First Crested Gecko Baby!

I love exo terras, they are great for crestie needs. My only concern is the mesh top, a few of my Cresties have lost some scales because they seem to like the top of the enclosure, didn’t affect most of my Cresties though.

I bought a couple of non exo Terra enclosures for young Cresties, but they just aren’t as good quality wise… So much so that the front door doesn’t open, I have to open the top :pensive:

2 Likes

If you wanted to try it you can easily replace the top screen with acrylic. There are tons of threads about replacing the screen for tarantulas on arachnoboards. It would be the same concept for cresties.

3 Likes

But I like the air flow the mesh provides. I’ve added some foam and Coco fibre to some of the roof as a fix, seems to have worked. I just worry about having the UV light on parts of it

2 Likes

You can drill holes in acrylic except that can be tricky and it won’t be as much air flow as screen. You could also use perforated metal.

2 Likes

Actually I remembered this wrong and it was a 20" x 10" x 20" (50cm x 25cm x 50cm)

1 Like

Tbh Lucky probably would of been okay in that size. But I prefer to slowly upgrade them.

Definitely too small for 3 Cresties. Did you find a bigger one in the end?

3 Likes

I couldn’t find any there. I might buy a small temporary enclosure for one so it’s not over packed. I have a smaller enclosure that I could use (it would be big enough for one temporarily). Can cresties be kept on paper towels or shallow substrate for a short time?

2 Likes

I have seen several keepers keep their Cresties on paper towels long term (I wouldn’t recommend though) but shallow substrate would be okay too, some of my Cresties enclosures have shallow substrate.

I wouldn’t recommend anything smaller for too long or you could stress him out. But hopefully that will give you time to find the ladies a bigger home.

4 Likes

It’s been a while since I posted here but here are some updated pictures. I think Monkey was the parent since from the other babies I’ve hatched, Lucky doesn’t have pinstripe or tricolor/harlequin and has a lot of red tones now.

Here are some pictures I was able to get, @ghoulishcresties @foxreptile. Do you think Lucky is a male or female? I was originally pretty sure there were pores but with this picture I don’t think there are.

2 Likes

I don’t see pores :grin:
Also is that lucky?
If so, she is a harlequin pin dash Dalmatian.

4 Likes

All those pictures are of Lucky. Thanks for the help with sexing and ID.

4 Likes

I don’t see pores, however when I zoom the pic quality fades in that area. If Lucky is up against glass/plastic or something, then still a possibility for pores, however if not up against glass/plastic etc then looks to be female.

Also looks to have portholes

Looks so cute :lizard:

2 Likes

Lucky is against glass, it was slightly out of focus so it’s hard to tell. I was thinking that it could be a male but I still think female is likely since I don’t see any, but we’ll see when Lucky gets bigger.

2 Likes

So I’d say 50/50. I’ve had a few males not show pores well when pressed up against the glass & only tell with a looper.

2 Likes

Maybe you can use your new micro lense?

2 Likes

That was with the lens except I was using auto exposure (since I was also trying to hold a flashlight on it for good lighting). It didn’t end up well since I was using a small depth of field, so most of it wasn’t in focus. I took the picture again using my ring light and manual aperture and I was able to get a clearer picture. I couldn’t see pores but the picture went straight through a dirty part of the glass, so you can’t see much in the picture. I’m going to take another picture later when Lucky’s in a better position and you can actually see clearly if there’s pores or not.

1 Like

Here’s a better picture I was able to get, the water spots still make it kind of tricky to tell for certain but this picture is better than the last one. I don’t see any pores so I think Lucky is a female.

3 Likes

No pores seen no :blush:

3 Likes

I don’t see pores either :blush:

2 Likes

So she is a lucky girl!

2 Likes