Fire skinks or House snake?

so I am debating getting a pair of fire skinks or a house snake for my 36x18x18 enclosure. I would like to hear other people’s input because I am torn between the two. Thanks for the help!

6 Likes

I am also open to other suggestions but right now these are at the top of the list

5 Likes

I am a snake person so I would go for the snake :wink:

6 Likes

How often do you want to feed it? How often do you want to see it? (House Snakes are nocturnal and mine is extremely secretive, but apparently I hear the diurnal skinks are often rather shy too)

7 Likes

I’d go for the fire skinks! If i ever got a skink it would have to be a fire skink cause they’re just so cool looking. I’m also not a huge fan of house snakes. I’m of course not against house snakes lol i would just prefer a different kind of snake i think. Of course it all comes down to personal preference, excited to see what you choose!

5 Likes

LOL, see I’m biased the other way- I adore my tiny noodle. I would advise most house snake owners to get one that’s an established F/T eater, and expect that they might go off that and demand live for a while. Fuliginosus anyway- capensis seems to be voracious, and the lineatus ones I have also heard to be good eaters.

I do wonder what in our husbandry or methods is off getting the brown/black house snake to eat consistently- Or is it just that their instincts demand food with a pulse?

6 Likes

So speaking of house snakes, the first house snake I got was so teeny tiny that I had to try to find day old ft pinks to feed it. It turned out that little guy would eat every day if I let it. It would strike grab and coil like crazy! I ended up giving it to a friend and now the second one I got sheds more than it eats. So not all house snakes are alike! That’s for sure! :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

I am in the same position as @lumpy just more of a snake person. There are some beautiful decent priced morphs of house snakes so I’d go with that.

8 Likes

I feel like the time has come to buy a second enclosure so you can buy both. :wink:

But seriously, I’m in a similar boat when it comes to choosing which species has the greatest priority on my list, it drives me nuts!

10 Likes

Completely agree, I have a list of over 5 colubrids that I’m planning to get (and triple that for ones I want), but I can only pick 1 or 2 now.

I don’t really have any advice for you that hasn’t already been mentioned. It just depends on what kind of pet you’re looking for.

7 Likes

I’m team House Snake. If I was going to suggest to someone the best all around snake to keep, it would probably be a house snake. A well established house snake that is, the babies are persnickety about getting started feeding.

11 Likes

I’m with @lumpy and @banereptiles in that I’m more of a snake person, so I’d go for the house snake. House snakes are awesome, though as mentioned, it’s probably best to get an established juvenile, since they can be rather picky eaters to start out.

That said…fire skinks are also really awesome. They’re so beautiful, I really love the way they look.

I guess one thing to consider might be how much you want to handle the animal in question. House snakes typically handle quite well as I understand it, but I’m less sure about fire skinks. I seem to recall reading that they tended to be nervous and flighty, but I don’t know how true that is.

7 Likes

I have decided to go with a snake! Now time to decide between a corn or house snake🤔

9 Likes

Team snake wins!!!

The Beautiful Game Goal GIF by World Cup

Seriously though tough choice still ahead for ya! House snake are so cool, still a little different and there are some pretty morphs/locals for sure! I wish they were slightly larger though. Corn snakes on the other hand have so many morphs to choose from, it would be hard to pick just one! Good luck let us know!

9 Likes

If you want a good, consistent eater, go with a corn snake. If you go with a house snake you are taking a chance with the consistent eating……. :blush:

6 Likes

Palmetto corn snake!!! I love them so much so my vote is definitely for the corn snake. There are so many different morphs that are all so cool.

5 Likes

Are you a day person or a night owl? Corns are more or less Diurnal. House Snakes prefer the dark.

6 Likes

Yes yes! We did!

Team Snake!

We Are The Champions Win GIF by Queen

@logar

8 Likes

What did I get?

8 Likes

I ended up not getting either :sweat_smile:

7 Likes