First ever crestie pair for Inspiration Exotics

Just wanted to post another update. The frog butt hatchling actually ended up passing suddenly one day. Because of it losing its tail in the egg, I wonder if there might have been something wrong with it. It seemed to do pretty well for about two months, but just passed one morning. The clutch sibling is totally fine, and all of my others seem to be healthy and growing well. I now have seven healthy hatchlings from Ketterdam, and five healthy hatchlings from Molly, all sired by Mozart. I haven’t taken any fancy new pictures but here’s a pic of my definite holdback from a couple days ago (2201):

Looks like it’s going to be a gorgeous tricolor…
And then another one that’s impressing me with progression (2206)

4 Likes

They both look very cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Some comparison pics! It’s so hard not to take pictures of them every day, lol.

My holdback at hatching vs now (almost 6g, NPV so far):

One (2204) that hatched out very dark but is almost always a grey lavender base now (no idea if it’s actually a lavender, but sure is gorgeous):

And then one that looked pretty meh out of the egg, but I’m now considering as a holdback (2206):

I now have five hatchlings from my red base female Molly and Mozart, the sire of all of my hatchlings this year. The goal in breeding them originally was to make myself a red harlequin holdback. After reading through the morph info that @lmr_lmreptiles that red seems to be a recessive inheritance, I’m crossing my fingers, since mom was red and dad’s paternal grandfather was red, so his mom would have carried one copy of it and he may or may not have gotten it from her. None of those little ones are past the 3g mark yet, and I know reds can take a while to develop.

Anyway, let me know what y’all think! Like I said, this is my first year breeding cresties and I’m thrilled with how they’ve turned out, but wading into the foray once they get big enough to start letting go (probably in the spring) is a little intimidating.

4 Likes

Very nice! I love that your showing the progression too. I can’t wait to see updated pics of the reds :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m hoping to breed my red geckos next year :crossed_fingers:

I agree, keep them the longer the better :blush: selling baby geckos is also something I have to face next year. I don’t think I got anything I wanted this year :sob: but still letting them go will be hard & scary :pleading_face: and I’m sure I’ll keep at least one back :wink:

2 Likes

May of missed this when reading.

But I’ve gotten a lot of reds from a parent that is from a long line of reds and red itself. But other parent isn’t a red and not form a line of reds at all to my knowledge, no red at all in lines.
For instance Akira (red morph) and Kaneki (No red in lines) and all babs were red, and red hypo, one red even turned lav which is how I knew she was hypo. Have had other pairings also like this.

So not sure I agree with recessive… :thinking:

Even had reds from a pair where no reds known :grinning:

Red a pain, well can be. You either hatch them red and they stay red or they can take up for 35g to develop! But of a surprise. :laughing:

3 Likes

I have no personal experience to draw from, lol, since this is my first year breeding! I could have read the guide wrong as well. But I guess we’ll see once some of these start coloring up. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Since in lines you’ll get reds out randomly anyway though, but very lovely babs!
I really like the second one :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Took the nice day today as possibly the last before winter, so I got some updated pictures! I have one more egg incubating and two little babies I haven’t taken pictures of yet, so looks like I’ll end the season with (hopefully) 13 babies. I think it was an awesome season, especially for my first one!

Posting the updated pictures here for your perusal - tell me which ones you like best! Also, since this is my first year producing and IDing my own geckos, I’m including my guess at what an ID would be. All in the 3-4g range except the first two, which have both surpassed 6g. Most are unfortunately only partially fired, but what can you do? Tell me if y’all agree/disagree? Any help appreciated! Gotta learn somehow!

KeMz2201 (holdback, NPV): Dark base harlequin tri-color partial pin?

KeMz2202 (PPV): Dark base wacky harlequin partial pin?

KeMz2204 (has weird crests?): Harlequin partial pin poss tri-color?

KeMz2205 (possible holdback): Dark base full pinstripe harlequin(?) and I don’t know if this counts as white wall?

KeMz2206 (possible holdback): Dark base high contrast harlequin tri-color with portholes??

KeMz2207: Dark base partial pinstripe harlequin?

KeMz2208 (unfortunately wouldn’t fire for the photos): Dashed partial pin high(?) expression harlequin pssible tri-color?

MoMz2201: Possible red/pinkish base flame/low expression harlequin??

MoMz2202: Brown base low expression harlequin(?) with dal spots

MoMz2203 (Will be a holdback if it turns red): ?? base harlequin?

The two babies I haven’t taken pictures of are from Molly (red dalmatian) X Mozart (black base harlequin tri-color) and the last egg in the incubator is from them as well!

