First Crested Gecko Baby!

I haven’t tried handling yet, so far I’ve been making sure Lucky doesn’t see me as a threat. I’ve been reading a book in front of the enclosure for an hour every night. I’m going to try handling in the next few days in an area without anywhere to hide/escape and with a plant nearby or some other cover. They’re tiny! It makes me nervous just to open the cage and why I just picked up the incubation tray and put it in the new enclosure instead of moving it by hand.

2 Likes

@ghoulishcresties, when should I start feeding insects? I was planning on getting some small crickets tomorrow and I could use tiny dubias (I have some small enough) except I don’t know when and how much I should feed.

1 Like

oh my god! so cute :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Congratulations, the first eggs are so excited!

3 Likes

Thank you, I’m super excited to see how Lucky grows and how the patterns change.

3 Likes

Use the small size crickets, I’m sure you know the ones! And we start offering about 5 days after hatching. We give them Pangea from the night after hatching and then a a few days later is when we start offering crickets :blush:

1 Like

I’ve had one dish (bottlecap) of Pangea and one for water and I have a leaf and half-toilet paper roll for hides. I’ve kept the sides misted for humidity and most of the top ventilation covered and I have paper towel substrate. Does this sound like it will work? After about how long do you wait until moving them into a bioactive terrarium? I was planning on waiting a few weeks and after the baby seems healthy (moving around, good alertness, taking food well, pooping well, etc.)

1 Like

I was putting hatchlings in bio next day, always have. It’s only recently with having more I haven’t done that I as hace been SONGMIC shoe boxes from amazing. Make amazing homes for babies! But when I figure out how to make bio and keep the insects in I will be doing it with them all!

I wouldn’t use a water bowl. I’d worry about drowning. Should be fine but I’ve never done this as read some horror stories!
Other than that all sounds good for the little one!

Atm I use kitchen towel, leaf litter to hide in, branches and fake plants :blush:

Oh good! He/she looks like a chunky one too :grin:

2 Likes

For water I’d use milk bottle lids, we have plastic shallow lids.

I have made my one songmic box bioactive. I bought pipe insulation, cut it to size in width, then cut it in quarter and put at the front and back, I was going to fill the back bottom holes but I forgot however no known escapees as of yet - I use springtails. I even put a little plant in - my experiment.

2 Likes

I got everything set up for handling and then decided not to because it looked like the baby was going into shed. It might have just been fired down because of the low humidity but the skin looked wrinkly in a shed-like way and I don’t want to bother Lucky too much. Once I increased the humidity the color looked better so it might have just been fired down. So instead I got some more pictures.

It looks like Lucky will turn out being a tricolor/harlequin dalmation.

5 Likes

Typical Crestie. I’m not sure I would worry about handling until after first shed. I’d rather wait to know it’s shed okay (I’m a very nervous person).

I’m not good with ID for baby cresties, mainly because I haven’t had practice… Yet!

The light spots on the side might be portholes, it’s hard for me to tell but if they are portholes then it’s not a tricolour as of yet. If not portholes, then yes tricolour!

Will be exciting to see how lucky looks after its shed and as it grows :grin: I’ve seen some amazing progress photos and how much they can change.

Lucky is so cute

2 Likes

Yeah they’re portholes. But some colouration near bottom also. Will just need to wait, I can tell right away with mine but I have them in person when they hatch :sweat_smile:
But then again looks reddish. So I wouldn’t say for sure who’s mum yet! As of no tri then unnamed may not be mum. Not all babies will be tri and you’ll get some kinder surprises also!
Only way to know for sure is split females up. Once laid and hatch you get a good idea of what their babies will look like :blush:

3 Likes

I think Lucky already shed in the egg container. I didn’t notice it immediately and what I’ve been using to tell if it shed or not is the piece of vermiculite on the neck/upper back.

1 Like

Sometimes you won’t even notice as they eat it off quick!
Didn’t realise 2 of mine had shed yesterday until I saw a bit on their toe/leg :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I think I’ve seen Kaneki shed 2/3 times in since I got
him at 4 grams. He was 4 in April :sweat_smile:

1 Like

How long is it usually until their second shed? It’s been 4 days since Lucky came out of the egg box and I think already shed in there since it hasn’t shed since (the vermiculite is still there).

Can depend, some of mine will have second shed a week or so after. But I’ve had a few recently who are growing quite quick that have shed 3 days after the first, then will go a couple weeks.
Just depend on your little one, you may not catch it which is good since no stuck shed! As long as you notice he/she is growing and gaining weight then I wouldn’t worry unless stuck shed, then just extra misting! :blush:

3 Likes

Lucky shed for the second time. :grin: I fed a few small dubias today (with some carrot in the corner to avoid harm to Lucky). There seems to be a lighter orange hue now, I’m curious to see how the pattern develops.

3 Likes

Brilliant!
How’s handling going? Any more pics yet? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Uhhh… get back to me on that. :joy: :rofl: :joy:
I’ll get some more pictures tomorrow.

5 Likes

Glad lucky is eating well. I’m curious, what was the carrot for?

2 Likes