m very impressed with her audacity!

3 Likes

Yeah, I never kill spiders I find in my house (or anywhere else). Mostly I just leave them be. Only time I even bother to move them is if they’re somewhere that’s not safe for them, like in the sink or shower (the other day I didn’t see a spider in my shower until it was already headed down the drain, I felt so bad :cry:). Or if it’s a false widow, I’ll catch it and put it outside, because their venom is potent enough to pose a potential danger to my pets.

People at work know not to kill spiders around me. Fortunately most of my coworkers are so afraid of spiders that they don’t even want to get close enough to kill them, so they’re more than happy to let me swoop in and relocate them instead.

2 Likes

Found some super cool stuff on a nature walk with the guys at work this morning.

Big beautiful orb weaver:

Stick insect (not an arachnid, but still cool):

Green lynx spider (with an egg sac):

5 Likes

I went to check on my green lynx spider friend this morning, she was still there with her egg sac, and the lighting on her was beautiful. Got a few more nice shots of her. :heart:

6 Likes

The green lynx spider’s egg sac hatched! I went to check on her yesterday morning, and at first I didn’t see her, but I noticed the egg sac looked kinda deflated. When I looked closer, I saw a bunch of little baby lynx spiders on and around the egg sac! I did eventually find mom nearby too.

Sadly, the lighting was bad, and the position of the spiderlings was such that I couldn’t get any pictures…which is a bummer, because they’ll probably have all dispersed by Monday when I’m back at work. :frowning: But at least our garden now has a bunch of new lynx spiders!

3 Likes

Turns out the baby lynx spiders have not dispersed yet! The few I saw on Friday must have been the early-emerging over-achievers, because I went to check on them just now and found a writhing ball of tiny spiderlings!! No sign of mom, but she’s so well camouflaged against that green plant that I could be looking right at her and still not see her. I only found her the first time because she happened to move.

This has been such a cool experience for me. I’ve always loved green lynx spiders, but finding Mom a couple weeks back was the first time I’d ever seen one in person. To get to see not just a big female on an egg sac, but also the newly-hatched babies has been so awesome.

7 Likes

I agree, that is super awesome! Super cool find, spiderlings of any kind are just adorable. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

More pics of green lynx spider family from this morning!

Here’s Mom:

The kids:

And a less-than-steller picture of the whole family (you can see how camouflaged she is, even sitting out in the open):

Mom is still quite defensive. She gave me a little threat pose when I got my hand a little too close, trying to point her out to the group of clients who were with me.

4 Likes

Look who made a second egg sac!

I’m pretty sure it’s the same spider who had the first one. She’s the same size, on the same plant, right near the first one. This egg sac looks smaller than the first one, which would track with it being a second sac from the same female.

4 Likes

Man, that’s super industrious! I definitely would’ve called it a day after one egg sac, haha! :joy:

1 Like

I found this impressive little one on my Philodendron Florida Green. My best guess is that it’s a female Phidippus regius, but everywhere I’m searching says this species isn’t found here in central Oklahoma. The Phidippus species found here in OK is typically the audax. I don’t believe it to be a hitchhiker from the plant either as the plant has been with me indoors for over a year at this point. Can anyone here confirm the species? Quite the quick and uncooperative photo subject!

6 Likes

I don’t know the species, but OMG those pics are wonderful- what an adorable little one!

5 Likes

Here ya go. Found this one next to the front door. Had to use Google image search on it.

Turns out its a Opilio parietinus, a type of harvestman spider.

4 Likes

Very cool! Harvestmen are super cool. And while they are arachnids, they’re not actually spiders. Kinda like how camel “spiders” aren’t spiders, or whip “scorpions” are not scorpions. But they’re all arachnids.

2 Likes

that looks like a phiddipus otiosus female!

3 Likes