First Crested Gecko Baby!

Look forward to it!

That’s ok, not everyone handles!
I’m just a very hand on person and handle from day one :sweat_smile:
Wonder if any of the older or adults have had enough of me yet? :thinking::joy:
Would love to know what they think when my face just appears in front of them or a hand comes in the viv :rofl:

3 Likes

For the unnamed girly, maybe echo or Delta. Or if she is sweet honey or cupcake. She is very pretty so maybe Artemis

2 Likes

I’m starting to work on an enclosure but I’m not sure on substrate. Would sphagnum moss work as substrate to avoid impaction or would it need to be ABG or coco-fiber? Bioactive isn’t too important right now but it would be nice to have plants (I can keep them in pots if I need to).

Our Hatchlings go straight into enclosures with the same substrate as adults the day they hatch here. No risks of impaction etc. All are perfectly healthy and happy!
So you could do- coco fibre mixed with sphagnum moss and orchid bark :blush: I also add leaves in, they like to hide under them :relaxed:

1 Like

Any updates pics on the little one? How’s s/he doing? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m not home now but when I am I’ll move Lucky into a new enclosure and add pictures.

4 Likes

Sweet, I can’t wait to see.

3 Likes

If you want plants, then I’d suggest bio-active. I won’t be putting my hatchlings straight into bio-active just yet, but I’ve put all my purchased Cresties straight into bio-active enclosures and I’ve received some as low as 2/3g with no issues.

Can’t wait to see updated pics :relaxed:

2 Likes

I didn’t to start with. Now I do, and they’re all currently smashing crickets with no issues. My god they’re fast little buggers!! :rofl:
I just chucked some in and they’re appearing from
Nowhere?! :flushed:

2 Likes

I have the container mostly set up. I’ll add pictures once I add Lucky. It looked bigger empty so I might rehouse to a larger enclosure in about a month or so.

1 Like

I totally forgot to add pictures. :man_facepalming: I was planning on moving Lucky in except I noticed a bit of mold (I added springtails) and the enclosure does seem small. I don’t think I’m going to use this but I might (the flower in there is actually real, it flowered a couple days after I planted it). For an enclosure I have a large one but I think that might be too big (unless I added multiple food sources; it would make it hard to monitor Lucky). There’s an expo tomorrow and there’s usually a vendor with exo-terras. I might buy an 18x18x24 for my adults (they seem a bit cramped in their current enclosure) and a smaller one for Lucky (if I can afford both).

1 Like

It might be a little too small for lucky now. Looks pretty though. What plant did you use?

If the grown ups enclosure is getting too small, what about upgrading them and moving lucky into their old enclosure? Or are they still too big for you to monitor lucky?

2 Likes

I’m actually not sure on the plant, a vendor had a ton of small plants/plant clippings for $1 each, so I bought 20 and all but 3 went in my dart frog enclosure.
The adults enclosure is 20"x18"x20" (50cm x 46cm x 50cm), the only reason it’s too small is because it’s hard for me to fit branches in it and after I replaced older wood with cork bark (it started to mold) I had trouble keeping the vertical decorations from falling. I was planning on getting the 18x18x24 and making a custom background and putting the 2 females in it and keeping the male in the smaller one.

2 Likes

Here’s a picture of the new enclosure. I’m going to add more climbing and hiding decoration and the plants should fill in. I added 3 food dishes (since it’s large for a small baby) and I have space for an escape-proof dish for feeding insects (I’m not going to release live insects into an enclosure, especially with a risk of impaction). I can’t get a good picture of Lucky right now but you can kind of see him at the top left under the fake leaves.

4 Likes

Typical Crestie :camera:

I remember when I first set up a little enclosure, I put in a piece Lilly, now the plant has taken over :sweat_smile: I will cut it back when I have a cutie to go inside :crossed_fingers:

Lucky has plenty of climbing places :+1:

I use small a glass candle holder to put dubia roaches and Wax worms in.

3 Likes

That’s a good idea for food, I might also experiment with 2 oz deli cups.

1 Like

Awesome little enclosure!! What’s make? :blush:
Good idea with bowls if that’s what you feel comfortable with :blush: Those ‘GU’ dessert ones would be ideal!
I personally don’t use any, from day one with tiny crickets and wax worms I get them hunting! Touch wood never any problems! But as you keep breeding you will soon realise they’re not as ‘fragile’ as you think! I was so worried about everything when I first started out with Kaneki, he was my delicate little flower in my eyes, even holding him I was worried I’d hurt him.
Well Tonight 2 babies splatted on the floor, they’re all good! :rofl:

3 Likes

It’s a Zilla 8x10x15" (20x25x38cm) tank.

Well they’re still fragile to me. :rofl: I’m sure I’ll get over it but for now I am over-caring for them. When I do feed free food I’ll at least add vegetables so they don’t eat the gecko.

2 Likes

Ooh never heard of that, love the one door design!
Can’t wait to see lucky grow! Assuming you keep him/her :blush:

2 Likes

I would say exo-terras are better, this tank has some gaps (not large enough for a baby gecko but big enough for feeders or wild bugs) but this was the only thing I could find at the expo, it still works for what I need but exo-terras are still my go-to.

3 Likes