First Expo Since Quarantine

This is a pre post,. I’m too excited not to post. First expo since quarantine for me is this weekend, hopefully getting a Hognose female, I already bought some isopods and Millipedes I have to pickup there. If I see a nice Visual recessive female BP I like, not going to break the bank or get something that doesn’t fit my plans. Hopefully talk to some breeders try not to buy anything else,. I have an aboreal setup ready and a terrestrial that can go wet or dry, ready Just incase. My weaknesses are cave geckos and a pixie frog. I’ll have to limit myself, no one is free to go. We’ll see how I do. Those are really my plans through the end of the year though. If I don’t get anything this time, always next. I’ll post pics after I get home with them.

5 Likes

Which expo you headed to? I need to get familiar with expos and where they are held. Hopefully i can find a few in my area. Would definitely be cool to go to one at least once!

2 Likes

That is awesome to hear

1 Like

PA isnt terrible of a drive from where i am on the east coast. Busy this year unfortunately but ill have to check them out next year! Id love to know how the stop goes and what interesting critters they got so i can see if it would be worth the trip :slight_smile: good luck! Hope you get a good deal on one of the animals you are looking for!

1 Like

Definitely, Thanks. No stress I’m not the only one amped up for it. Gettysburg has been getting bigger and better every time,. November is going to be bigger even. Hots are there too, good variety.

I was planning to go to a herpshow expo in Slidell Louisiana next weekend. I was postponed until October due to COVID. I’m glad we are being watched put for, but I really,realy wanted to go.

2 Likes

I had the same plans to go and vend at the Cold Blooded show up here in MN in late July.
I postponed due to Covid, just not worth the risk and my fiancée is high risk so going to have to play it safe for awhile.
Very disappointed tho, it would have been the first show I vended at.

5 Likes

They had the H.E.R.P.S reptile show in Conroe TX a few weeks a go and I know a lot of people went. I desperately wanted too, but it’s just not safe right now. Hopefully things will be better next year

5 Likes

Our numbers are down which is promising but the other states are going up,. I know I’m taking the risk. They are even social distancing the vendor tables. Trying to be in and out,. Not going to go first thing hopefully it’ll thin out.

just a fyi the hamburg show is aug. 3rd theres a post on there fb page check out if interested!

2 Likes

I’m high risk as well, so expos are not an option for me. I’m honestly really disappointed that they are still holding any at all this year- it’s a terrible idea. The longer the pandemic rages, the longer I (and others like me- the young, old, and infirm) can’t leave my house for fear of dying. I have to wait until the middle of the night to go check my mail because I live in a crappy complex fuly of selfish, rude people, and I haven’t been able to move because of the pandemic. My sister is getting married in August and I’m literally afraid I will die and leave my pets orphaned just because I have to travel. (It is not an option for me not to go for personal reasons.) My caregiver can’t come for 2 weeks after I get back, and I’m not capable of taking my garbage and recycling out. I really wish people would stop politicizing wearing a mask and staying home when you can- it’s not about protecting yourself, it’s about protecting others. It’s not about democrat or republican- it’s about whether you want to save lives, or if you just care about your own.

9 Likes

So true, people should just care

3 Likes

I understand and am still up in the air about going more so this week as the event gets closer. I have been on lock down since the week of my birthday. I don’t see it as being political, it’s kind of embarrassing how the American people have acted and how states are acting. Health and sound sciences should out weigh political and economic decision. I’ve never felt so seperated by imaginary lines as I do now. I’m an “essential” worker and have had no choice but to continue on in and out of places of risk. I was given hazard pay as compensation which was taken away a month ago. (Disaster adverted). We and hard hit states from the beginning sat here locked down while other states seemed to go on about their business. Some still do as the numbers grow in those states. It worries me everyday,. The only thing I go out for is groceries and essential needs. Nothing I say can justify going , it’s selfish. Vendors from various area, visitors from all over. It weighs heavy on me.

5 Likes

I agree with you 100% and was shocked that they had the reptile show in Conroe near the end of June. The cases in Houston were already skyrocketing, near 100% ICU capacity, and from the pictures I saw of the show, it was pretty full and nobody was wearing a mask.

Don’t get me wrong, I love a good reptile show/expo and would have loved to go, but it’s not really essential right now. I would have loved to see them try to an online version where all the local breeders uploaded an album of the snakes they had available and then scheduled times you could meet them somewhere safe to pick up your purchase. It’s understandable that shopping for reptiles online isn’t nearly as nice as seeing them in person, but once again, not really essential right now.

