First litter of ASFs

Time to see if they survive or if the others turn into cannibals. Ive kept their protein intake between 23-30% so hopefully that wont be an issue :slight_smile:

The cage is temporary to get things started a bit before the full setup arrives.

13 Likes

Hopefully it works out :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Good luck.

4 Likes

Congratulations on your first litter! If she hasn’t eaten a baby within the first 10 - 12 hours then you are most likely in the clear! :partying_face:

5 Likes

I’ve got a newbie Q, I hope you don’t mind. Are ASFs more prone to cannibalism than other feeder rodents? I have raised ordinary mice but have no experience with ASFs at all.

1 Like

They were still healthy and fussing around last night, so they survived at least 24 hours. I mixed in some 34% protein dog food with their 23% protein rat food once i saw they looked pregnant as i had read if there is a protein shortage, that can trigger the cannibalism. I was very worried about the first litter though haha, cant wait to see the fur start to come in :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So far as ive read, they are pretty notorious for it if things arent right for them. Stess, environment, nutrition, etc. When everything is good, they are communal and will all participate in caring for the young, not just the actual mother, but when things are out of whack, good luck.

At least thats what i read. This is my first litter, @akmorphs has INFINITELY more experience than my google searches haha

4 Likes

It’s a very well known fact that first time moms for ASFs will eat their first litter. The main reason this happens is because of stress. Stress though isn’t due to the environment or food for this first cycle. They are literally stressed they had babies (go figure, right?). Once they get it out of their system, they are fine to move forward with additional litters.

Females who continuously eat their litters will have a protein issue, and their diet will need to be adjusted. However, if they keep obliterating their litters after you’ve changed their diet and whatnot then it’s time to just cull the female. Those are just genetics you don’t want floating around.

3 Likes

All I can say is that it’s a darn good thing humans who are stressed by producing babies don’t exhibit those cannibalistic tendencies. Goodness knows I found my first “litter” stressful! The next round was so much easier, with just one. Maybe the ASFs feel the same.

2 Likes

I’d look through this thread if you haven’t already, it’s been a wealth of knowledge for myself and other users here.

3 Likes

I want to stay very far away from the potential political rabbit hole on this one haha, but something i would be curious about is if things like postpartum depression had any kind of relevance. Yes its not canibalism, but it can lead to the destruction and neglect of offspring. Still a bit of a rabbit hole, but a curiosity none the less.

2 Likes

Ive lurked many haha, im currently using a fairly large cage to keep stress down since they like climbing. They have 2 running wheels, and i put the food down at the top to keep them from… ruining it. So far they have all been happy enough.

1 Like

I am pretty sure with their sizes the ones i got are pretty young, but dont know if first time litter. Perhaps the breeder i got them from gave me already producing females since i made it clear i was starting a colony, in which case ill have to thank them for sparing me the trauma haha

1 Like

Babies are all still alive healthy and VERY active :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Glad to see your babies are still un-cannibalized.

4 Likes

Uhhhhhhhhhh… soo… it has rapidly come to my attention… these bars wont hold baby rats in… oh no.

(Found one of the fuzzy babies on the floor near the cage, which is what sparked this eureka moment xD)

Time for penik…

Edit: the baby was OK and returned to its mother who quickly came and got her when i returned her to the mouth of the den.

4 Likes

How do you supplement protein? Typically an animal (including cows) will eat birds or small animals to supplement protein for their developing young or if they have a weak diet. If you only gave rats a bowl of carrots every day as a staple diet, they would try to get their protein and other missing nutrients from a cage mate. (do not try) Mice and Rats require added protein during pregnancy and nursing but it is harder to find rat food with that much extra protein. Cooking eggs every day would be tedious and messy without a dining tub in the main set up. Also, some protein is a lot more potent than other protein. The same quantity of protein from beans (50 grams) is not as powerful as the same amount of protein found in Steak or Chicken (50 grams) so how do you supplement extra needed protein and what do you utilize to get consistently good results? My thought is to dehydrate beef and make unseasoned beef jerky sticks, has anyone tried this?

1 Like

I cant say its the best method, but it seems to work for me, their staple diet is mazuri mouse and rat food (23% protein) and i also have available to them crave dog food (30+% proteing) they eat both depending on their needs and so far no cannibalism

3 Likes

So it appears I have been successful at starting a colony, they are all helping in caring for the young, there are at least 2 litters, but i think all 3 may have been born by now, there are multiple baby clusters with different aged babies :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The only time I had any cannibalism was when one of the cats got on top of the cage and was stressing the mom out while she was delivering. No first time mom problems.
We feed mazuri rat and mouse breeders formula along with doggy bag dog food from tractor supply. We give weekly treats dog biscuits, a wild bird seed mix, some freeze dried liver treats, mealworm blocks and other treats.
I had three colonies of 1:2 but I took down two because of aggression. I built one large colony of 2:8 and still have one of the 1:2. The large colony just started producing a little over a week ago and now there’s something like 35-45 babies in there.

3 Likes