First Crested Gecko Baby!

@foxreptile I assume that Riley was try to stop any possible dubia bites

4 Likes

I never thought of that, but then I put my dubias in a food bowl so they can’t escape.

2 Likes

@lumpy was right. It was to prevent dubia bites. I’ve never heard of any but I’d rather play it safe.

3 Likes

Here’s a picture:

4 Likes

Such a lil cutie :heart_eyes: I can’t wait till I get some baby cresties!

3 Likes

That lil baby makes me wanna compulsively buy 20 geckos. So cute :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I agree, I say no more but then I see pics of Cresties and I can’t help myself… Although I will run out of room at some point :thinking: hmmm how to get more Crestie space :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Kick the other half and kids out :joy:

3 Likes

It’s the toys that takes up so much space!! Maybe I can sneak away a few toys (lots) and replace them with another rack, I’m sure they won’t notice :innocent:

5 Likes

Lucky does seem to have a reddish color and the lower amount of spots and red belly pattern makes me question the parents. I guess we’ll find out how the colors change with age.
@ghoulishcresties @foxreptile , do you have any tips for bioactive. I want to try a bioactive enclosure to keep humidity high and to make cleaning poop easier (right now I don’t want to handle too much, at least until I figure out handling, so moving Lucky each time I clean isn’t ideal). Is there a risk that Lucky would eat any pieces of substrate or hunt springtails (I’ll put insects in a ceramic escape-proof dish)? I think I have a silverfish problem in my main crestie terrarium but since I keep them far away it should be fine. I have 2 enclosures that I’m deciding between for a bioactive setup. A taller one and a critter keeper. They have about the same volume and I’ll add cross ventilation. Which one do you think will work better for a bioactive setup?

1 Like

Both should work fine, but ask yourself which is easier to access food etc. The cricket keeper might dry out more as it has more ventilation.

I have put Cresties as low as 3 grams into bioactive enclosures with no problem. Do you know Lucky’s weight?
Leaf litter will help hide the clean up crew and don’t offer food on the floor. I also tong feed babies so they don’t hunt on the ground.

I will add a link below for my website, the reptile care page has everything that I have done

FoxReptiles

2 Likes

I want to add, I’m trialling some small enclosures without the hydroballs as there just isn’t enough room. Plant growth will be slower as a result, but that’s the idea… I’ve had one set up for approx 6 months now and plants are doing okay, so are the springtails.

2 Likes

Lucky had spurs and I was able to determine sex. Lucky is a… Boy

1 Like

Do you mean pores?
All cresties have Spurs :blush:

2 Likes

I could see a visible bulge.

So he’s a little he! :laughing:

1 Like

Sounds like a boy, are you sure it’s a bulge and not just toilet time?

Males would have pores from a young age but bulge doesn’t usually show till 4 months plus. I had a male hold in his bulge till 1 and half years old

Average bulge for mine has been visible from 7 months plus.

And agree, every Crestie has spurs.

How to sex a crested gecko

1 Like

Our male here that the other half brought had a bulge from 5/6g.
Well endowed little man😂

1 Like

Can we have more pics of him! @erie-herps :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
And how’s handling going? :thinking:

1 Like

I’ll get some pictures later. I still haven’t tried handling yet but I’ll try sometime.

1 Like