3 Likes

Firstly sooooooooooo cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I wouldn’t worry too much about ID just yet as they can suprise you.

But here is my ID of them:

KeMz2201 - Partial pin, extreme harlequin, tricolour probably dark base but can’t see it in pic

KeMz2202 - Hard to say, need side pic. But I’m guessing part pin, harlequin with portholes, again can’t see in pic but probably dark base

KeMz2204 - part pin, extreme harlequin with portholes & snowflake. I think I see spots, in which case Dal spots also. I think the head of going to be amazing when bigger

KeMz2205 - not a white wall. Pinstripe, extreme harlequin, tricolour, dark base, possible white tips

KeMz2206 - part pin, extreme harlequin, tricolour, white tips possibly Snowflake too. My favourite!

KeMz2207 - part pin, harlequin, tricolour, possible dark base but can’t see in pic

KeMz2208 - hard to say as not fired but looks to be pin dash extreme harlequin with portholes. Would love to see a fired up pic as looks to have an almost Tiger effect!

MoMz2201 - part pin, harlequin. Would love to see the base colour when bigger but I agree probably red. Second favourite

MoMz2202 - pin dash, dalmation (depend on how many spots as might be Dal spots, but will likely gain more with age), harlequin. Not sure on base colour, would need fired up pics.

MoMz2203 - pin dash, harlequin. Again hard to say as not fired, would be great to see fired up

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the ID suggestions! I’ll definitely wait quite a while before I try to officially label them, but I like to have an idea of what to start looking for when they’re small so I can track that as they get bigger! Especially since this is my first year breeding cresties and I’m accustomed to ball pythons, which have very simple incomplete dominants and recessives that you can see clearly from hatch. :blush:

2 Likes

And I guess I’ll add that I said dark base for most of the Ketterdam X Mozart babies because both mom and dad are dark base with no yellows or reds I’m aware of on dad’s side, so I’m expecting just dark bases from them. But it’s possible they could surprise me!

2 Likes

Yeah, I gathered that’s why you put dark base. I expect they will likely be dark base but you never know :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This year is also my first year at breeding my Cresties. I’d planned to do so for many many years but was waiting for the right time.

I have spent a long time researching morphs / traits. We also have bps but I find the genetics a little more complicated compared to Cresties, I’m getting there though.

Do you have any pairings planned for next year?

1 Like

That’s interesting! I actually find crestie genetics to be way more complicated, I think because of how polygenic they can be and how much they change. I started with ball pythons and all of my balls have very easily visible inc doms or recessives. But I’ve also always been fascinated with genetics, so they came pretty easy to me when I started balls!

I only have one pairing planned next year. Giving Ketterdam (my dark pin female) the year off as I don’t have a different male to pair to her, and my red lilly female won’t be quite old enough yet. But I am planning to pair Molly, my red base dal female, to Pongo, my gorgeous yellow super dalmatian who just wasn’t quiiiite big enough this year.

Molly:

And Pongo, her boyfriend for next season:

4 Likes

Pongo is a really nice super dal. Hopefully they will make some nice babies together :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Just one holdback update! This little one is 7g and still no pores visible, so looking possibly female. I put together this comparison to see what it looked like 2 weeks after hatch vs. now.

3 Likes

Definitely a cutie :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I realized I still haven’t shared most of the babies from my second pairing here, and especially not fired up! So here they are. These are all from my red dal female Molly and Mozart, the harlequin male who sired all of this year’s babies.

MzMo2201 (looks a bit pink fired down, this is fully fired at 4g)

MzMo2202, the only one (so far) to have developed dal spots

MzMo2203, my potential holdback if it turns red. Lots of pattern!

MzMo2204 (not completely fired, but mostly)

MzMo2205, fully fired, still only around 2.5g

And then one final hatchling that is doing great but is still really small, so I haven’t taken it out for nice photos yet. I’m definitely having trouble telling if these will turn red or not, but none of them are past 5g yet.

2 Likes

Aaaaand this is the last baby from Molly X Mozart that I hadn’t posted a picture of yet. I’m curious how many of the Molly X Mozart babies will go red. It’s also looking like only one so far, 2202 (that I can see, at least) has developed any dal spots at all, the other 5 seem to be completely clean.

1 Like

Maybe they will stay clean! I think 3 will be red geckos (just guessing).

They are all cute though

A progression update! My two holdbacks from Mozart X Ketterdam:

KeMz2201:

KeMz2206:

And on the babies from Mozart and Molly, it’s looking like every baby except for one is turning red. So, 5/6 red?

3 Likes