How to tell the sex of a Crested Gecko

A few people have asked about how to tell the sex of a crested gecko, so I thought I’d make this thread. Hope it helps.

Firstly adult male crested geckos will have a bulge like so…

Females can sometimes have a little bulge, but it’s usually very clear which is male. Below is a female with a slight bulge, as you can see it’s not visible from top view

However it is harder to tell the sex when crested geckos are young. I check the sex of my crested geckos as little as 6 grams, however I wouldn’t recommend below 10g if just starting out.

Here is a pic of a young 10g crested gecko, just above the black line are the pores which that run along the underneath of the cresties back legs, this tells me the Crestie is male.

Female cresties can have pores, however they don’t form the consistent line like you see in males.

Please note, pores are not always visible, pores can appear later on so this is not a guarantee of sex… Just to give people an idea.

I find using a jewellers loop makes the process easier

8 Likes

Ideal. I get people asking me all the time!
I sex mine from 3g, then I check again at 5 and 10. Touch wood not been wrong yet! :sweat_smile:
Though personally speaking, I have Never seen a pore on a female to this day. Which is why when sexing at 5 I know 100% what the sex is.
Also some males will get a bulge early, 5g early. Usually around 10g you know without looping too! Should be obvious he is a he, in some cases a bulge may not appear til a bit layer on which I know you’ve had with one or your males! I also had this with Pod, was around 18g? When it really popped out! :joy: He had a slight bulge but fully developed then. But he was sexed at 5g as a Male so I expected it! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I have also sexed Cresties from as little as 3g but only with a jewellers loop. Most people don’t have this so thought I’d base it without the loop. Most of my males haven’t shown any bulge to 15g.

I haven’t got any wrong, so far and I’ve not seen a female with pores but I know they exist so didn’t want to confuse anyone.

3 Likes

i’m gonna be honest… not seeing the pores in your picture lol. Could you maybe point out more exactly where they are/what they look like. I’m used to with bearded dragons having it really easy to see the pores so i’m having trouble seeing them lol. I don’t have a jewellers loop so i may just have to wait until later with Spike to sex him. I’ll have to weigh him to see how big he is cause i haven’t done that yet

2 Likes

Definitely weigh him

So I marked a line where the pores are.
Here is the same pic but altered.
The pores are between the two lines
The pores are dots in the middle ISH of each between the two lines

1 Like

Could you show a pic of a female, for comparison?

1 Like

Oh yes i see them! Thank you! I’ll weigh him later today and try to take another look.

1 Like

Not as much of a close up, but if you zoom in, you should be able to see that there are no pores

1 Like

Male and female. :grin:

Can’t miss them pores! And balls :joy:

Females can have ‘psuedo pores’ as you can see, but basically nothing there. And males are BAM in your face :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I just weighed him and he is 3g so it might be to early to sex him for sure. I tried to get a picture but he was not standing still so it’s not very good. I’m not seeing anything but i’m also inexperienced so idk for sure lol.

Will need a clearer and up close pic. :blush:
But at 3g it could still change if none seen.

3 Likes

As said, would need a closer pic and may be worth waiting.

As that’s very small

1 Like

Yeah i was planning on waiting for a bit before getting a second one until i’m sure if he’s a boy or girl anyway. Thank you guys!

1 Like