As a scientist, seeing people blatantly ignore or deny science right now is making me die a little bit inside. I think we should retire the phrase “avoid it like the plague” because as it turns out, people don’t do that at all

7 Likes

A lot of the shows I’ve seen have been limiting occupancy and breaking for cleaning and some even requiring masks (I’m not going to get on the topic of masks or anything of the such because it is such a controversial topic right now with many reports going both ways.) I was going to go to ReptiDay in Ft Myers FL a couple weeks ago, but after looking at the vendor list decided it just wasn’t worth the money. I am going to try and make the expo in Daytona Beach at the end of August though.

1 Like

Since the up tick in cases in the states surrounding us the Governor Of PA just releases new guidelines effective July 16th “Indoor gatherings are limited to 25 people and outdoor gatherings will still be limited to 250 people or less.”. I don’t have to make a decision now it seems.

1 Like

just my 2 sense, and not at all to attack anyone else, but i have a different perspective because of my job. I am military and so am considered an essential worker. I get sent all over the place, but am exempt to quarantines because it is official business (and this apparantly makes me immune to contracting or spreading the disease i guess). I work every Weekday of the week, and am constantly in a state of repairing my house any spare second i get. It is impossible for me to avoid the public, and if im out in uniform, many wish to shake my hand or thank me for my service, and then it gets awkward because i dont want to potentially infect them, but also dont want to snub them. I try to politely thank them or offer an elbow bump, but im sure you have seen some of the overly patriotic fellows and gals, and it isnt always a sure thing. I have been to 3 different states in the past 2 months.

My point of bringing all of this up, is that for me, it has long since been a moot point to protect myself. I can try (and do take proper precautions) but between all i have to do (as well as all my fellow service members do) and then interacting with other service members every day, its basically a hopeless situation.

So my viewpoint is instead, that i avoid those who would be most affected of they were to get it. I havent seen my grandmother in months for her safety. So for something like a reptile expo, would i do it? Absolutely. I have to expose myself so much for business reasons and sometimes downright silly reasons, that i would not feel all that guilty about attending an expo, provided i took all the same precautions i would when going to a store or a relatives house. I am not worried about being infected, and there are many steps i can take to protect others. It is not a matter of thinking the disease doesn’t exist, nor is it a matter of thinking it isnt dangerous. It is precisely because it is so understood now that i feel comfortable with the precautions i can take to keep others safe, that i wouldnt worry. And the knowledge that i will risk the same anywhere else im forced to go, so why not do something for me?

Edited to change every day of the week to “every WEEKDAY of the week” i do get weekends off haha.

5 Likes

As I mentioned, mask-wearing is primarily to protect others from the mask-wearer, unless you’re wearing a medical-grade mask. Additionally, there are many asymptomatic carriers- they show no or few signs, or haven’t finished the incubation period and haven’t started showing symptoms yet. It is not at all about protecting oneself- it is about protecting others.

This is relevant because the pandemic keeps me from reptile expos. Also I can’t have animals shipped to my apartment, I have to go to a hub to pick up (due to extended shipping times and high temperatures), which involves being in a high-traffic public space and being around other people. I have rarely left my house for months, and I want to be able to go see snakes and lizard and inverts, etc.

As an unhealthy person, expos are the only way I’ll ever get to see and be around some species in person- I’m not capable of caring properly for a chelonian, for example, or an iguana, and that’s unlikely to change. So the longer that covid-19 rages on, the fewer opportunities I’ll ever have to see and be around animals that fascinate me. :pensive:

2 Likes

i feel you, and as i stated, i still take precautions to protect others. Im not walking around like typhoid marry haha. I fully understand the science behind social distancing and mask wearing. It isnt about complete prevention, it is a matter of risk reduction. Honestly with how everythings been going it seems it would have been faster and better to let the healthy population get the disease since their plasma after recovery is medicine for those who are heavily affected by it, and with any luck herd immunity would have kicked in a while ago. But we didnt have nearly as much info when this disease first started, and playing it safe with a lack of info is always the best option.

Anyways, i hope things do get better soon, and i only meant to share a different perspective (such as you have done as a person more heavily affected by the disease). I do not wish to argue about or mitigate something that clearly has a heavy impact on your life, plus it seems to be drifting too far away from the OP topic haha. Suffice it to say, we can both agree the sooner COVID19 is done, the better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just an update, the show is back on,. They are listed as retail/entertainment and can operate at 50 percent capacity as of right now. At 50p. They are able to allow in 1,250 people into the given area at one time. The owner of the facility has given the go ahead.

2 Likes